Yeti Owners Google Map. ***Please read***

davehutch

well the map is well and truly screwed now!!!

can't move my pin at all and the yeti specific icons have gone.

what's going on?

edit: ah i see.

just read Dave's update on post#1

is there a briskoda map?

The missing icons is a Firefox issue, others have reported it on the Google forum and the map looks fine in IE, albeit with no useful information on of course :swear:

Had a look at Bing but I'd need to sign up (as would everyone else) so I don't think this going to work any more.

Edited by davehutch

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it was Marty who had moved my pin to India too!

What a shame - it was a great idea to have a map showing member's locations, but it seems that the actions of just one person have wrecked it. :thumbdown:

**********Well, what a shame. Some idiot went to the map on Nov 4th and moved everybody's pins around. Most of them are now in Greenland!

Given the fact that it's very unlikely i would ever get people to put their pins back in the correct places, the map has become somewhat pointless..

Unless anyone has an idea about how to put it right, im going to delete the map in a few days. If anyone actually knows who "Marty" is...thank him for me will you***********

Is there any way of resetting the map to a previous date? May be something that needs to be referred to Google - not that they'd be terribly interested I fear. :'(

Edited by speedsport

Goodness me... my Yeti has been out again today, this time to North Yorkshire. I think ill have to chain him to my carport!

This time, it just said "Updated Nov 17" on the call out box. My pin was in the correct place this morning, but had moved when i looked again this evening. Who the **** is messing with the map? I wish they'd stop! :wonder:

• 3 weeks later...

It would appear from post #8 in this thread

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/221086-should-the-chatroom-be-shut-down/

that the culprit in moving our icons around might have been found, and it is one who has, in the past, been a little "anti" us.

I've just looked and they are still a mess!

It would appear from post #8 in this thread

http://briskoda.net/...m-be-shut-down/

that the culprit in moving our icons around might have been found, and it is one who has, in the past, been a little "anti" us.

I've just looked and they are still a mess!

My My... what have we done to deserve such treatment? What a child this idiot is! I trust this person and his IP address gets a ban for life on this site.

Do you know who it is? I'd like to engage him in conversation!

See the link in my posting at #158 on the previous page.

And personally I wouldn't bother trying to contact him as it will only inflame the situation further.

See the link in my posting at #158 on the previous page.

And personally I wouldn't bother trying to contact him as it will only inflame the situation further.

If you recheck the chatroom thread you will find he has been suspended.

I have asked mods to look into it and agree it is probably futile to engage with him.

Like I've said in other posts, the 'Ignore User' option can sometimes be worth its weight in gold! :thumbup:

A pos(t)er can put whatever they want on the Forum but if no one responds because they haven't read it, then the pos(t)er may eventually get the message (or not)........... :giggle:

• 1 year later...

Well, before we all jump to mis-informed conclusions about who may or may not be deliberately moving pins around the map, I think I may have stumbled on how it happens totally by accident.....

While attempting to place my own marker, using IE10, and as an existing Google account user:

- I went to map and clicked [Edit] as instructed

- then (left) clicked the marker icon as instructed

- a blue marker promptly appeared at the very top edge of the map display area. On an oil rig in the middle of the North Sea on the zoom/magnification I was using at the time.

- the moment I tried to drag the marker to my desired location however, the underlying map started to scroll upwards, seemingly taking a number of other Yeti location pins with it! 

- Its then a devil of a job to stop the scrolling. To catch up with my newly created marker, I had to rapidly zoom out as far as possible, till my (moving) marker appeared. Then try to grab it and pull it to a halt as the map scrolled with it. 

- All attempts to re-locate my own marker while I had it grabbed where unsuccessful.

- So I abandoned that idea and hit [undo] as many times as possible. 

- This appears to have restored Icons to their original locations?

- Attempts to place a fresh marker led to much the same results. One attempt resulted in another un-commanded map scroll southward, only intercepting "my" marker, somewhere in the middle of Mali, not far from Timbuktu appropriately enough.  

- Each attempt was followed by an "Undo", but as the map scrolls, it appears to move under the existing markers, thus sliding them en-masse into new positions.

- They do appear to be re-homed when you hit [undo]. Although that takes a while, as if its doing a lot of work????

- Some markers however appear to stay put, during the process. Could those be differently tethered?

- After an hour of trying to restore and re-attempt placing a marker, I'm now giving up.

- Clearly I'm doing something wrong, but don't consider myself a total IT ignoramus, making my living as an SQL database analyst and spreadsheet creator.

Could this un-commanded (at least not knowingly commanded) map behaviour explain though why so many Yetis appear to be parked in unusual locations? Including a large group that appear to be either stacked on a North Sea oil rig, near where my own marker first fell (co-incidence?), or together on a trip to Norway (appropriately?) via a Newcastle to Stavanger ferry.

SINCERE APOLOGIES if I've accidentally screwed up anyone's location and been unable to [undo] everything.  Having tried and severely burned my fingers on this tool (which was great idea BTW), I'm now very reluctant to re-visit.

There you go.....  An hour older but not a lot wiser?

Edited by FlintstoneR1

• 2 years later...