Early delivery and registering the car

My story is pretty similar, ordered on the 24th Dec just been told that the car will have to be regisetered within 14 days of arriving in the UK and that it will be on a 60 plate.

I have been offered 2 courses of action though,

1. Take delivery on a 60 plate, pay the pre 2011 price increase ex VAT and take the interest free credit.

2. Delay registry until 1st March, lose the interest free credit and pay the £300 increase in the 2011 ex-VAT price.

Neither of these options seem terribly appealing.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My story is pretty similar, ordered on the 24th Dec just been told that the car will have to be regisetered within 14 days of arriving in the UK and that it will be on a 60 plate.

I have been offered 2 courses of action though,

1. Take delivery on a 60 plate, pay the pre 2011 price increase ex VAT and take the interest free credit.

2. Delay registry until 1st March, lose the interest free credit and pay the £300 increase in the 2011 ex-VAT price.

Neither of these options seem terribly appealing.

I assume then your car has arrived? The dealer can register it as an 11-plate from today. You can sort payment, sign credit agreement whatever. You just can't drive the car until March 1st. The dealer just has to 'store' it for a couple of weeks - or he could deliver it on trailer/trade plates to your house where you keep it off-road until March 1st.

The biggest hassle with the dates moving is trying to sell the current car. My Chrysler is up for sale, but if the VRS arrives before I find a buyer I'm basically going to have to trade it in and unfortunately didn't think to 'fix' the trade-in I was offered before Christmas.

I assume then your car has arrived? The dealer can register it as an 11-plate from today. You can sort payment, sign credit agreement whatever. You just can't drive the car until March 1st. The dealer just has to 'store' it for a couple of weeks - or he could deliver it on trailer/trade plates to your house where you keep it off-road until March 1st.

The biggest hassle with the dates moving is trying to sell the current car. My Chrysler is up for sale, but if the VRS arrives before I find a buyer I'm basically going to have to trade it in and unfortunately didn't think to 'fix' the trade-in I was offered before Christmas.

Nope, dealer not 100% that the car was even in the UK but said it would definitely miss the 'deadline', I feel a bit conned, the dealer has a good name here but this is leaving a bad taste. I have emailed SUK with the options I have been given so will be keen to hear their response. I can't even quote my order number as I have never received any documentation, just paid my deposit...

Correct

You can fudge it a bit, something like A 160 XYZ can be respaced to A1 60 XYZ

Only if you want to give the police an excuse to stop you for having an illegal number plate.

The characters have to be 11mm apart and the groups 33mm apart

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/PersonalisedRegAndNumberPlates/DG_181503

Similar situation here, ordered petrol VRS late December, was built 6th Feb, last update was 11th Feb sat in Emden. Confirmed with the dealer via email that the car will be registered on a 11 plate - had no quibbles no arguments just a "of course" :).

Nope, dealer not 100% that the car was even in the UK but said it would definitely miss the 'deadline', I feel a bit conned, the dealer has a good name here but this is leaving a bad taste. I have emailed SUK with the options I have been given so will be keen to hear their response. I can't even quote my order number as I have never received any documentation, just paid my deposit...

Definitely seems the dealer is trying to push you for some reason.

If the car isn't at the dealer yet I can't see them getting it PDI'd etc before Friday at which point you are 10-days from March 1st. Even if they told you it will be ready Friday, you still wouldn't be able to get time to go there would you???

Definitely seems the dealer is trying to push you for some reason.

If the car isn't at the dealer yet I can't see them getting it PDI'd etc before Friday at which point you are 10-days from March 1st. Even if they told you it will be ready Friday, you still wouldn't be able to get time to go there would you???

Maybe trying to boost pre-March sales ? They were great when getting Maxidot added to my existing order but I am disappointed with this pressure.

I will let you know how I get on with SUK, cheers for your help.

AjH_vRS

I have two emails from SUK that both state that vehicles bought under the "VAT Free" offer must be registered within 2 weeks of arriving at the dealer

Direct quotes from these:

"...as part of the contractual guidelines supporting the VAT free campaign, all vehicles must be registered within 14 days upon arriving at the selling retailer."

and

"...I must confirm that we cannot make exceptions and that your vehicle will be registered within 14 days of delivery."

The second quote is a little bit more ambiguous on the term delivery but it seems to me that based on this and Robzer's/Voyager220v's experiences, there should be no reason why your car can't be registered on an 11 plate as the 2 week cut off point for being delivered to the dealer was the 15th of February.

My supplying dealer quoted the 15th of February as the date newly arriving cars can be assigned an 11 plate under the SUK registration policy.

Keep at them and good luck.

Does land people in a bit this sort of outcome - why can't they give accurate build information??! :wonder:

I think the lack in supply of diesel engines is causing the build weeks to be all over the place, so cars which were planned weeks ahead are suddenly built to keep the factory going. You get your petrols quicker whilst those waiting for diesels are forever having the build week put back.

Just got a reply from DVLA re. registering on an 11 plate wef 15 Feb:

"It is possible for an early application to be made to the DVLA Local office. However I advise you to discuss this with the dealer."

