Is Yeti mania common among older males?

Peter a Proud Yorkshireman

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 here and alas not retiring soon. Unless those lottery numbers come though. Having an outdoorsy lifestyle of camping, cycling and kayaks this car suits me perfectly I have to say.

55 up tomorrow, and got my Yeti TDI CR170 4x4 Elegance two weeks ago. Actually I still feel (and behave) 35.

I've always been a fan of VW group cars (fabulous engines, and great reliability); I've had a Scirocco Mk1, a Golf GTI Mk2, and a Golf GTI 16v Mk2, a Golf VR6, a Passat 1.9 TDI estate and an Audi A4 2.0 TDI estate. Thought seriously about a Tiguan, the last Passat estate, the new Golf estate (and the Octavia Scout) before buying the Yeti. In the end the figures didn't make any sense for any of the others (bar the Octavia - but I prefer the Yeti looks). My Yeti just has the standard Elegance kit ... but it would have cost me about £8k more to get a Tiguan up to that level ... for what?

So far the Yeti compares favourably with any of the previous cars; performance is on a par with the GTI, and not too far short of the VR6 (which had only an extra 4 bhp, though admittedly not the 4x4 weight, and the petrol 'six' spins up a lot quicker than the diesel). For most purposes the Yeti has more than ample performance for me (and I've got an MGB with a 3.5 litre Rover V8 up it's chuff in the garage if I really need a blast).

Loads of space and comfort, ample for me (6 foot and 17 stone these days), the wife and dog (a flat coated retriever). Also plenty of room for skiing gear (4 pairs of skis, 2 pairs of boots and all associated luggage will be heading down to the Alps in a few weeks - inside the car, I won't need to fit my roof box) and I'm sure all the sailing gear will fit in come the summer.

In the meantime, commuting to work is a joy, and driving the mile from the main road, on the farm track up a Pennine hillside in the snow (way beyond the capacity of my recently departed, and not missed at all, Volvo V50 - which I had to park down on the main road in bad weather) to my house is so much easier than walking it (especially with a rucksack full of tins of dogfood).

The Yeti just seems to be the perfect all rounder.

I guess, at 68, I am classified as an older male. Ordered my Yeti 2.0 Tdi Elegance DSG back in October. Now on my third given build week - 18 (hopefully 2011). Retired 2000, former biker (last one was a Yamaha Diversion 900 though followed this with a Honda 250 Foresight scooter until last year). Split time between UK and home in France where the 4x4 should come in handy for rough tracks around where I live (routes communales) and for taking 'shortest route' on the SatNav which often takes me onto very minor and sometimes unsurfaced roads. Current car is a VW Touran 2.0 DSG Sport. Love the DSG box which is by far the best automatic I have used. Also have a Micra auto for short trips (shopping trolley). The Yeti ticks all our boxes bar the small boot (might be difficult to get the suitcases in when the wine is loaded). Looking forward to actually driving it and getting to know its capabilities. The Touran has been excellent, bought new in 2004 and by far the longest I have kept any car so I hope that the Yeti lives up to its hype and the positive comments it receives on this forum.