Prospective New Owner

MikeWales

Hi All, New member here. Currently the owner of a 2008 Mercedes SLK 200K. My friends think that I am mad, but I am thinking of swapping for a Yeti!

Since we moved to rural Pembrokeshire, West Wales (last stop before Ireland!) and living 1.5 miles up a country lane, the Merc struggles to cope with the bumps and loose tarmac. With the 2 significant falls of snow we have had a 4x4 DSG seems like a good idea to make sure I get home. Any one got any thoughts on this potential change? :rofl: :no:

Hi All, New member here. Currently the owner of a 2008 Mercedes SLK 200K. My friends think that I am mad, but I am thinking of swapping for a Yeti!

Since we moved to rural Pembrokeshire, West Wales (last stop before Ireland!) and living 1.5 miles up a country lane, the Merc struggles to cope with the bumps and loose tarmac. With the 2 significant falls of snow we have had a 4x4 DSG seems like a good idea to make sure I get home. Any one got any thoughts on this potential change? :rofl: :no:

Your friends may think you mad - they know you better than me :wonder: I think you are making a good choice for your new location. We live three miles from a main road and the last two winters have proved that the Yeti is an inspired choice. Mine is a Manual but the control in the icy conditions was just excellent. Mine is on normal tyres but winter tyres would add safety.

Welcome to this friendly and most helpful of sites. I've never had a Merc so I can't comment on that changeover, but I've been a very happy Skoda owner until now and am very excited about getting my Yeti in three weeks from now. Living also in the country (albeit not up a track), I know it will be a sensible as well as (I hope) a pleasurable car. I've always had a manual drive and rather like changing gears!

Edited by hmibennett

Any one got any thoughts on this potential change? :rofl: :no:

Yes.

Don't think about it,

DO IT!!

Seriously, take a trip down to your dealer and have a test drive. If possible actually try it up the track.

Also check that everything else suits you.

Ignore all the "anti" comments you will get from those that know nothing. Just tell them Clarkson loves it!

Be prepared for a long wait if you want a diesel DSG, though.

Lovely area. I used to live in Haverfordwest.

A good shout. The Yeti will cope well with rural life, snow, ice, tight roads, poor roads etc. with aplomb. It will not drive like a Mercedes but then you will be able to use it in winter when I suspect at times this year the Merc was undriveable in the snow. If you want a 4wd to cope with rural life, winters in particular, that also drives like a regular car for the rest of the time then the Yeti is genuinely a good choice.

Any one got any thoughts on this potential change?

Only that living in rural France I had the same problem with my Merc (B Klasse - ground clearance and suspension). Sadly I went through two subsequent cars before I found the Yeti. I reckon my SM will go up my rough earth drive (23% slope) in tickover! It is more sure-footed than any car I've previously driven/owned in 50 years of driving. Even so, I went for the 2x4 version - I'm very happy with it. Almost everyone falls in love with the SM - so why would you being mad?

Of course you can't compare them for their appeal if you are a sports car fanatic.

My car is a MB but my wife has a Yeti diesel 4x4. She much prefers to drive the Yeti and I must admit I find the Yeti very good to drive and in the winter my car stays in the garage as it is rwd and useless in snow whereas the Yeti on its winter wheels has been sure footed and very stable.

On long runs I reckon my MB is a comfortable cruiser and better than the Yeti but hey it should be at the price!

Edited by survey

You won't regret it. Just remember that a 2wd car with winter tyres on will run rings around a 4x4 with summer rubber on. So putting winter tyres on your Merc will mean it will do the snow remarkably well. It is still a low car that won't like potholes and what not, so yes if the winter rubber only solves part of the problem get a Yeti. But as stated it need NOT be a 4x4. A 2wd Yeti with the right boots will also solve your problem... :rofl:

You won't regret it. Just remember that a 2wd car with winter tyres on will run rings around a 4x4 with summer rubber on. So putting winter tyres on your Merc will mean it will do the snow remarkably well. It is still a low car that won't like potholes and what not, so yes if the winter rubber only solves part of the problem get a Yeti. But as stated it need NOT be a 4x4. A 2wd Yeti with the right boots will also solve your problem... :rofl:

Depends who's driving, sunshine!!

I agree with everyone else.

Kitten and I have a 4x4 DSG Auto and we both LOVE it to bits emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

we both THOROUGHLY recumbent it to you and WHEN you get one (NOT If) I would recumbent the rough road package. Keeps road grime off all it's important little bite emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

AND will give extra protection on that 'dirt track' you have to navigate through.

I've been to Pembrokeshire, LOVELY place. Is it anywhere near Solva??

