Waiting and waiting and then, waiting

tubalcain

Having started this thread some time ago and looking at the responses, the only conclusion I can draw is that there seems to be no discernible pattern in the relationship between order date and delivery. Surely, at the point of ordering, barring disasters, Skoda know what their commitments are and should be able to predict within a week or two when your car will be built. VAG is one of the major manufacturers worldwide and should know the volume of vehicles on order at any given moment and for each of their marques and models together with options. I am inclined to the view, expressed earlier, that VAG are juggling orders against economic factors beyond customers' control and that priority is being given to markets that bring in the biggest profits. That was certainly Honest John's view a while back and seems to me the only viable explanation. As a frequent visitor to France, I know that VAG products there are more expensive since my local VW dealer there has several times offered to supply me with a replacement for my Touran and on each occasion I have found the quoted price, even with discount, to be substantially higher than that in the UK. The UK is, therefore paying for lower prices with extended delivery times. I wonder how delivery times in mainland Europe compare with those we are seeing. Can anyone comment?

This seems to me a very reasoned, and reasonable, argument. I have an apartment in Aix-en-Provence, and the local Skoda dealer (whom I visited last September, having ordered my Yeti in the UK a month earlier, in an effort to actually see a SM in the flesh) had nothing to show me, didn't know when he would have any Yetis in stock, wasn't terribly interested, etc., etc. I have only ever seen one second-hand Yeti advertised in the local (French) paper, and that appeared for only one day so I assume it was snapped up, although if I remember rightly it was a 1.2 2wd with about 20,000 kilometres on the clock (no idea what trim), 18 months old and advertised at 18,000 euros! I have never seen a Yeti on the road in France despite having driven from Calais to Provence and back several times, as well as all through the south west on a trip from Spain, since its launch.

Edited by hmibennett

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how delivery times in mainland Europe compare with those we are seeing. Can anyone comment?

I don't know anybody in my country that waited any Å koda vehicle longer then 3 months but I didn't know what to expect for Yeti since it is also very popular here (but mostly it's version with 1.2 TSI engine).

I ordered my Yeti Experience TDI 170KS, which amongst many additional options also have sun roof, at the beginning of December and I will be getting it next week Thursday. It is with the dealer since Monday but we here have ridiculous custom and registration procedures.

So only two months between order date and until it was delivered to the dealer. On top of that between those two dates you have Christmas holidays :) . I explicitly asked my dealer if somebody, who ordered same Yeti long before me, has given up on it and if they just used that order for me. He assured me that it was just regular order procedure.

Even if I was lucky this is 3 times less then you guys wait in the UK (and you can't even order sun roof). Only explanation I see, as I already said, is that Å koda have different contingents of parts and engines for different countries or markets of different sizes.

This seems to me a very reasoned, and reasonable, argument. I have an apartment in Aix-en-Provence, and the local Skoda dealer (whom I visited last September, having ordered my Yeti in the UK a month earlier, in an effort to actually see a SM in the flesh) had nothing to show me, didn't know when he would have any Yetis in stock, wasn't terribly interested, etc., etc. I have only ever seen one second-hand Yeti advertised in the local (French) paper, and that appeared for only one day so I assume it was snapped up, although if I remember rightly it was a 1.2 2wd with about 20,000 kilometres on the clock (no idea what trim), 18 months old and advertised at 18,000 euros! I have never seen a Yeti on the road in France despite having driven from Calais to Provence and back several times, as well as all through the south west on a trip from Spain, since its launch.

I have only seen one here on the road in France since they came out. They are much more expensive here and my local dealer seems to have several lying about on the forecourt. At the price they are in UK plus available discount , they almost must be sold as a loss leader! Hardly surprising then that they are going to supply their more profitable markets first in left hand drive form.

Another factor that might or might not have any bearing on the engine availability, I understand that there are a new range of engines that are going into the new 2011 Passat, they are more fuel efficient and produce considerably less CO2 emmisions.

On another forum, it's reporting the delay down to VW deciding to upgrade all the 2 ltr diesel engines to Bluemotion ones, so they had to stop the build line and start afresh with all the models. I think the Passat and Golf were first in line, Scirocco diesel orders currently have a 7 month lead time, somewhat similar to Yeti diesel orders right now - hopefully it'll improve.

