A Little Phone Tip

I'm sure most of you know this but here is a little tip for those of you with an Aux in and a phone with a standard 3.5mm headphone socket.

Buy a cheap fixing bracket for your phone (Brodit are excellent and quite reasonable), a car charger and a male/male 3.5mm lead. Connect you phone into the Aux in by thithe 3.5mm lead and make sure the Aux is activated in the stereo menu (mines the Bolero and is in the Setup/Media area). Now, you can use your phone as an MP3 player if it has this function and when you get an incoming call you can answer it simply by pressing your answer button on your phone. When you do your music will stop and you will hear the phone through the car speakers and your mic on your phone should be sensitive enough for you to speak without having an additional microphone.

This is 100% legal as you are complying with the legislation i.e. only operating one button and in a hands free cradle.

Saves spending on a Bluetooth Parrot system or the £350.00 plus to have Bluetooth retro fitted.

Rich

HTC Desire.

As stated - it's so simple and so cheap - Items needed:-

1. Skoda (any car really) with 3.5 Aux In and compatible stereo (Aux)

2. 3.5mm male/male lead - long enough to reach your phone

3. Mobile phone with 3.5mm headphone out - any Walkman or MP3 style phone (Sony Ericsson etc) should have the 3.5mm. I used an HTC Desire.

Optional:-

Phone cradle (I used a Brodit passive and a separate phone charger).

Method:-

1. If using a mount - fit it!

2. Place phone in cradle

3. Connect one end of 3.5mm lead into your Aux in (in Jumbo box in Octy vRS)

4. Connect other end into your headphone socket on your mobile

5. If using the MP3 player in your phone make sure Aux is selected in your head unit (mine is a Bolero)

OK, the really easy part - if you're using the phone as an MP3 via your Aux in all you have to do when it rings is push your answer button. The phone will cut the MP3 as soon as it gets the call and you'll hear the ring tone in your car through the speakers instead of music. Once you've pressed your answer on your phone you'll be able to talk so long as your phone is not obstructed (in your pocket or the Jumbo box).

If you're NOT using the MP3 then DON'T plug the 3.5mm into the headphone socket as you won't hear the phone - plug it in when it starts to ring and press Aux before answering the phone.

I'll put some piccies up as soon as I get enough light to take them (working from dawn till dark).

Rich

I was hoping you were gonna say iphone as I posted a topic a while ago on this subject. I wanted to plug a 3.5mm line from the Aux socket to the iphone jack at the bottom of the iphone (not the 3.5mm jack) but no one knew if it would work.

I have a stream mp3.

Edited by martziniuk

I don't think it will - not 100% though. I have a Sony MP3 player with an 3.5mm on the top and a connector on the bottom, I also have a little lead that plugs into this with a 3.5mm male on the other end. I tried this the other day in the Bolero and nothing happened, no music.

That socket on the bottom is - I think - the dedicated connector for iPHONE (iPOD) compatible devices (stereos etc). It won't work without adapters, which I've seen that you can buy for certain stereo systems/head units.

It'd be nice to get them to work so you can control the music from the head unit!

I don't think it will - not 100% though. I have a Sony MP3 player with an 3.5mm on the top and a connector on the bottom, I also have a little lead that plugs into this with a 3.5mm male on the other end. I tried this the other day in the Bolero and nothing happened, no music.

That socket on the bottom is - I think - the dedicated connector for iPHONE (iPOD) compatible devices (stereos etc). It won't work without adapters, which I've seen that you can buy for certain stereo systems/head units.

It'd be nice to get them to work so you can control the music from the head unit!

Sure would be nice. I'm quite sure you can plug into the iphone 3.5mm jack but quality suffers apparently due to the iphones amp or something like that. A cheap adapter would be brill :yes:

HTC Desire.

As stated - it's so simple and so cheap - Items needed:-

1. Skoda (any car really) with 3.5 Aux In and compatible stereo (Aux)

2. 3.5mm male/male lead - long enough to reach your phone

3. Mobile phone with 3.5mm headphone out - any Walkman or MP3 style phone (Sony Ericsson etc) should have the 3.5mm. I used an HTC Desire.

