Bonnet release lever in cabin broken

Hi there,

The lever in my 07 vrs that opens the bonnet (the one in the cabin by your right knee) has broken it falls off in your hand as you try to open the bonnet. Tbh, I probably damaged it when I took the trim panel off ages ago. It's finally given up and can't even hold it in the cam firmly, it just spins now. You can see the plastic on the handle is worn.

Any idea of the cost of these, or a part number (even better a pic so can be sure I have right part number).

Cheers, steve

Bonnet release handle on our 2010 Octavia came away in my hand without using any excess force. On examination it does look like a piece of poor design . The handle lever plastic "spline" ribs are very thin and would not take much force to "round off".

I will be making a warranty claim for this . I would think this would be a fairly common fault for owners that make fairly frequent under bonnet checks , fluids etc.

Isn't it designed to come off in an accident? Mine seems to come off a bit too easily if I touch it with my foot getting in and out, anybody else had that?

Nothing is broken on mine, but maybe its a faulty handle?

• 1 month later...

My internal bonnet release catch came away in my hand this afternoon( 2 pieces, the lever and a semi-circular sort of cam. Can anyone advise on how to reposition these 2 parts.

Thanks for any assistance dffered.

BIG F

• 7 months later...

Hi there. the bonnet release of my Octavia did came off once like you have mentioned. but instead of replacing with a new one i have applies fast fixing adhesive and replaced the handle on to the socket. I have applied some greese on the Engine hood lock as well. after leaving it for a while everything working pretty good now. you can also try the same way and save a bit. make sure u apply some greese on the engine hood lock as well so that the handle doesnt comes off again.

regards

Raja.

My previous Octavia had exactly the same problem but fortunately always managed to find enough grip in order to operate if I pushed it inwards along the axis of the splined metal bit as I pulled the lever.

If it's too far gone, perhaps try squirting a bit of Loctite or heavy duty glue in the top of the lever which might set hard enough to give it enough purchase in extremis?

Failing that, you could always keep a small adjustable spanner or a pair of Mole grips handy.. :)

Agreed though - the design is on the rubbish side isn't it?

Just a thought, but is the Golf/Seat version very much different/better engineered/worth considering as a replacement or is it incompatible?

Edited by ethel

Hi guys, Thanks for the advice. Mine is too far gone for repair it must have been pulled when it wasnt on properly as the teeth have sheered off on the handle and are damaged on the bracket the bit that pushes into the bracket has snapped aswell! so another new set it will have to be it is a pain to fit :-( as for another VAG part my girlfriend has a seat arosa the handle looks the same it seems loose but has never come off and looks to be the original part. If mine snaps again I mite go for one of those.

Mine fell off several times from new and I asked for them to look at it at 1st service. The technician came out and talked to me about it thumped it hard back into place and it seems to have stayed put.

I think it is a very poor piece of design as it only held in place by a plastic clip/spring which doesn't provide enough resistance to being brushed by a stray foot on entry to the car.

The garage said to me that I must have been pulling the lever to the side when opening the bonnet and demonstrated it falls off really easily like that.

Mine did not fall off when I was opening the bonnet however but when I was driving.

As its the only thing that's gone remotely wrong with my car in 15K miles and is a design fault rather than a fault with my car I guess I'll live with it

Good grief! Whatever next windows falling out wheels coming off. Seriously though, is this problem unique to Octavias or does it extend to other Skoda/VAG cars. How do you open bonnet if lever disintegrates?

Yea have seen a fair few threads on other sites relating to the same issue!

In regards to opening the bonnet as long as you haven't completely ruined the plastic teeth on the handle (doesn't happen much) then you can push it back on and open the bonnet, but it will fall back off again and new handle with retaining (well its supposed to be) clip is needed.

Thanks for info re opening bonnet. The reason I ask is that last time I passed thru Dover on way to euroland I was pulled over by security people. They were not interested in content of boot but wanted to view engine compartment - they were very insistent on this. If unable to open bonnet they could well have refused to let me embark.

• 1 year later...

Just found this old thread when searching as mine has done this from the day I got it about 1 year ago now, the handle just falls off if you touch it - It will go back on and allow you to open the bonnet but the plastic spines look ruined to me so I think I just need to replace it.

I don't suppose anyone has the part number to hand? I was going to write the part code down on the part but forgot and my wife has the car today so I can't check it.

My bonnet release requires a worrying amount of force to release the bonnet - enough to think it will break. Is this normal?
normal for the octavia yes, one day it will sheer off and you will struggle to open it again.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Had one fall off when driving after one month of ownership replaced under warranty, came off in my hand recently, refitted by Skoda assist advised always sit in car when opening catch so you are pulling it squarely.

Edited by mellyboy