Head Gasket

Make sure you use new bolts, as they are one shot stretch bolts. Check for cracks around valve seats.

Think that's about it really. Mechanically, the MPi is pretty straightforward so a half-decent mechanic shouldn't have any problems. I was in exactly the same position as the OP about 3 years ago with my old MPi.

Yep it's a relatively easy job - probably among the easiest head gasket changes possible. Also I believe the push rods are different metals if they are intake/exhaust. Push them through an old cereal box in order and number them so you know exactly where they go back in. Probably a good time to give the throttle body a good clean-up too, and if high miles (erm dunno, maybe 70k+?) a good opportunity to pre-emptively replace the map sensor - one member here reported improved MPG after replacing theirs, although theirs had gotten bad enough to cause running problems I think.

• 3 weeks later...

i didn't refer to my post as i was expecting to be notified via e-mail, the newly skimmed head went in a treat with new gaskets everywhere, we didn't use new bolts and all is hitherto ok, only been two days, is using the old bolts a serious no no?

Make sure you use new bolts, as they are one shot stretch bolts. Check for cracks around valve seats.

i didn't refer to my post as i was expecting to be notified via e-mail, the newly skimmed head went in a treat with new gaskets everywhere, we didn't use new bolts and all is hitherto ok, only been two days, is using the old bolts a serious no no?

Yes, they are one use stretch bolts, could be a VERY expensive mistake.

Your mechanic friend needs to stop moonlighting and get back to college!

Stretch bolts are fitted to every mass production engine made since the 1980's and they always need replacing since it is not possible to achieve the correct angular torque setting any other way. This is because the head bolts are tightened all at once by a special machine somewhere along the automated production line when the engine is first assembled.

They're usually only a couple of quid each, I don't understand why you didn't get a set when you got the gaskets.

Your mechanic friend needs to stop moonlighting and get back to college!

Stretch bolts are fitted to every mass production engine made since the 1980's and they always need replacing since it is not possible to achieve the correct angular torque setting any other way. This is because the head bolts are tightened all at once by a special machine somewhere along the automated production line when the engine is first assembled.

They're usually only a couple of quid each, I don't understand why you didn't get a set when you got the gaskets.

the head set came with just gaskets and some rivet thingys which he said we wouldn't need but no bolts, i am now a little concerned, thanks for the heads up, he's gonna reset the taps??? again in a month i'll mention the stretch bolts then

he's gonna reset the taps??? again in a month i'll mention the stretch bolts then

Tappets need no adjustment if only the head is replaced.