Optional:-

Phone cradle (I used a Brodit passive and a separate phone charger).

Method:-

1. If using a mount - fit it!

2. Place phone in cradle

3. Connect one end of 3.5mm lead into your Aux in (in Jumbo box in Octy vRS)

4. Connect other end into your headphone socket on your mobile

5. If using the MP3 player in your phone make sure Aux is selected in your head unit (mine is a Bolero)

OK, the really easy part - if you're using the phone as an MP3 via your Aux in all you have to do when it rings is push your answer button. The phone will cut the MP3 as soon as it gets the call and you'll hear the ring tone in your car through the speakers instead of music. Once you've pressed your answer on your phone you'll be able to talk so long as your phone is not obstructed (in your pocket or the Jumbo box).

If you're NOT using the MP3 then DON'T plug the 3.5mm into the headphone socket as you won't hear the phone - plug it in when it starts to ring and press Aux before answering the phone.

I'll put some piccies up as soon as I get enough light to take them (working from dawn till dark).

Rich

would this work with a dance hu and sony erickson phone, if i got the correct lead to connect from phone to jumbo box ?

Sure would be nice. I'm quite sure you can plug into the iphone 3.5mm jack but quality suffers apparently due to the iphones amp or something like that. A cheap adapter would be brill :yes:

The 3.5mm socket isn't amplified, so you'll have to turn up the iPod/phone pretty loud, and the quality suffers. So use a PocketDock, which gives you a LineOut from the Apple product and is amplified - I have one connected to my hi-fi for my iPod and it works very well - quality is maintained. Or this might be a cheaper option - think my PocketDock was between £15-20 when I bought it a few years ago.

The 3.5mm socket isn't amplified, so you'll have to turn up the iPod/phone pretty loud, and the quality suffers. So use a PocketDock, which gives you a LineOut from the Apple product and is amplified - I have one connected to my hi-fi for my iPod and it works very well - quality is maintained. Or this might be a cheaper option - think my PocketDock was between £15-20 when I bought it a few years ago.

I think this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5mm-Car-Auxiliary-AUX-Audio-Cable-iPhone-3GS-/140504648713?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_PortableAudio_MP3PlayerCarKits&hash=item20b6bacc09 is a simlar design to your link but I don't know if it would work with iPhone and stream mp3, I believe the iPod works.

P.s sorry for thread hijack.

Edited by martziniuk

Always wary of 'all in one' solutions like that. Just depends if they've altered the pinout arrangement on the connector of the iPhone. Might try it with a friend's here and see what happens.

Always wary of 'all in one' solutions like that. Just depends if they've altered the pinout arrangement on the connector of the iPhone. Might try it with a friend's here and see what happens.

Would appreciate that :) I haven't got aux into the stereo back yet but would fit if I could connect my iPhone.

Hi All

We have a Parrot CK3200 LCD bluetooth kit and the lcd screen is fitted to a bracket in front of the middle airvent at the top of the dash. The brackets (made by Dashmount) are available from www.costar.co.uk and are designed to fit your car so just put the make, model and year in to get the correct bracket.

They didn't have one listed for the 2010 VRS when we got ours a few months ago but the 2004 one fits perfectly.

You can get brackets that fit on the left side of the radio but someone always hits the lcd screen with their knee when getting into the car so we now always get tye bracket for the top of the dash

The Parrot kit can be setup for voice activation so keeps you legal.

The Parrot kits are usually around £75 and the brackets are around £15 so not overly expensive.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by FatblokeVRS

Dashmount brackets are also available direct from www.dashmount.co.uk - check eBay as well. Worth grabbing the model number and searching eBay with that :thumbup:

Depending on the vehicle the Brodit car mounts can often be available in slightly better locations. Tend to use www.handnav.co.uk, or again - keep an eye on eBay.

