Timing Belt Costs

Apologies, I know this question must come up time and again...

Just discovered that I'm in need, nae over due a timing belt change. Phone Skoda here in Aberdeen, they want £400 for the job. They'll do the water pump at the same time for the cost of the pump if I want.

I haven't got round to phoning an independent yet, that's this afternoons job, but what would you fine folk expect to be paying for such a job?

Tom

From an independent garage I would expect to pay about £250 inc timing belt kit & water pump.

That sounds a lot better than £400.

Is that taking what ever kit the independent decides to use, or insisting on kosha parts or... I guess basically, I should I be insisting on certain parts being used so that if it goes pair shaped it's covered?

Tom

OK, so independent is the way to go on costs. I've had a butchers on eBay for the kit, more out of interest than anything, seems the most common one is Gates, for about £120. Anyone any experience of Gates, any good? They claim to supply lots of people, but I can write that on an advert too.

Tom

OK, someone is having a laugh, I've had 2 quotes today one for a tenner less than Skoda, one for £20 more than Skoda!

Best I've been offered so far is £345, doesn't include the water pump.

Must be someone in Aberdeen who does this at a sensible price.

Tom

To the people that are suggesting £250 all in, LOL, in 1973 perhaps! OP, you'll do well to beat the price you're getting quoted at a reputable garage, with all the bits replaced that should be replaced. It is a lot of work and there is the liability issue should your engine lunch itself soon after belt replacement! No garage is going to do that for peanuts.

I just paid £250 for a genuine cambelt kit, metal waterpump and fresh coolant.

When you sat £250, I'm guessing that wasn't fitted?

The prices that I'm, getting from TPS or similar are nearly that just for the components.

Tom