Winter tyres on the front of a FWD only

What do I need to know about UK tyre law?

What do I need to know about UK tyre law?UK law requires that your vehicle is fitted with the correct type and size of tyre for the vehicle type you are driving and for the purpose it is being used. This means fitting the right tyres and for safety ensuring that they are inflated to the manufacturer's recommended pressure.

The legal limit for minimum depth of the tread on your tyres is 1.6 millimetres, across the central ¾ of the tread around the complete circumference of the tyre.

For safety reasons it is recommended that you replace your tyres before the legal limit is reached. Many vehicle manufacturers recommend replacing at 3 millimetres. To see the impact on braking distance of different tyre tread depths, click here. At 1.6 millimetres in wet weather it takes an extra car length (8 metres) to stop at 50 mph than if your tread was 3 millimetres.

A regular check of your tyres can help you to avoid 3 penalty points and £2,500 in fines (per tyre) for having tyres worn beyond the legal minimum limit on your vehicle.

It is also a legal requirement to ensure that tyres of different construction types are not fitted to opposite sides of the same axle. The two main tyre types are radial and cross-ply, and these must not be mixed on the same axle.

Mixing brands and patterns of the same construction type is permissible depending on the vehicle type and manufacturers recommendation. Check your vehicle's handbook for tyre fitment details.

thats regulation 26 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regs. however Reg 27 covers the use of tyres "unsuitable having regard to the use to which the vehicle was put" If you were involved in an accident I was having to report I'd be sticking you on for that as clearly if you feel that the use of summer tyres on your front wheel was that dangerous that you needed to replace them with winter tyres then it would be fair that the use of summer tyres on the rear wheels would be unsuitable in those conditions. I'd then let a magistrate decide

I think we're diverting here. The question was "Winter tyres on the front of a FWD only". In my opinion, if you crash as a result of driving too fast for the road conditions then you are to blame regardless of what tyres are fitted to your vehicle. I drive within my capabilities when road conditions are good, and take extra care when the conditions are bad. I never drive my car to the extent that the tyres are 'Being tested to their limits'. If it takes me all day to get somewhere because the roads are bad then so be it. I've been driving for 21 years and not had an accident in the snow/ice yet so I must be doing something right.

Its plain wrong. You need as close to equal grip on all 4 corners of the car or preferably better grip at the back. The hardest thing to do in slippery conditions is stopping or keeping the car going straight, pulling away is the easy bit, if you struggle to get going take it as a warning you have less chance of stopping & with less grip at the rear you are likely to get the car out of line or at worse spin

Many FWD cars crash due to loosing rear grip on bends, usually when the driver lifts off or brakes part way round the corner, thats why you should always have the best grip at the back. Im not saying put them only on the back either, If it warms up they will peform worse than the front "summer" tyres so you are back to less rear grip. Just dont mix them,

This go's part way to explaining why less rear grip can leave you in an irrecoverable situation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5YsQ_a_ijA

Edited by Stuart_J

JHC,

Some people are so far up themselves it is hard to credit.

So would you scantimonious types rather I ran over a child because I was running on 4 No summer tyres with 1.7mm tread, and Hey perefectly legal!

or managed to get stopped because I had fitted winter tyres to the front., and to some extent perhaps because I can control an incipitent skid?

A Simple question really.

PS how will the current crop of ESP systems mitigate against skidding cos of "mismatched" tyres.

PLUS PLUS PLUS

Some of us can drive in all/any/most conditions, some should only be let out in the summer (apparently) this from the evidence of my own eyes this past few days.

Dorks creeping along at 15mph, I came up behind them at 45mph, paused waited, observed and then passed them without a twitch or squirm and proceeded.Having driven without an at fault accident for 33 years in all conditions. Been rammed up the rear on several occassions mind.

I do however test road & traction conditions on a regular basis, mostly with a prod of the throttle in a suitable gear I also slow up well before a bend or junction, if necessary subtly sppeding up again until it is reached.

And the last thirteen been running a people carrier on Van tyres, so I dont driver VRS fast you understand, but hey i get there without holding up other tradffic.

It is called being in possession of a functioning brain folks.

Sorry if that comes over a bit cheeky.

PS

I will NOT be informing my insurer when i fit the 4 No winter tyres I have on order, cos i am insured with the NFU.

Cheers

Marcus

Edited by dieseldogg

2 on front would brake better than the rears which do not have the same grip levels as the winter set up front.. simples. / everyday common sense

Its purly up to you if you do put what tyres.. people just give advice to keep you / others safe / safe lives

Im sure B-Skoda will not be held responsible for any advice given if its not taken in full if an accident happens as a result of the advice given.. if that makes sense

As for the insurance post.. again.. you wouldnt put budget rubber on a 300bhp car.. would you? your asking for trouble.. Tyres are made specifically for the capability of the car in question, Its up to the driver / owner to choose their rubber... I can see as cars get quicker and costs of running goes up.. people will possibly skimp a little and get cheaper rubber ("its just an everyday car i dont drive it fast and i drive it well with in the limits of what the car can do") But the insurance companies do not know how you drive,, its only your words. Stick with the good stuff.. dont go budget . simples

In short lives are worth more than getting around a little bit quicker

2 on front would brake better than the rears which do not have the same grip levels as the winter set up front.. simples. / everyday common sense

Yep simplisticly put & true assuming the car stays in a straight line. If you have less grip at the rear this is made worse when you brake as the weight goes onto the front giving even less rear end grip. If you were driving in a straight line on a perfectly flat road & with eqaul grip on both fronts the rear may follow the front.

