DSG fuel consumption

Maybe the air is a lot cleaner and sweeter in Gods own county.

Thankfully my days of traipsing round the home counties are coming to an end!

Old Johann and the lads should get themselves up here and we can race over fly flats if he wants some proper off road. Mind you probably lose them down a pot hole!!!

Well I'm prepared to believe that Yorkshire is "God's own county". There is, after all, an awful lot of work for him to do here, smiting sinners and the like. I've noticed quite a lot of fire, flood and pestilence since I've been exiled up here, which is pretty good evidence of him hard at work. However, Norfolk is where he goes for his holidays! :D

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Johann and the lads should get themselves up here and we can race over fly flats if he wants some proper off road. Mind you probably lose them down a pot hole!!!

Oh I'd love to have proper mountains and things at my doorstep to use my Yeti on.... ah, nah wait, that is Wales and Scotland..... there are no mountains in Yorkshire!! Just slightly higher and lower hills. :giggle: At least it has a few more than Lincolnshire which is a pancake!

Oh I'd love to have proper mountains and things at my doorstep to use my Yeti on.... ah, nah wait, that is Wales and Scotland..... there are no mountains in Yorkshire!! Just slightly higher and lower hills. :giggle:

Plenty of off road and big hills in Yorkshire and the most welcoming folk in the UK.

Oh.... and the best beer!!

• 3 weeks later...

I took Elsie away for a night with Swmbo and treated (Elsie) gently emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

She returned 44mpg over approx. 200 miles of motorway, A roads and some B & C roads. Quite a hilly journey from Croydon out to Oxfordshire and back. max journey length was 75 miles.

That is my best ever so far.

Later this month going down to Newquay for the weekend, so should give even better as will be slower journey over much longer distance.

Three fillups to date. First included a gentle 200 mile trip to bring it home = 37.5mpg. Second and third all very average trips neither all short nor mega long with hardly any traffic jams and not driving hard = 32mpg and 32.5mpg respectively. Not especially spectacular, I wouldn't have said.

Alll brim to brim (1 click of the pump) worked out with a calculator @ 4.54 conversion.

This is a 1.2 DSG, two up with some odd 'breakdown / be prepared' type bits and pieces on board adding some extra weight, but not exactly a lot.

Think I'll P/X it for a diesel DSG 140 Elegance (I only needed a very minor excuse):smirk:

Edited by oldstan

Three fillups to date. First included a gentle 200 mile trip to bring it home = 37.5mpg. Second and third all very average trips neither all short nor mega long with hardly any traffic jams and not driving hard = 32mpg and 32.5mpg respectively. Not especially spectacular, I wouldn't have said.

Alll brim to brim (1 click of the pump) worked out with a calculator @ 4.54 conversion.

This is a 1.2 DSG, two up with some odd 'breakdown / be prepared' type bits and pieces on board adding some extra weight, but not exactly a lot.

Think I'll P/X it for a diesel DSG 140 Elegance (I only needed a very minor excuse):smirk:

That's not too bad for a 1.2 DSG (remembering that it is a petrol engine); fairly much the same as my wife's' Roomster 1.6 tip (auto) with comparable power.

That's not too bad for a 1.2 DSG (remembering that it is a petrol engine); fairly much the same as my wife's' Roomster 1.6 tip (auto) with comparable power.

No, in reality I'm not all that bothered, bs. It's lovely to drive and we like it very much - and it's as safe as they get in that size of car. It'll probably loosen up a bit and might get a bit better, but my Jazz CVT didn't do loads to the gallon and that was a good bit smaller than this thing....and I even bought a little Hyundai i10 (just so I could use the scrappage scheme, really) and that didn't do anything like what it was supposed to either - so I've obviously got either (a) no idea how to drive or (b)a heavy right foot or © don't do enough long motorway journeys at 56mph.

Averaging 38mpg in our 1.2 DSG, which has still only got less than 3000 miles on the clock.

On a run (which isn't very often) it does over 40.

Quite happy with that, we fill it up once a month.

Averaging 38mpg in our 1.2 DSG, which has still only got less than 3000 miles on the clock.

On a run (which isn't very often) it does over 40.

Quite happy with that, we fill it up once a month.

I'm often uncertain whether to give it an 'Italian Tune Up' and clear out some cobwebs and aid the running in process but when I start to do that I think 'blimey this is bringing down my mpg and costing a fortune', so I revert to type and take it easy again!!!

No, in reality I'm not all that bothered, bs. It's lovely to drive and we like it very much - and it's as safe as they get in that size of car. It'll probably loosen up a bit and might get a bit better, but my Jazz CVT didn't do loads to the gallon and that was a good bit smaller than this thing....and I even bought a little Hyundai i10 (just so I could use the scrappage scheme, really) and that didn't do anything like what it was supposed to either - so I've obviously got either (a) no idea how to drive or (b)a heavy right foot or © don't do enough long motorway journeys at 56mph.

I have pretty much the same fuel consumption as yours at 33 mpg pretty much from new. Like you I'm not too bothered about it as I love the engine /gearbox combination and the look on peoples faces when you tell them it is a 1.2. I put it down to all the hills on the other side of the Bristol Channel in South Wales, pretty much like the West Country.

I got a 50,3mpg average yesterday when I drove the Monster from mine in East London around the M25 to Allams in Epsom - about 60 miles. I kept the car to 70mpg as indicated on the sat nav. Car was empty bar myself and a quarter tank of fuel.

• 4 weeks later...

We spent last week in East Devon and had the first real opportunity for a good mpg check after six months of mostly local stop/start runs. Over 641 miles of very mixed driving (70ish motorway (two up plus luggage plus Border Collie) and lovely Devon lanes and hills) with intermittent use of aircon gave 39.1mpg (maxidot), 37.76 calculated, total of 2000 miles on the clock.

Living as we do in the flat lands of the SE, experiencing the DSG earning it's keep on the hills of Devon was very, very impressive, I think I'll need a very good reason to go back to a manual again!

S_M

Elsie the Helipad did actual 37.6mpg driving down to Newquay with me & Swmbo on board, plus driving around locally with 2 friends on board and part way back. She averaged 37.6mpg. Average speed was 48mph, though the run down was at the speed limit, so the local running around dropped the overall consumption by about 2.5 mpg.

Coming back filled up and did another 214 miles at an actual 47.1mpg. the A30/A303 is quite a hilly route, but I stuck to 60mph. Due to the hills it dropped from an indicated 52mpg to an indicated 48.4mpg at an average speed of 54mph. The journey back took an extra 30 minutes approx. but have me an extra 10mpg. Very happy with those results. Shame the rest of my journeys are not like that.......

• 1 year later...

Drove to Manchester yesterday and back today. 489 miles 48mph average including being stuck n Manchester traffic for about 2 hours!

52.5 mpg.

Greenline2 territory, and from a diesel DSG. Sat on the motorway at about 60-65 most of the time.

So you can get decent economy from the old girl, if you are willing to take a little longer to get where you are going.

That 489 miles took 10 hrs 12 minutes. Makes a pleasant change to taking about 25 hours to do the same distance around South London :lol:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

(I note that this is resurrecting a two-year-old thread, that I hadn't seen before.)

Annie surprised me yesterday. An unusually (for me) brisk eight mile journey through the local lanes, finishing with a couple in a 30 limit, resulted in 52.7 mpg on Consumption 1 on arrival :whew: . The DSG seemed to be quite happy using the torque out of bends rather than changing down. Very smooth.