2.0 cr 110 opinions?

john96

Hi all,

waiting for test drive to get sorted, is this the best option for the 2wd versions? Not planning to go off road, so I assume 4wd is not needed? The SE seems to have most of what I want. Ta!

I have this engine in my Yeti and have done approx 2,500 miles so far, in the last 2 months since I picked it up, I had initially thought that the car would be underpowered but I have to say that is not the case, it has coped well on the variety of roads I've been on A/B/Motorways and driving in urban cities. It pulls well through all the gears thanks to the decent torque on offer.

I've also never seen a dpf light either despite some short journeys and my daily commute being no more than about 6 miles, though I do get out for longer drives at weekends.

Fuel economy on a longer jaunt can be 50+ mpg and a trip in and out of town it drops to about 30-35mpg, my average at the moment is about 45mpg.

Mine is the 4x4 version so figures may vary for a 2wd.

The 4x4 does have more torque than the 2WD one.

If you find OctyGone on the forum, he bought a 110BHP off me and took it to a rolling road centre and I'm pretty sure it was producing slightly more than 110bhp anyway.

I've got a 110BHP 4x4 Elegance you can take for a drive if you're local to me, obviously sods law states that you will be at least 300 miles away from me...

Also if you don't need 4x4 don't discount the 1.2 or 1.4TSi engines, they are cheaper than the diesels and very nice to drive.

Hi all,

waiting for test drive to get sorted, is this the best option for the 2wd versions? Not planning to go off road, so I assume 4wd is not needed? The SE seems to have most of what I want. Ta!

It really depends on what type of journey you will be using the car for and how many miles a year you drive.....

Lots of driving around town is not so good for diesels - Elsie has regenerated her DPF a few times now, and she has only done 2800 miles in 6 weeks.

The 1.2TSI is also pretty good on fuel, not as good, then there is the greenline TDI

Questions, questions........choices, choices....

Mike

I also do not intend to go off road but by crikey getting a 4wd has been worth it during this winter. Clearly you could get winter tyres, a whole new debate, but I suspect that a lot of people will go for the 4wd to cope with winter rather than off roading.

The great advantage of the 2wd of course is the better fuel economy. I get between 42-45mpg with my 4wd and very few seem to get much better, genuine reading not using maxidot to measure it. I believe the 2wd versions can genuinely get over 50mpg and in these times of pricey fuel that is worth thinking about.

Thanks for the quick replies, Im in Dorset at the moment, but Im in the Army and getting posted back to Germany next month

I (if I like the test drive) intend keeping it for a few years so would like it to be as reliable as possible. My drive to work there is 20 miles each way, mostly A roads and no traffic jams!

Must add that my budget is nearly bust at those prices so I dont want an elegance!! lol

Edited by john96

Hi John and welcome,

I have pretty much what your talking about a SE spec, CR TDI 110 2WD. Had the Yeti for 7 months, only had 1 very minor problem with an electric window, apart from that, trouble free motoring.

It feels very nippy around town and has plenty of power on the motorway.

I swapped the Dunlop summer tyres for Falken Eurowinters (same size - 225/50/17) and its transformed the car during all the snow we had. 2 weeks ago I drove up a remote steep farmers track covered with 3 inches of solid ice, which had been covered by rain hours before, the Yeti drove up with little drama. Averaging 42mpg at the moment, but usually 45-48 in the summer months. Well built car and well worth a test drive :)

Has anyone driven both 2+4wd and do they feel any different? I guess that the 4wd will have more torque, but as the 4wd is also around 200kg(??) heavier, what is nicer to drive?

the 1.4 scares me a little mpg wise!!

James Im at bovington in Dorset now, I leave next month! You probably know how much I can get them for with the Tax Free thing, but need to get LHD headlights as well! Also come back to pick it up...

Also something to bear in mind though I'm not sure is that the 2wd 110tdi has only a 5spd box and not a 6.

"Elsie has regenerated her DPF a few times now, and she has only done 2800 miles in 6 weeks."

Mike

Quick query how can you tell the can is regenerating the DPF either passively or actively?

Thanks

Also something to bear in mind though I'm not sure is that the 2wd 110tdi has only a 5spd box and not a 6.

Quick query how can you tell the car is regenerating the DPF either passively or actively?

Thanks

The Smell! (like burning rubber) Often the cooling fans run on after you have stopped the engine. Idle revs to 1000 from 800.

Quick query how can you tell the can is regenerating the DPF either passively or actively?

Thanks

The noise and the burning rubber smell when you turn the engine off is I believe the active one. It is like the fan is still on. The passive one happens when you are driving, so may not hear the sound above all the other sounds around you.

I think I have that the right way round.

Mike

john,

i have the 110 4x4 SE

it has all i need.

used daily for a short 7 mile commute and regularly see 50mpg on the way there and 42 on the way home (it's uphill coming back)

long distance driving on A roads can see in excess of 50mpg, just, but motorways cruising at 70 - 75 sees that drop to low to mid 40's.

i drove the 2 wheel drive 110 on my test drive and can't say i notice any difference.

apart from in snow and ice that is. even on summer tyres the 4x4 is very capable.

nearly forgot...

if you want one quickly you might be better going for a petrol engine as the diesels are taking a very long time to arrive.

Edited by YetiClive

Is the 5 speed box any more of a strain to drive than the 6?

Clive, I belive that 6 months is the norm? But is it not the dsg models that take the longest?

Edited by john96

john,

i have the 110 4x4 SE

it has all i need.

used daily for a short 7 mile commute and regularly see 50mpg on the way there and 42 on the way home (it's uphill coming back)

long distance driving on A roads can see in excess of 50mpg, just, but motorways cruising at 70 - 75 sees that drop to low to mid 40's.

i drove the 2 wheel drive 110 on my test drive and can't say i notice any difference.

apart from in snow and ice that is. even on summer tyres the 4x4 is very capable.

So not that different to our CR140ish DSG's at motorway speeds.

The Yeti is at it's most economical I'm guessing in the 50-60's mph range.

Mike

Edited by rockhopper

I think a warning light comes on if you need to do something proactively like drive at a reasonable speed for some distance, after lots of short slow journeys. I have done 9000 miles now in 6 months and have yet to notice a cleaning cycle so the longer motorway trips I do at times must be enough to clear it out passively.

The 2wd is fine for most use, although with the standard tyres it was not very good in snow.

It is a good motorway car and can cruise happily at xxxmph all day if you want to, but I tend to run at a just about legal speed and get around 46mpg overall.

Handling is surprisingly good for a tall car, although it will understeer if pushed hard, and i have occasionally seen the esp light flashing on tight bends with adverse camber near where I live.

I would like more power for overtaking though, this is the week point, and I often think twice before trying to pass someone on a two way road, unless I can see a long way ahead. The extra 20bhp in my previous mark 1 superb was quite adequate for overtaking, so it is frustratingly close. I suspect the 140bhp is about right, and the 170bhp adequate as Rolls Royce used to say.

Depending on your last car you may have different views about the suspention. I find it a little harsh and jiggly, but it is much better than other cars I have driven in the past.

It will idle at 1000rpm until engine is fully up to temperature, which in the weather we have had recently, can be quite a long time. I have seen the engine temperature actually drop while idling if it hasn't reached normal.