Cheers,

Steve

Dashmount brackets are also available direct from www.dashmount.co.uk - check eBay as well. Worth grabbing the model number and searching eBay with that :thumbup:

Depending on the vehicle the Brodit car mounts can often be available in slightly better locations. Tend to use www.handnav.co.uk, or again - keep an eye on eBay.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi

I have used a few of the dashmount brackets over the past few years and found that they were quite a bit cheaper from CoStar than buying direct from Dashmount.

Haven't used the Brovit brackets but they could be worth a look if they can go in different locations.

Always found the Dashmount ones to be quite sturdy.

Cheers

Dave

Fair enough. For each vehicle I've had, I've checked both manufacturers - just to see which offered the best option. So I've had brackets from both and they're both as good as each other. Well made and exactly fit for purpose :thumbup:

I tried this on my iPhone this morning and it worked fine even having it rest in the cup holders in the centre console

What headunit do you have?

Did you use the bottom iPhone jack plug and do you have a link to the cable you used?

What was displayed on the headunit whilst playing iPhone track?

Thanks.

It may be true that the 3.5mm socket is not amplified but I am not sure that it causes any issues. I use the same trick to listen to music and talk on my (Nokia E75) phone quite succesfully. I remember that somewhere in the set-up for the Bolero you can set the sensitivity of the AUX input and I used the highest setting.

It causes issues in the fact that the quality isn't as good.

You're having to use both the output (iPhone/iPod) and the input (headunit) at a higher level of volume that you otherwise would, in order to hear it properly - because the output isn't being amplified as it's being outputted. This causes distortion and the quality of the music suffers. If that's not an issue for you then :thumbup:

What headunit do you have?

Did you use the bottom iPhone jack plug and do you have a link to the cable you used?

What was displayed on the headunit whilst playing iPhone track?

Thanks.

Headunit is the stream mp3 with the aux in the arm rest. The lead I have is something like this

Mine is quite a short lead but the idea of having a holder on the screen nearer to you would be better than in the cup holder.

It worked fine although I had to talk louder than normal seeing as the phone was a little way from my mouth. I have a parrot kit so its not an issue, I just need to fit it but this is a cheaper alternative.

Oh and it comes through the stereo on aux menu and all you can change is the volume. A window holder would mean you could probably skip without actually touching the phone so its 'hands free'

Headunit is the stream mp3 with the aux in the arm rest. The lead I have is something like this

Mine is quite a short lead but the idea of having a holder on the screen nearer to you would be better than in the cup holder.

It worked fine although I had to talk louder than normal seeing as the phone was a little way from my mouth. I have a parrot kit so its not an issue, I just need to fit it but this is a cheaper alternative.

Oh and it comes through the stereo on aux menu and all you can change is the volume. A window holder would mean you could probably skip without actually touching the phone so its 'hands free'

Ahh right I was hoping you were using the large flat jack plug in the bottom of the phone. I'm surprised you could change the volume on the headunit though.

Ahh right I was hoping you were using the large flat jack plug in the bottom of the phone. I'm surprised you could change the volume on the headunit though.

Its just an input at the end of the day. So its replacing your headphones and the stereo is only an amp for the iphone so you can change the volume. For just a couple of quid its a cheap mod.

I have just bought the connect 2 and nabbed my old mans Parrot 3100 having sold my alpine BT stereo so this morning was just a test to see how it was. Not bad considering

Chaps,

Why not go a step further and get one of these http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2633/kensington-liquidaux-bluetooth-car-kit

You can then be Bluetooth'd up for £13.18 (assuming you choose the 2-4 day delivery option). Music, calls and Satnav wirelessly via the Aux socket.......

Couple of little tips:

1. Phone volume should be at max otherwise headunit amplifies too much bluetooth noise

2. It has a usb socket to charge your phone (assuming you have a smart phone)

3. The remote unit sits in a watch type strap that is supposed to attach to your steering wheel (rubbish idea). However, it's easily removed and with a little double sided tape can be fixed direct to the dashboard position of your choice. You can then skip tracks / answer the phone even if your phone screen is off......

Job done!

Cheers,

Underwurlde