So as soon as my car arrives at the dealer I will request that they register it on an 11 plate and see how that goes.

I have also been on the phone to SUK with the question of registration and 14/10 day limits, I was told that it is 14 days from the car arriving in the UK but when asked about the 10 day dealer limit she put me on hold and on return said that this has been raised as a high priority with Skoda and all dealers are to be briefed over the next few days on how to deal with this... let's see what happens..?

Well if it helps I saw a VW on a proper 11-reg out on PDI drive on Monday; that was the 14th. So I presume this registration has already been fully registered with the DVLA, otherwise the VW couldn't guarantee which plate that particular car would go onto.

So it must be possible! Like everything though, it depends on how good, competent and willing your particular dealer is :thumbup:

Wardy, I might have a fight on my hands here, when asking for the car to be registered on the 1st March I was told that it would not 'count' under the T & C of the deal, as the registration date would not be within 10 days of delivery ! as far as I know 'registered within 10 days of delivery' means registered regardless of the reg. date they are just not being flexible/acommodating.

Hopless ! I am getting relly fed up and I don't even have a car yet...

I might think about altering the way you ask the question. What I think they can do is effectively 'pre-register' the car against an 11-plate, ready for use on March 1st. As I see it that would qualify you under the terms of the deal. Pre-register is the wrong term really; 'register ahead of time' would seem more accurate.

I go back to my VW analogy from this week - that car cannot be used by the 1st owner until March 1st, the date for which an 11-plate can legally be driven on the road. But it already has it's assigned 11 registration. That equates to me as the dealer doing their bit and 'registering' the car with the DVLA, as they now have a full and proper 11-registration to use with that car.

I might think about altering the way you ask the question. What I think they can do is effectively 'pre-register' the car against an 11-plate, ready for use on March 1st. As I see it that would qualify you under the terms of the deal. Pre-register is the wrong term really; 'register ahead of time' would seem more accurate.

I go back to my VW analogy from this week - that car cannot be used by the 1st owner until March 1st, the date for which an 11-plate can legally be driven on the road. But it already has it's assigned 11 registration. That equates to me as the dealer doing their bit and 'registering' the car with the DVLA, as they now have a full and proper 11-registration to use with that car.

DVLA issue dealers with a list of registration numbers a few weeks before the turn over date in order that they can be allocated to vehicles in time for collection on 1st March. They then have time to allocate numbers, have plates made up and fitted to the relevant cars so that there isn't a 'last minute rush' when customers are waiting to take delivery. The details are then communicated to the DVLA together with all the relevant details of the associated vehicle.

Incidentally, I ordered an L and K diesel on 4th October and is on build week 7 ( this week). So just right for the new registration.

Mac

Just an update, having read about others having problems with early deliveries and possibly missing out on an '11' plate, I have been patiently waiting to hear from my dealer.

My L&K was delivered at the dealership on 17/02/11, and fearful having been told by SUK when I rang them earler, that the car must be registered within 10 days, my dealer, Witham Skoda of Hersham, Surrey, have been fantastic. :thumbup:

No hassle, no quibbling, the car has today been registered on a 11 plate, and to top it off, the top man Geoff, the sales manager has arranged to have the car delivered to me on the afternoon of 28th Feb, and collect my current car that's been part ex'ed as the road tax would have run out if I decided to take a chance and drive 15 miles to collect the new car myself on the 1st March. :whew:

Still can't believe how quick its all taken, just over 10 weeks to arrive in UK :happy:

Wardy, I might have a fight on my hands here, when asking for the car to be registered on the 1st March I was told that it would not 'count' under the T & C of the deal, as the registration date would not be within 10 days of delivery ! as far as I know 'registered within 10 days of delivery' means registered regardless of the reg. date they are just not being flexible/acommodating.

Hopless ! I am getting relly fed up and I don't even have a car yet...

having same problem my fabia delivered on 17th to dunfermline and only built week 6, now hassle about registration and skoda uk wont respond to my e mails, but after finding out how many owners have been able to postpone delivery to get 11 plate i will definetly not take a 60 plate and am disgusted with skoda uk who wont even respond to the dealer, hopefully get it sorted on monday

having same problem my fabia delivered on 17th to dunfermline and only built week 6, now hassle about registration and skoda uk wont respond to my e mails, but after finding out how many owners have been able to postpone delivery to get 11 plate i will definetly not take a 60 plate and am disgusted with skoda uk who wont even respond to the dealer, hopefully get it sorted on monday

Just say to the dealer that SUK have aaked other dealers to be co operative & you are awaiting Skodas reply to your e-mail before going any further, then just sit back, If Skoda dont reply you cant do anything & wont be able to supply the dealer with your insurance details so he cant register the car yet. If pushed get the Insurance details effective from 1st March, drop it in & apologise for the Insurance companies error.

These Kin dealers ought to be grateful people are buying cars in these hard times !!!!

Don't tell me... Chathams ?? I think we may be the only customers on this forum now that ar still fighting for our 11 plates, ridiculous how different the customer service seem s to be I read good reports about chathams and have been badly let down so far, I am waiting for a decision on Monday too, no joy and an MD complaint will be on it's way.