Another factor that might or might not have any bearing on the engine availability, I understand that there are a new range of engines that are going into the new 2011 Passat, they are more fuel efficient and produce considerably less CO2 emmisions.

On another forum, it's reporting the delay down to VW deciding to upgrade all the 2 ltr diesel engines to Bluemotion ones, so they had to stop the build line and start afresh with all the models. I think the Passat and Golf were first in line, Scirocco diesel orders currently have a 7 month lead time, somewhat similar to Yeti diesel orders right now - hopefully it'll improve.

Grrr. Sorry hear that!

As to a loan car: no chance I'm afraid. Audi has in their small print in the back of all their brochures (even for the A1!) that you will be kept informed of your order progress and should there be any delay you will be given a loan car for the difference in time. Škoda alas has no such small print - to keep costs down I suspect, as the money to pay for of all those loan cars has to come from somewhere...

Might not be quite true...

I have the same issue with my 170 CR DSG Superb. I have been offered the 1.8 TSI instead, with a £1,000 incentive... OR the dealer will provide a loan car. I'm awaiting further information from the dealer and will post as soon as I find out more.

My wife ordered her Yeti 170TDI Elegance the first week of September for a February 10th delivery as a company lease car. She has been told approximately 25th February as a possible delivery date. We had to drop the sunroof due to the fiasco last year with supply problems. Now they can't even get engines!

Her current Octavia Vrs was leased from Skoda and they wouldn't extend the lease so potentially no car!

SUK have supplied an Octavia TDI 140 Elegance DSG to keep until the Yeti turns up. Not a great situation but at least a car was provided. SUK said they were currently having to supply over 200 loan cars to comapny lease people who's cars have simply not been delivered. It must be costing them a fortune giving out cars for free.

Skoda in the UK are going to have to be very careful where they take the brand as supply issues are costing them huge sales volumes (and also in Europe). Just look at the sales of Qashqais compared to the superior Yeti. Over 20x as many cars sold due to quick delivery.

Hi. I had a 5 month wait for my Yeti. After about 2 months I asked Skoda how they felt about taking my trade in early. This was because it was depreciating at about £300 per month. They got staright back and agreed to do so and also provide a loan car in the meantime. I ran their Fabia for 3 month free of charge. Great customer service from Skoda and dealer for organising this. Result is that I was so impressed with the Fabia that I have ordered the Greenline version. Have to wait 4 months or so for it I suppose but their loan car suggestion brought them another sale. Well done Skoda for your great customer service again.

Hi. I had a 5 month wait for my Yeti. After about 2 months I asked Skoda how they felt about taking my trade in early. This was because it was depreciating at about £300 per month. They got staright back and agreed to do so and also provide a loan car in the meantime. I ran their Fabia for 3 month free of charge. Great customer service from Skoda and dealer for organising this. Result is that I was so impressed with the Fabia that I have ordered the Greenline version. Have to wait 4 months or so for it I suppose but their loan car suggestion brought them another sale. Well done Skoda for your great customer service again.

Well I be never! I waited seven months and was told there was not a snowballs chance in hell of getting a courtesy loan car... Seems sometimes SUK does learn fast. I do also however suspect that if you do say yes to a courtesy car you automatically say no to getting any financial compensation. For my delay I got £300.

Well I be never! I waited seven months and was told there was not a snowballs chance in hell of getting a courtesy loan car... Seems sometimes SUK does learn fast. I do also however suspect that if you do say yes to a courtesy car you automatically say no to getting any financial compensation. For my delay I got £300.

Hi. i think trading car in early and 3 months free driving was worth a bit more than £300. However, it really costs Skoda nothing in the big scheme of things. Also in this case they picked up another sale.

Edited by Crawfsyeti

Can I just double check on the compensation you received? I have so far only been promised £150 for going beyond 18 weeks between order (18 August 2010) and delivery, but last Wednesday was the 26th week and with no word from the dealer that the Yeti is here - although it was confirmed as 'in transit' some 10 days ago and is pencilled in for 1 March handover - I suspect I should be due to go up to £300, since the gap between order and delivery will then be 28 weeks. Am I right? If so, I feel another email to SUK customer services coming on!

