uneven rear tyre wear

I fitted a new rear near side tyre some time last year following a puncture, can't remember exactly when, but it was well after I had my fronts changed. The other day I noticed that the outer quarter is almost down to the wear bar, similar to the level of wear on the fronts. I had a 4 wheel alignment done last year too. So apart from obvious alignment issues, might this indicate bushes or wear somewhere else?

Given that I cover about 22k per year, I reckon this rear tyre has done about 12k compared to about 28k for the fronts.

There is no point in having a four wheel aligiment done on a car that you cant adjust the rear toe.

Its a myth that people that dont know, usally from ATS and so on tell you to get more money from you!!!

The only time you can use a four wheel track adjustment is say on a car like a 7 series BMW or an Omega to name only two and most modern cars

The way a four wheel track works is they adjust the rear wheels to the correct toe setting first and then adjust the front ones of off those, cars that can be adjusted from the rear nwill need to be tracked rear first, if not then once again its incorrect as if they dont know if the back wheels are straight the front arent going to be either!

Right back to your prblem!

The only two reasons why the trye should wear incorrectly on tthe rear is eiether the rear beam bushes are shot on that one side(Change them in pairs though!) or it could be a wheel bearing, funnay as it sounds i had a car that wore the outside edge of a rear tyre and it through me as the beam bushes were new and the bearing was giving no signs, either verbally or visually for ages until it started growning then it made sense.

So to be honest id change your bushes first and go from there

Nothing is adjustable on the rears of octavias but a 4 wheel alignment is still a good thing as it will tell you if everything is in spec or not,

You won't be able to adjust alot but it can still tell you if anythings out of spec

I did one on mine just to check everything was okay

Edited by Volvomeg

Nothing is adjustable on the rears of octavias but a 4 wheel alignment is still a good thing as it will tell you if everything is in spec or not,

You won't be able to adjust alot but it can still tell you if anythings out of spec

I did one on mine just to check everything was okay

A fair point, except that you can shim the rear stubs to correct toe errors. Theoretically, you could correct camber errors this way too, but no-one makes appropriate shims.

Edited by KenONeill

There is no point in having a four wheel aligiment done on a car that you cant adjust the rear toe.

Its a myth that people that dont know, usally from ATS and so on tell you to get more money from you!!!

The only time you can use a four wheel track adjustment is say on a car like a 7 series BMW or an Omega to name only two and most modern cars

The way a four wheel track works is they adjust the rear wheels to the correct toe setting first and then adjust the front ones of off those, cars that can be adjusted from the rear nwill need to be tracked rear first, if not then once again its incorrect as if they dont know if the back wheels are straight the front arent going to be either!

Right back to your prblem!

The only two reasons why the trye should wear incorrectly on tthe rear is eiether the rear beam bushes are shot on that one side(Change them in pairs though!) or it could be a wheel bearing, funnay as it sounds i had a car that wore the outside edge of a rear tyre and it through me as the beam bushes were new and the bearing was giving no signs, either verbally or visually for ages until it started growning then it made sense.

So to be honest id change your bushes first and go from there

Having had an Omega and had to have full alignment after fitting new wishbones. cost over a hundred notes (more than the wishbones), but stopped aggressive tyre wear (fronts down to cord in 2000 miles "ouch" )

Be interested to know what front adjustment required on octys. Is it just tracking?

Edited by goonybird

Anyone please

I don't think it's anything specific to the vrs mate.

After all, the rear beam is the same in all octavias apart from the 4x4 ones. It's usually caused by people jacking on the beam and possibly reversing into kerbs etc.

My rear tyres wore in a scalloped pattern n the inside. I have since changed the rear beam bushes and checked rear shocks which are fine.

New coilovers should be with me any day now so rear shocks and springs will also be changed :)

Can't tell you if the issue is cured as I still have the same tyres on the rear. They made loads of noise when I fitted them on the front so I swapped them back.

My rear tyres wore in a scalloped pattern n the inside. I have since changed the rear beam bushes and checked rear shocks which are fine.

New coilovers should be with me any day now so rear shocks and springs will also be changed :)

Can't tell you if the issue is cured as I still have the same tyres on the rear. They made loads of noise when I fitted them on the front so I swapped them back.

I had the same wear pattern n it caused a 'worn bearing' type droning noise.

New rear tyres cured the noise but am still wondering if something is wrong at the rear end to cause this type of wear.

The car had a towbar on it when I bought it so perhaps the extra weight of what ever was being towed upset the camber.

New tyres are only 6 months old so will check them in the spring to see how they're wearing.

The car had a towbar on it when I bought it so perhaps the extra weight of what ever was being towed upset the camber.

New tyres are only 6 months old so will check them in the spring to see how they're wearing.

Not an issue mate; one of the advantages of a dead beam is that you don't get rear wheel camber change with load.

Not an issue mate; one of the advantages of a dead beam is that you don't get rear wheel camber change with load.

ah, I see. Well, you learn summat new every day... cheers for that :thumbup:

Will just have to see what the rears are like after a few more 'ooo miles.

Perhaps the previous owner had swapped the front's and rears at some point.

• 1 month later...

Just been poking around my car, it has had a wheel bearing noise that I could not identify what side at the rear it was coming from, one of the guys I work with has notice both my rear tyres have a scalloped type effect on them, I am shocked on 3000 mile old goodyear eagle f1 tyres. What causes this???

Just been poking around my car, it has had a wheel bearing noise that I could not identify what side at the rear it was coming from, one of the guys I work with has notice both my rear tyres have a scalloped type effect on them, I am shocked on 3000 mile old goodyear eagle f1 tyres. What causes this???

Clear your calendar for the next few hours. ;) Now do a search for "saw-toothing". See why I said to clear your calendar?