Wood-look dash trim

jst_at_home

Love the wood trim with the Gobi interior and light colour door cards and lower dash. Not so sure with the Onyx though, prefer that with the standard metallic trim. Only a personal opinion of course, it is each to their own.

I'm inclined to agree.

The lighter Gobi interior with wood trim give the car a classic 'Gentleman's Club' feel to it. Onyx interior needs the silver or perhaps carbon fibre style trim.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you don't mind DrBig but I've used one of your photos of the trim for our website, if this is not okay please let me know and I'll get it taken off but I'd rather advertise it with a photo of the actual trim piece.

Hope you don't mind DrBig but I've used one of your photos of the trim for our website, if this is not okay please let me know and I'll get it taken off but I'd rather advertise it with a photo of the actual trim piece.

No problem

I've concluded that the 'wood effect' will clash with my Tangerine paintwork/Onyx leather, so won't be going for this; until I change my mind that is.

Providing the original metal trim is carefully removed, could you not mix'n match to suit moods. Wood today, metal tomorrow. :giggle:

My trim arrived today - in only a day or three from ordering from Allams. Having spoken with James I was going to go down to collect it, and let them fit, but what with the weather, the 160 mile round trip, and the fact that it had actually got here, I just went ahead and it is fitted. I had a couple of conversations with James, and I have to say they, and he, are just great to deal with, and to have as contacts.

As DrBig and John have said earlier, fitting it is not a problem, but needs some care. I used a plastic spatula with a reasonably thin sharp edge, about 1 inch wide. The thing is getting the removal started - I found the best places are on the top of the trim, at extreme left and right, where the corner has flattened out. There is a clip located underneath there at each side, and once started it is easy to carefully ease the rest away. The new trim tells you where the clips are located, and where a little bit of easing is therefore necessary. BUT - round the central console, the trim fits UNDER the black radio/Columbus/heater controls surround. This needs to be removed first, or it pulls off with the trim and could get damaged - it has some thin bits. It is easy to gently ease it away using fingers/nails. Note when doing this how the clips at the bottom fit in relationship to the trim - that's how its got to go back, of course, and I found it easier to ease both the trim and the black surround in together when refitting. It's not hard - and a moments look will let you understand what I mean. Otherwise it all pops in very easily and securely.

I must say it goes much better with my Gobi interior than the silver, IMO - this really didn't go with anything in the interior and was a bit of an anomaly I feel. This looks great to my eyes - it looks a bit darker then the above pics at the moment, in the dull conditions. But it is restrained and just blends in nicely - nothing 'shouty' about it at all. I am well pleased.

Edited by roguebrit

And here are a few more Gobi and "wood" pictures.

The wood trim with the light leather looks very nice IMO. If we had that interior I'd be ordering the wood-look peices right now! :thumbup:

The wood trim with the light leather looks very nice IMO. If we had that interior I'd be ordering the wood-look peices right now! :thumbup:

It certainly does. Just fitted to Elsie - the first UK rhd Candy While/Gobi Leather with the wood trim?

523 miles and changed to wood trim

post-36710-12925970880118_thumb.jpg

post-36710-12925971042385_thumb.jpg

White/Gobi/Wood

post-36710-12925971191468_thumb.jpg

Mike

Edited by rockhopper

It certainly does. Just fitted to Elsie - the first UK rhd Candy While/Gobi Leather with the wood trim?

523 miles and changed to wood trim

It does look good with the Gobi interior. :thumbup:

Interesting to see you have 'oil temp' on the maxidot display.

My trim arrived today - in only a day or three from ordering from Allams. Having spoken with James I was going to go down to collect it, and let them fit, but what with the weather, the 160 mile round trip, and the fact that it had actually got here, I just went ahead and it is fitted. I had a couple of conversations with James, and I have to say they, and he, are just great to deal with, and to have as contacts.

As DrBig and John have said earlier, fitting it is not a problem, but needs some care. I used a plastic spatula with a reasonably thin sharp edge, about 1 inch wide. The thing is getting the removal started - I found the best places are on the top of the trim, at extreme left and right, where the corner has flattened out. There is a clip located underneath there at each side, and once started it is easy to carefully ease the rest away. The new trim tells you where the clips are located, and where a little bit of easing is therefore necessary. BUT - round the central console, the trim fits UNDER the black radio/Columbus/heater controls surround. This needs to be removed first, or it pulls off with the trim and could get damaged - it has some thin bits. It is easy to gently ease it away using fingers/nails. Note when doing this how the clips at the bottom fit in relationship to the trim - that's how its got to go back, of course, and I found it easier to ease both the trim and the black surround in together when refitting. It's not hard - and a moments look will let you understand what I mean. Otherwise it all pops in very easily and securely.

I must say it goes much better with my Gobi interior than the silver, IMO - this really didn't go with anything in the interior and was a bit of an anomaly I feel. This looks great to my eyes - it looks a bit darker then the above pics at the moment, in the dull conditions. But it is restrained and just blends in nicely - nothing 'shouty' about it at all. I am well pleased.

Agreed. I have posted some photos above.

Mike

Agreed. I have posted some photos above.

Mike

Perfect partner with the Gobi :thumbup:

Needless to say the SUK website configurator misleads once again - select Gobi interior and the picture shows the wood trim fitted as if standard :swear:

Perfect partner with the Gobi :thumbup:

Needless to say the SUK website configurator misleads once again - select Gobi interior and the picture shows the wood trim fitted as if standard :swear:

So my modification - adding the wood trim, should have been standard?emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Mike

So my modification - adding the wood trim, should have been standard?emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Mike

Absobliminglutly - Onyx should be Alu standard with wood optional, Gobi should be wood standard with Alu optional IMO

You know it makes sense :D

PS Watch out for the splinters & woodworm.

Edited by Bassa

• 1 month later...
The new trim tells you where the clips are located, and where a little bit of easing is therefore necessary. [/color][/size]BUT - round the central console, the trim fits UNDER the black radio/Columbus/heater controls surround. This needs to be removed first, or it pulls off with the trim and could get damaged - it has some thin bits. It is easy to gently ease it away using fingers/nails. Note when doing this how the clips at the bottom fit in relationship to the trim - that's how its got to go back, of course, and I found it easier to ease both the trim and the black surround in together when refitting. It's not hard - and a moments look will let you understand what I mean. Otherwise it all pops in very easily and securely.

Great description of the process - thanks. So, I'm about to muster up the courage to order the wood trim, but I'm scared stiff of fitting it. Is the existing trim held on with clips and/or glue? And what holds the black radio surround in place? Thanks.

Great description of the process - thanks. So, I'm about to muster up the courage to order the wood trim, but I'm scared stiff of fitting it. Is the existing trim held on with clips and/or glue? And what holds the black radio surround in place? Thanks.

Hi - its all just clips, on trim and surround. Use the new trim to know where the clips are located. They are quite firm to ease out, but with care I found it all came away quite easily. As I said earlier, it is getting a start which is hardest, you need a blunt but slim and stiffish tool to ease under without doing any damage - I used one I made from the handle of an old shoe horn, actually. It all sounds intimidating, but isn't really - you just go very slowly and carefully, and don't lose patience and start forcing things - some of the plastic parts are quite slim and could, conceivably, get cracked that way. The radio/heating control etc surround came away very easily for me. Hope this helps!

Edited by roguebrit

Okay, many thanks. Think I'll go ahead and order the trim. I guess I'm most worried about the black radio surround, as there's no way of identifying where the clips are located.