Not a good day...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, unfortunately my local independent doesn't have a slot until the 25th! He's trying to find time though, or hopefully there might be a cancellation. As it's currently not running, I'm a little limited in where I can take it, and obviously need to go somewhere I have experience and confidence in - but that's in safe towable distance...

So it's a very large paperweight until then really!

Steve,

Sounds very much like the seals have blown in the turbo with all the white smoke, evidently pushing oil into the system somewhere to be getting the white smoke out of the back, if it wont start could it be that the Glow plugs are coated with oil? is it actually turning over?

I know that this does not help but have a look here on one of the audi forums, they are discussing weakness of the BKD PD140 Turbo's

BKD Turbo

Edited by The Skud

Thanks Dave. Thinking through the symptoms on this one, my fear is the oil seals. With all the white smoke I can't realistically see it being anything else :no:

Just frustrating with the delay for getting it looked at, but there we go.

Not turning over - electrical systems are OK. Thoughts are excess oil at the top of the piston. That might well have drained back through past the piston rings by now, but don't want to try again until it's looked at properly, for risk of further issue/damage.

Thanks for the link, will take a look. Will go for an uprated and strengthened unit, if one is required,

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks Dave. Thinking through the symptoms on this one, my fear is the oil seals. With all the white smoke I can't realistically see it being anything else :no:

Just frustrating with the delay for getting it looked at, but there we go.

Not turning over - electrical systems are OK. Thoughts are excess oil at the top of the piston. That might well have drained back through past the piston rings by now, but don't want to try again until it's looked at properly, for risk of further issue/damage.

Thanks for the link, will take a look. Will go for an uprated and strengthened unit, if one is required,

Cheers,

Steve

Yikes!. It's starting to sound awfully grown up and expensive now :(

I'm trying not to think about it! :doh:

Will mean I run this one for a good while longer, but at least in the confidence that it's running a factory fresh blower :yes:

It did cross my mind Pete, but it's the recovery/towing issue to get it to him that stopped me investigating it any further. Is he in his own place now?

Will try and give you a bell later.

Cheers.

Steve,

As I was saying , our Leon did this exact same thing the Day before yours, we were fortunate in that I had a spare turbo from my Octy, so we now have the car back, but symptoms were the same and was an easy enough fix, the good thing about seals going is that it seems less likely to send bits flying down your pipes (bar the oil, lol) just be careful you dont get any Engine run on if you need to move the car!

If I was you, I would price a Hybrid turbo while you are at it, doesnt cost much more, and the potential for more power is there :-D

I got mine from CR Turbos, ask for Mark, he was very reasonable!

Darren

+1 For CR they have a good reputation, I spoke to Vince there about hybridising a K04 for my last car, straight talking no nonsense advice and realistic figures, seem to have a good reputation on SCN with the Beeza boys for hybrid k04's, Badger 5 ( Bill Brocklebank) deals with them a lot and has had some very good results. Their core business is recon units so they have all the credentials!

Been speaking to AET about possible options. Also to Turbo Technics and Turbo Dynamics. Dealt with TD last time with the Fabia hybrid. But will give CR a shout too, thanks :thumbup:

The AET hybrid option looks most likely at the moment, but I'll see what CR come back with. Would plan to run that at just above Stage 1 really, to gain maximum reliability from it.

Steve

Hi Steve

just read your post and was shocked. Doesnt sound good to me....

Hope you get it all sorted (and better than before emoticon-0105-wink.gif ) soon.

Cheers from Germany

Mike

Thanks Mike, appreciate that. Might as well make it better along the way hey? :)

Oh, and in other news, loom ordered from the UK distributor in the end :thumbup:

Cheers,

Steve

Doesn't sound good Steve, I hope it isn't too bad/costly to fix. thankfully my turbo started to fail the weekend I bought my car and I managed to get the garage to supply and fit a reconned turbo from their local vw dealership.

ps... damn you saying how good your map was, I now have an STS unit and waiting for my new map :giggle::thumbup: just need to get my decat pipe fitted too

• 2 weeks later...

Well there's no engine damage, which is good! It's brought a fair amount of oil through though. Engine's now firing and idling normally. Just loads of white smoke from the exhaust system still. So that will need to come off and be flushed/cleaned through. Then it's a case of seeing if the cat has survived a good dousing. If not, I'll de-cat!

So main priority is clearing the excess oil now. Then a case of building it back up again: new gaskets, oil feeds etc and a fresh turbo :thumbup:

Prepare to see this one around for a while folks - I'll need to keep it to make all this worthwhile, as well as taking full advantage of it running fresh kit :rofl:

Thanks for listening ;)

Cheers,

Steve

Sorry to read all this Steve, I know how you feel. Its awful seeing white smoke pouring out of your car, and frustrating/inconvenient being without it for so long.

Still, at least there is no further damage. Plus, you've gone down the new turbo route before so at least you know your onions.

I really hope it gets sorted very soon and doesn't give your wallet too much of a battering.

All the best, Iain.