Bumper Strip - fallen off

SimonVespa

Hi

During the recent snow I noticed that when iced up the boot would not clear the decorative rear bumper strip unless all the snow/ice was removed. Then the other night one end of the strip came completely unstuck. I have since removed the strip and put it the garage!!!

Anyone else having this problem? I'm not convinced that the strip was bonded as per the instructions so I will be taking this up with the suppling/fitting dealer - when the weather clears.

Thanks

Simon

As of yesterday I have the same problem! It has not completely fallen, just unstuck from one side, but I'm not happy with it. It will eventually fall off for sure. I had a look underneath it - it has been glued only by using double-sided strips, so it's no wonder that it's falling off.

However, I'm not fully convinced that I'm happy with it even if there was no falling issue - it's making the cleaning of the bumper from ice harder, and helping the sucking of fresh snow inside the trunk when opening, I think. And the material is just cheap plastic.

Maybe I'll keep it in the garage until spring, than I'll take it to Skoda to fix it under warranty.

There have been a couple of reports on here previously of these strips falling off and/or coming unstuck. It seems like the sticky bit is not sticky enough or the bumper is too smooth or waxy (or similar), or both, for the strip to stick properly.

All probably not helped by the cold weather at present.

I had the same problem but a few months back when washing the car the strip lifted on one end

Also if you have the silver strips on the front they are likely to fall off as they are stuck in a similar fashion

When mine started to lift a few months ago I took it off and looked at why I think the issue lies in the double sided tape thats used its very thin strips and seems to be just about as thick as the inner gap of the strip.

I took the tape off and renewed it with a bodyline tape approx 12mm wide and a little thicker than the original stuff cleaned the bumper then stuck it down hard and it seems to be staying so far the original footprint of the tape was about 3-4 mm which is pretty thin stuff .

Hope this helps

Peter

Bodyline tape is available from most car factors camberley,partco,allparts and even eurocar parts ifI remember i bought it from all parts and the roll was about £3 plus vat

Peter

Edited by Pete-n

I really love my Yeti, however I must admit that the Tiguan design is quite better, concerning the boot lid:

Apart from the fact that in a light accident from behind your Yeti hatch door will be in one piece and your Tiguan's will be as crumpled as the bumper! It is a woefully inferior design on the Tiguan in my view from a repairability point of view. The CRV's looks even worse to repair after a minor fender bender.

I guess you're right, I'm not looking on it from that perspective. I just hate the ice that builds on the bumper, and prevents the boot from opening. And if the scraper is in the trunk, you have to get it by folding the backseats... Personal experience :)

Apart from the fact that in a light accident from behind your Yeti hatch door will be in one piece and your Tiguan's will be as crumpled as the bumper! It is a woefully inferior design on the Tiguan in my view from a repairability point of view. The CRV's looks even worse to repair after a minor fender bender.

Good point; I'll stick to a preference for the Yeti design (Roomster rear bumper/tailgate is similar).

Interestingly; there is a rear bumper protector strip available for Roomster that covers the full area of the flat part of the rear bumper and that uses two screw to keep it secure.

I guess you're right, I'm not looking on it from that perspective. I just hate the ice that builds on the bumper, and prevents the boot from opening. And if the scraper is in the trunk, you have to get it by folding the backseats... Personal experience emoticon-0100-smile.gif

emoticon-0136-giggle.gifemoticon-0136-giggle.gif Or keep the scraper in the glove box? Or in one of the rear door bins?

Just think of Tata Nano owners. It might look like a five door but there is in fact NO bootlid at all. you can only access the boot by folding the seats forward! emoticon-0145-shake.gif

• 2 years later...

I've got the plastic cover with the red triangle & it's ok, but I stow it under the carpet, so can be a little awkward to restow it after use especially if the boot's loaded. It really didn't like it when I slammed the hatch down on it by accident too! So I can also confirm it's a little brittle!!! It's a bit split now, but it still just about works, & it's cheap enough.

SuperSkoda sell various rear bumper protectors that also curve over the bumper edge slightly, unlike the official Skoda item. That seems like a better idea as it's the edge that takes most of the battering - so long as they don't fall off!