Door mirrors and salt

rockhopper

Am I the only one to suffer badly with salt spray covering the door mirrors? On the journey up to Scotland I had to clean my mirrors every time I stopped as I couldn't see through them. The low sun directly shining in them didn't help either.

Is there anything that can be done to stop this from happening? The aerodynamics of Skoda mirrors have in my opinion never been very good. My BMW ones cleared in the rain and never had a problem with salt/grime covering them.

Any thoughts?

Mike

You're not the only one. I had the same problem couple of days ago, not only with the mirrors, but also with the side window, obscuring the view path to the mirror. Gets really bad if you have to spray the windscreen a lot in order to clean it.

As an additional query, I'm always in my van, and used to see both van and HGV drivers with rags attached to mirror arms to clean the side mirrors on the hoof; the end of the rag would flap round and clean the glass. I've not seen this for a few years now, and am wondering if it'sbeen made illegal? It was handy on a car too, although more difficult to attach.

I've gone on about this one before. Why oh why can't VAG fit PROPER channels to the A-pillars like Mercedes have been donig since the 70s?! You never ever get screenwash running from the windscreen over the A-pillar on the side glass on a Merc as you do on VAG cars. My Audi did this and I hated it. And now yes my Yeti does the same leaving a lovely dirty soaping side window EXACTLY where you need to look through it at the mirror. Grrr. emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif Most annoying.

I've gone on about this one before. Why oh why can't VAG fit PROPER channels to the A-pillars like Mercedes have been donig since the 70s?! You never ever get screenwash running from the windscreen over the A-pillar on the side glass on a Merc as you do on VAG cars. My Audi did this and I hated it. And now yes my Yeti does the same leaving a lovely dirty soaping side window EXACTLY where you need to look through it at the mirror. Grrr. emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif Most annoying.

It's a RH drive phenimenon - does not happen on LH drive Yetis

Aquapel on the side windows and mirror glass makes a discernible difference as it's more difficult for water to stay on the surface. Other similar products are available, like Rain-X but this is the best I've found/used - durability is excellent too.

Just an idea.

http://www.aquapel.com/

Steve

+1 for the Aquapel, I had it on the mirrors and front side windows of my Octavia and they stayed much cleaner, haven't got round to applying it to the Superb yet and the windows and mirrors are covered in crap.

The new taller mirrors seem to be more prone to salt spray.

• 3 weeks later...

... Why oh why can't VAG fit PROPER channels to the A-pillars like Mercedes have been donig since the 70s?! You never ever get screenwash running from the windscreen over the A-pillar on the side glass on a Merc as you do on VAG cars. ... And now yes my Yeti does the same leaving a lovely dirty soaping side window EXACTLY where you need to look through it at the mirror. Grrr. emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif Most annoying.

I was surprised how deep the windscreen is recessed at the vertical edges next to the black plastic pillar covers, and wondered what effect adding a U-shaped channel to the black plastic to catch the water would have.

It might divert the water away from going onto the side windows and drain it away.

It might also create the most horrendous wind noise.

Without trying it there's no way of knowing, and the channels would have to be firmly attached, so double sided tape might not be enough.

(Having had the windscreen wiper of my son's old Rover wrap around the pillar and rip off on the motorway (in the rain) I was amazed at the force unleashed.)

Rather reluctant to start modifying a brand new car though.

(What would the insurance company make of it?)

As an additional query, I'm always in my van, and used to see both van and HGV drivers with rags attached to mirror arms to clean the side mirrors on the hoof; the end of the rag would flap round and clean the glass. I've not seen this for a few years now, and am wondering if it'sbeen made illegal? It was handy on a car too, although more difficult to attach.

Being a HGV driver most modern lorries have heated mirrors, also as they are higher visibility is less of a problem.I do agree with Wardy that applying Rain X or similar to mirrors and side windows is a great help on all vehicles during the winter months.