I would guess the rear would start to overtake & the only way trying to stop that is to come off the brakes or even accelerate slightly. Assuming you were braking for a reason thats a zero option, better to let the car do what it wants, do the best you can & say a prayer

Erm,

been pondering this, surely ABS should function to help to prevent the rear skidding out of line? by preventing the tyres "locking up"

I appreciate in poor traction conditions perhaps not quite so effectively but nonetheless??

If you personally will sleep better at night because you have winter tyres fitted all round, go ahead and do it,. I'm happy pottering about with just the front done, and I sleep like a log. ;)

If you personally will sleep better at night because you have winter tyres fitted all round, go ahead and do it,. I'm happy pottering about with just the front done, and I sleep like a log. ;)

Even at 30mph an emergency stop in wintery conditions could easily see you swap ends.

Save a few quid but risk your P&J, no claims etc plus endanger the lives of other? Madness.

Erm,

been pondering this, surely ABS should function to help to prevent the rear skidding out of line? by preventing the tyres "locking up"

I appreciate in poor traction conditions perhaps not quite so effectively but nonetheless??

I guess yes it will help but likewise it will be assisting in giving even more grip at the front making things worse. I cant see ABS being a great help. We all know cars can go sideways or worse on ice without even braking, its the grip from tyre to road thats critical.

JHC,

Some people are so far up themselves it is hard to credit.

So would you scantimonious types rather I ran over a child because I was running on 4 No summer tyres with 1.7mm tread, and Hey perefectly legal!

or managed to get stopped because I had fitted winter tyres to the front., and to some extent perhaps because I can control an incipitent skid?

A Simple question really.

PS how will the current crop of ESP systems mitigate against skidding cos of "mismatched" tyres.

PLUS PLUS PLUS

Some of us can drive in all/any/most conditions, some should only be let out in the summer (apparently) this from the evidence of my own eyes this past few days.

Dorks creeping along at 15mph, I came up behind them at 45mph, paused waited, observed and then passed them without a twitch or squirm and proceeded.Having driven without an at fault accident for 33 years in all conditions. Been rammed up the rear on several occassions mind.

I do however test road & traction conditions on a regular basis, mostly with a prod of the throttle in a suitable gear I also slow up well before a bend or junction, if necessary subtly sppeding up again until it is reached.

And the last thirteen been running a people carrier on Van tyres, so I dont driver VRS fast you understand, but hey i get there without holding up other tradffic.

It is called being in possession of a functioning brain folks.

Sorry if that comes over a bit cheeky.

PS

I will NOT be informing my insurer when i fit the 4 No winter tyres I have on order, cos i am insured with the NFU.

Cheers

Marcus

So you post a thread and ask for comments, and when people don't agree for what are valid reasons i.e. safety of the driver and other road users they are sanctimonious? People offering opinions that a pair of winter tyres costs less than an insurance excess, and well meaning advice that you may not be insured by mixing tyres isn't designed to be confrontational but helpful. If you're just looking to start fights and tell everyone how good you are why not try the Singletrackworld forum instead.

So you post a thread and ask for comments, and when people don't agree for what are valid reasons i.e. safety of the driver and other road users they are sanctimonious? People offering opinions that a pair of winter tyres costs less than an insurance excess, and well meaning advice that you may not be insured by mixing tyres isn't designed to be confrontational but helpful. If you're just looking to start fights and tell everyone how good you are why not try the Singletrackworld forum instead.

have you not noticed that nearly all his posts are like this :zzz: :zzz: I've accepted that he is immensely awesome when it comes to anything automotive,

I agree completely. The thread was started with a him making an apparently simple request for comments, which were given in good faith.

Dieseldogg, you really are coming across as someone who has very little self-perception. Try reading the whole thread again, and pretend it wasn't you who started it, or subsequently commented on it. Then you'll possibly see how the rest of us view you.

Brian

No worries folks, I am aware of some of my shortcomings and also aware of how I could be/am percieved.

I too make mistakes and am aware of them (sometimes/mostly)

I do try not to take myself too seriousley and actually am considerate of other road users when driving, this despite my reference to dorks on the road. (But hey, they are out there.)

I am also amused as to how some car & driving related myths arise & are perpetuated.

I would perhaps be a little Troll like in some of my postings, but hey if you knew some of my relations you would realize it was almost certainly genetic.

:giggle:

I suppose I should really try the IAM thinggy, I wonder why I have not ;) yet

cheers

M

PS

I presume you did note that I had ordered 4 winter tyres all for one car. :giggle:

Edited by dieseldogg