Can I just double check on the compensation you received? I have so far only been promised £150 for going beyond 18 weeks between order (18 August 2010) and delivery, but last Wednesday was the 26th week and with no word from the dealer that the Yeti is here - although it was confirmed as 'in transit' some 10 days ago and is pencilled in for 1 March handover - I suspect I should be due to go up to £300, since the gap between order and delivery will then be 28 weeks. Am I right? If so, I feel another email to SUK customer services coming on!

I rang Skoda and there is no flexibility on the 10 day rule for the car to be registered after arriving at the dealer. So keep your fingers crossed that your car does not arrive at the dealer before 19th Feb or it'll have to be registered just before the 11 plates come in! I'm in exactly the same situation as you, I think our Yeti's are in Sheerness and sods law I bet they'll be at the dealer in the next couple of days so we'll have to 'make do' with 60 plate cars! It does look like you're in line for a £300 compensation claim (mine is going to be £150).

I rang Skoda and there is no flexibility on the 10 day rule for the car to be registered after arriving at the dealer. So keep your fingers crossed that your car does not arrive at the dealer before 19th Feb or it'll have to be registered just before the 11 plates come in! I'm in exactly the same situation as you, I think our Yeti's are in Sheerness and sods law I bet they'll be at the dealer in the next couple of days so we'll have to 'make do' with 60 plate cars! It does look like you're in line for a £300 compensation claim (mine is going to be £150).

My dealer said the same on the 10 day rule,its due to the vat that has to be paid.

Best you all go on a last minute holiday deal, preferably out of reach of modern communication devises until the end of the month ;):rofl:

TP

My dealer said the same on the 10 day rule,its due to the vat that has to be paid.

Indeed, although I hoped for some flexibility given the time of the year and its proximity to the new reg plate - it isn't a VAT requirement per se, it is that SUK wanted to stop dealers buying up loads of pre increase VAT cars and selling them on at the increased rate and effectively pocketing the difference I imagine. In any event, a royal pain in the bottom for those us receiving our cars now but wanting to wait a handful more days to get an 11 plate, we've waited 6 months already!

Best you all go on a last minute holiday deal, preferably out of reach of modern communication devises until the end of the month ;):rofl:

TP

Ahh, if only that would work I'd be on the first plane out of Gatwick to the north pole! I live not a million miles from Sheerness so I considered a one man blockade to stop the car being delivered to the dealer, sadly SWMBO decided against it :giggle: If it does arrive a little early the only possibility may be that the dealer "might" want to pay the VAT difference if it means they get a bumper sales figure in March and thus guarantee their Skoda bonus - I can dream :rofl:

Mine's apparently coming in - like all those destined for the north-east - at Tyne Dock, not Sheerness. I don't know when, exactly: will phone dealer tomorrow. He did say that he was prepared to bend the 10 day rule given the length of time I've been waiting but we'll see if that's true. In a way I'm not too bothered as I'm transferring a cherished number and I'm not convinced that the trade-in will be that different in three yearrs' time.

I have an Octavia Scout on order since 27 November 2010, still no build date and dealer and Skoda UK are telling me delivery could possibly be as late as June/July 2011. My wife is looking to buy a VW Tiguan and has been told they are also 6 month wait due to orders stopping on old model, orders for new Tiguan early summer for delivery in August!!!!!!!!! Seems like engine supply is the problem (2.0 TDI CR and DSG box, this is what the VW salesman told us, UK is suffering whilst engines are diverted to mainland europe and China because they are bigger markets for VAG. I can accept the wait but Skoda UK not giving clear factual reasons for the UK delays is annoying me, all you get is rumour on the net. Skoda uk also seem unwilling or incapable of getting updated information from the factory!! I have an order number from the factory so you would imagine with modern production control processes that they would be able to forecast a build date however long that may be.

