Home Media Server

Royston

I have an old Evesham Desktop with wireless capability sitting gathering dust upstairs. I havent switched it on in over a year as the laptop and iPad seem to be more than adequate for what I need.

The desktop has a dual core intel processor and 4GB of RAM and currently has 32 bit Vista installed on it. I have 400GB and 500GB SATA drives in it and 2 x dvd writers.

I'd like to bring it back into use as a home media storage unit with streaming capabilities. My question is, do I install normal Windows 7, or try and make it into a server by installing Winodws server 2008?

What are the advantages of server software? Can I still use it as a normal PC with server software installed? I've even considered installing Ubuntu, but not sure I have the patience to get it working how I want.

Help!

Yep, think WHS is spot-on for what you're planning. I've been impressed with it over the couple of years I've run it. Easy setup, good config tools, flexible and decent remote access to boot. Built on the back of Windows Small Business Server. Was on Version 2003, but the latest version might use the 2008 back end.

Think they're starting on V3 of it at the moment. Sure I spotted a beta tester invite for it earlier in the week...

Yep, think WHS is spot-on for what you're planning. I've been impressed with it over the couple of years I've run it. Easy setup, good config tools, flexible and decent remote access to boot. Built on the back of Windows Small Business Server. Was on Version 2003, but the latest version might use the 2008 back end.

Think they're starting on V3 of it at the moment. Sure I spotted a beta tester invite for it earlier in the week...

Windows Home Server 2011 - should be out soon, which is based on Server 2008 R2/ Windows 7

Edited by softscoop

There are now also various linux distros that offer home server functionality..

http://www.amahi.org/ for example.

After careful consideration, I don't think my Geek powers are not strong enough to engage in the mysterious art of Linux wrestling. I am but a simple Geordie after all.

Again, I'm no Bill Gates, I know what I want from the software, but actually achieving it may be a lengthy process for the likes of me. Is WHS designed for simpletons?

Edited by Royston

It's designed to be straightforward, with the sort of tasks you've listed in mind. I won't insult your intelligence ;)

Have a roll round the MS website section for it and you'll get the picture. Also check out www.wegotserved.co.uk - plenty of screenshots available there and heaps of info (some of which you won't need at all, but gives an idea of how far you can go with it). Or just throw open a Google Image Search.

It's designed to be straightforward, with the sort of tasks you've listed in mind. I won't insult your intelligence ;)

Have a roll round the MS website section for it and you'll get the picture. Also check out www.wegotserved.co.uk - plenty of screenshots available there and heaps of info (some of which you won't need at all, but gives an idea of how far you can go with it). Or just throw open a Google Image Search.

Cheers dude, I'll do some swotting up on me days off. Already looks like something I could cope with. :D

Install is as simple as normal Windows. Then just setup your disks and shares, and install the connector software on any Windows clients. You can just enter the user details manually on anything Mac like :)

If you were nearer you could take a look at my setup emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Remote access, easy control of shares, automatic backup of Windows clients, better disc management. Those are some off the top of my head.

You could get a similar system running on the standard OS yes, especially if you've already got a license sitting there and you just want some basic shares running.

Been using WHS since it came out, excellent bit of software.

New version is out soon ish and there's been some uproar about MS removing the Drive Extender technology. Basically this made your server appear to have one big disk, a pool of storage instead of individual disks.

Not sure what they are replacing it with, some sort of Software Raid i'm assuming.

Apart from media streaming and client backup i've used mine as a FTP server, Web Server, Proxy Server so my dad could watch iPlayer from the USA and a Telephone System using 3CX.

You should be able to pick up an OEM version for about £70.00

I have the RC of the new Windows Home Server 2K11. There is no drive extender or even raid built into the standard OS, instead there is a new backup function and volume shadowing. Share management is simillar, except that you specify which drive to store the share on and its also possible to move entire shares between drives. There is also no duplication so the backup function will be very important. The new version is built using Server 2008 R2 64bit as its backend.

Useful info, cheers Manny. The lack of drive extender isn't a huge issue as far as I'm concerned. On my next build/refresh I was likely going to built the RAID array the old-fashioned way before starting with the WHS install anyway...

I was using WHS for around a year. Mainly for the drive extender. Since moved to windows 7 as wmp12 is great for streaming to other devices like xbox 360, ps3 etc. If drive extender is needed if raid isn't available you can us MS synctoy to duplicate the data to another drive.