Tow Prep

The Plumber

Learnt something new today from the parts 'book' Monsters with factory tow prep have more powerful cooling fans as standard B)

TP

Nice one TP.

I would have gone for the prep myself only at the time no one had a clue what it included!

looks like now you get the extra cooling, wiring loom, bumper with the hatch and the ecu upgrade so not a bad deal.

looks like now you get the extra cooling, wiring loom, bumper with the hatch and the ecu upgrade so not a bad deal.

But why does it still cost about the same to have a tow bar fitted whether you have tow bar prep or not? That's still a mystery!

Still don't understand why Skoda can't offer a factory fitted tow bar option to save all the confussion.

But why does it still cost about the same to have a tow bar fitted whether you have tow bar prep or not? That's still a mystery!

Still don't understand why Skoda can't offer a factory fitted tow bar option to save all the confussion.

Believe they do just not in the UK :swear:

TP

I may be wrong but...

Fitting the towbar is what it says, dealing with the hardware. It is the same whether or not you have the towbar prep.

The more difficult, bit is fitting the electrics which involves removing the interior panelling from the fuse box in the front to fit the wiring to the back of the car. I believe that this is what the towbar prep consists of, as well as fitting the removable panel in the rear skirt.

Someone who has had the towbar prep should be able to confirm this. When I ordered my Yeti in Oct 2009 the dealer had no idea what the towbar prep did.

Fitting the hardware looks relatively straightforward, see: http://www.westfalia-automotive.de/fileadmin/templates/pdf/317-skoda/a317079691101-317077.pdf

Fitting the electrics doesn't, see the link in this post: http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/169092-towbar-wiring/

The Erich Jaeger instructions are the only ones I have found.

tom

Edited by Sanqhar

My dealer (who I trust) told me that ordering the "tow bar prep" includes having the wires front to back fitted at the factory, so that hardly anything needs to be done by them when they come to fit the actual bar and that they can just plug the electrics in, before "adjusting" the ECU.

I thought the more powerful alternator came if you ordered the full caravan electrics kit, as this includes the fridge and battery charging

I may be wrong but...

Fitting the towbar is what it says, dealing with the hardware. It is the same whether or not you have the towbar prep.

The more difficult, bit is fitting the electrics which involves removing the interior panelling from the fuse box in the front to fit the wiring to the back of the car. I believe that this is what the towbar prep consists of, as well as fitting the removable panel in the rear skirt.

Someone who has had the towbar prep should be able to confirm this. When I ordered my Yeti in Oct 2009 the dealer had no idea what the towbar prep did.

Fitting the hardware looks relatively straightforward, see: http://www.westfalia...1101-317077.pdf

Fitting the electrics doesn't, see the link in this post: http://briskoda.net/...-towbar-wiring/

The Erich Jaeger instructions are the only ones I have found.

tom

I have towbar preparation, but not yet had a towbar installed.

I know it has the hatch, but not sure what else....

I will be going for the Westfalia detachable one when ready.

Mike

Hi,

As I said in another thread, info from my dealer says that towbar prep is fitting the modified loom so the can bus recognizes the trailer and ensures the lights work correctly, also the light sensor needs to check the trailer indicators work, legal requirement. I assume the ECU mods are to set all this up. And the body mods.

I was also told that Skoda do not fit the permanent live and the ignition controlled feed, bit of a misnomer as the ignition controlled feed is actually controlled by the alternator.

I don't see why Skoda can't factory fit towbar and wiring on the line as it's all to EU standards. We are the only country still using 12N & 12S plugs, though I see that is now changing.

Chris.

Still don't understand why Skoda can't offer a factory fitted tow bar option to save all the confusion.

You can get a tow bar fitted by linking into the existing loom via the feed to the rear lights.

But you may not get the bumper and hatch (just a hole in the bumper),

And you don't get the auto sensing function that tells the system a trailer is attached.

You may not think that matters much as it will work OK unless you want to full Euro 13pin electrics.

There is an issue over the warranty if a tow bar is fitted without the special wiring loom but you would have to be really unlucky for that to be a problem.

Reference the modification to the rear bumper, people who ordered the tow bar prep, is there anything different to modifying the bumper yourself..?

You can by the bumper panel yourself and fit it easily (its the silver part of the bumper) it is exactly the same as the original but has the removable hatch included.

Cost if around £85

You can by the bumper panel yourself and fit it easily (its the silver part of the bumper) it is exactly the same as the original but has the removable hatch included.

Cost if around £85

So it's a full replacement silver part, not just a door way you have to cut into your existing bumper?

Cheers mate..!

Reference the modification to the rear bumper, people who ordered the tow bar prep, is there anything different to modifying the bumper yourself..?

As mentioned above, just buy a new panel. Not sure you'll achieve as good a quality result with a hacksaw :giggle:

201003210034.jpg

201003210052.jpg

201003210040.jpg

201003210039.jpg

201003210046.jpg

201003210047.jpg

201003210038.jpg

201003210035.jpg

201003210045.jpg

201003210044.jpg

201003210043.jpg

Edited by silver1011

You can get a tow bar fitted by linking into the existing loom via the feed to the rear lights.

But you may not get the bumper and hatch (just a hole in the bumper),

And you don't get the auto sensing function that tells the system a trailer is attached.

You may not think that matters much as it will work OK unless you want to full Euro 13pin electrics.

There is an issue over the warranty if a tow bar is fitted without the special wiring loom but you would have to be really unlucky for that to be a problem.

Car lights these day work on digital systems (can bus) you still need this as the law still requires a way of telling the driver if the trailer indicators are not working.

A lot of strange things happen if you just piggy back a trailer on to the lights.

Chris.

I don't see why Skoda can't factory fit towbar and wiring on the line as it's all to EU standards. We are the only country still using 12N & 12S plugs, though I see that is now changing.

Chris.

It is .... since the 2009 model year all UK caravans have the 13 pin plug. My 2010 Swift does, I had no idea how superior the 13 pin system was until I began using it!

I would have a factory fitted bracket IF they offered a fixed bracket and it was fully wired for fridge, battery charger and ALKO ATC.