Having been given build week 1 on 13th December by my dealer, I was ready to sell my beloved Touran this week and receive the good news that my new Yeti was on its way across the briny. But, to my chagrin, no news from the dealer so I contacted SUK this morning to be told that my Yeti 2.0 Tdi 4x4 elegance DSG is now provisionally in build week 18! The reason given by SUK is that diesel engines are now a production 'issue', and would I like to re-specify a petrol model?. I have driven my Touran with its DSG box and 2.0 Tdi engine for 6 years now and am not willing to compromise. I thought that, with a new production line starting up this month delivery times would have been shortened. An additional 18 weeks wait is no joke (do I hear chuckles in the background?) and smacks of chaotic management (a contradiction in terms). VAG is supposed to be one of the foremost car makers in the world yet they cannot organise production of the most popular engine across the whole product range. So much for German efficiency (and yes, I know it's made in the Czech Republic). So, my Touran remains as my main (and excellent) car, the add is withdrawn and I am wondering whether I really want to persevere with the order from a company that, apparently couldn't organise a panic.

OK, rant over - does anyone out there have any information that might explain this farrago? If so it might just calm the savage breast sufficiently to cause me to extend my already stretched patience until May. And, yes, I do remember why I ordered the thing in the first place but, honestly............

Honest John in today's (15th Jan) Telegraph points out that it is more profitable for manufacturers to sell into Europe and other markets than to the UK, hence the UK is being starved of new vehicles in order to satisfy burgeoning demand elsewhere. I am sure that many of us remember the era when UK buyers looked to Holland and Belgium to source new vehicles with significant savings to be made even when the cost of importing was included. Now that market is no longer viable, we are being penalised for our success in bringing down the price of new vehicles. This is already, however, having a positive effect on residuals so it's a case of swings and roundabouts.

I was qouted this ages ago:

"compensation for 16 wks + is £150 and for 25 wks + £300 / or M&S vouchers "

THEN the pawpaw hit the fit with delays at SUK and they changed their compensation to the blanket £150 beyond 18 weeks. I refused the £150 on the grounds they qouted me £300 under the old rules (which were in place when I ordered my car) and they relented.

I was qouted this ages ago:

"compensation for 16 wks + is £150 and for 25 wks + £300 / or M&S vouchers "

THEN the pawpaw hit the fit with delays at SUK and they changed their compensation to the blanket £150 beyond 18 weeks. I refused the £150 on the grounds they qouted me £300 under the old rules (which were in place when I ordered my car) and they relented.

Thanks for this. I'll give my friend Mr Fisher a few days to respond and then be prepared to start arguing!

Good news - contacted the dealer this afternoon and my SM is sitting in Darlington! The dealer confirmed that he is happy to hold back registration/delivery to 1 March: a goodwill gesture for my patience in waiting 7 months (if only he knew how impatient I have actually been!) and he says that, even though I am transferring a cherished registration, it will add a few hundred to the trade-in value when I come to change it, being able to put an 11 rather than a 60 plate on it in place of my cherished number. My current road tax runs out on 28 Feb, so the kind dealer has also suggested I hand over the Octy Scout to him on 25 Feb, with the paperwork that will allow hime to tax the Yeti and make up the correct number plates, and he will lend me something to tide me over the 3 days or so before I pick up the SM. After so long, this all sounds too good to be true. I wonder if it's the right colour and spec?!

Good news - contacted the dealer this afternoon and my SM is sitting in Darlington! The dealer confirmed that he is happy to hold back registration/delivery to 1 March: a goodwill gesture for my patience in waiting 7 months (if only he knew how impatient I have actually been!) and he says that, even though I am transferring a cherished registration, it will add a few hundred to the trade-in value when I come to change it, being able to put an 11 rather than a 60 plate on it in place of my cherished number. My current road tax runs out on 28 Feb, so the kind dealer has also suggested I hand over the Octy Scout to him on 25 Feb, with the paperwork that will allow hime to tax the Yeti and make up the correct number plates, and he will lend me something to tide me over the 3 days or so before I pick up the SM. After so long, this all sounds too good to be true. I wonder if it's the right colour and spec?!

Brilliant news!!!!!!!!!!! I trust you will be there pronto to go and take photographs of it all wrapped in its white protective film?!