My Aunt used to own a cottage near Solva. And I've got some GREAT photos of St. Davids Cathedral too emoticon-0144-nod.gif

Thanks all for the replies so far. I have a driven a Yeti,it was a diesel 2.0 Elegance and it felt really good in the road. I thought it was 4x4, but NO it was only a 2 wheel drive. It had the sunroof, so I am interested to hear that they may be supplying that in the UK again soon. After all I am used to a bit of a view overhead!

Yes I live between Haverfordwest & Solva, as you say, a lovely part of the world, a bit better than Croydon where I spent 18 years working. :rofl:

Edited by MikeWales

Depends who's driving, sunshine!!

Hehehe. True. But I was speaking of "the average driver out there". Not a professionally trained drive like you Graham! Us heathens need all the help we can get.

Some people just don't have a clue - they just think they do.

My friends think that I am mad, but I am thinking of swapping for a Yeti!

The question is though, will your friends still talk to you when you move up to a Skoda? :rofl:

I swapped a 2007 BMW 320i convertable for my Yeti and haven't regretted it for a moment... that said it is winter and come the spring I just may start missing that folding hardtop!

I swapped a 2007 BMW 320i convertable for my Yeti and haven't regretted it for a moment... that said it is winter and come the spring I just may start missing that folding hardtop!

Yes I had the roof off on the Merc on the way to work today. Yes I know I may have looked a prat, B) but with the Airscarf heating in the back of the seat round my neck, all was lovely in the world in sunny Pembrokeshire.

Anyone any more news on the possible reintroduction to the UK of the sunroof?

Flog the Merc, buy the Yeti. Use the change to buy a cheap, small, classic two seater that will give you all the open air motoring you need with masses of fun. I've currently got a V8 MGB roadster (and used to have an Austin Healey Sprite). Pre 1971, so no road tax to pay, limited mileage classic car insurance policy (5000 miles pa ... comes in at about £150 fully comp). Sorted, innit!

Flog the Merc, buy the Yeti. Use the change to buy a cheap, small, classic two seater that will give you all the open air motoring you need with masses of fun. I've currently got a V8 MGB roadster (and used to have an Austin Healey Sprite). Pre 1971, so no road tax to pay, limited mileage classic car insurance policy (5000 miles pa ... comes in at about £150 fully comp). Sorted, innit!

Hi all, Sad to say I probably wont be joining the Yeti club after all. My local dealer has made a few mistakes on the price, which then goes up every time he realises that he made the mistake. So my cost to change has gone up and up. It has all left a very bad taste. I suppose I could try another dealer BUT of course I would have to get the car serviced at my local dealer as the nearest after that is over 100 miles away. So which way now Nissan/Volkswagen/Ford for my 4x4? I'm sure none of them will be as good as the Yeti!

Hi all, Sad to say I probably wont be joining the Yeti club after all. My local dealer has made a few mistakes on the price, which then goes up every time he realises that he made the mistake. So my cost to change has gone up and up. It has all left a very bad taste. I suppose I could try another dealer BUT of course I would have to get the car serviced at my local dealer as the nearest after that is over 100 miles away. So which way now Nissan/Volkswagen/Ford for my 4x4? I'm sure none of them will be as good as the Yeti!

If you think the Yeti's the best car, stick with it and make life uncomfortable for your dealer: if he has messed you about, or appears untrustworthy, use that (and communicate with SkodaUK, and post about it on the dealer section of this website) as leverage to get the deal you want. Don't let a rubbish dealer win twice over, first by messing you about and then by pushing you towards a second-best choice of car!

Sorry to hear about your poor customer service experiences emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Is this dealer in Perrots Road by any chance????

If you're THAT set on a Yeti, then GO FOR IT!!!!!

Complain about your treatment at this dealership to SUK and go back and say you're after compensation for inconvenience AND poor service.

Please DON"T give up, we're going to miss you if you leave emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Edited by Macdemon

I hate to state the obvious , but you don't have to go to your local dealer for a service. Have it done in France on holiday (or Outer Mongolia,etc.) Buy your yeti from anywhere in the country to get a good price and personal service.Use it as an excuse for a lovely day out....Then you'll have a great drive home in the new monster. like we did. :yes:

Mike, looking at the dealer reviews on here the dealer in H'west doesn't seem to get many good ones!!

The dealer in Swansea has had many good reports and isn't that far from you, really. I'm sure SWMBO likes a quick shopping trip there!!

If you think the Yeti's the best car, stick with it and make life uncomfortable for your dealer: if he has messed you about, or appears untrustworthy, use that (and communicate with SkodaUK, and post about it on the dealer section of this website) as leverage to get the deal you want. Don't let a rubbish dealer win twice over, first by messing you about and then by pushing you towards a second-best choice of car!

[/quote

Where is the "Dealer Section" on this site?

Edited by alecd