Windows 7

Lady Elanore

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with Windows 7, unless you have a pirate copy?? :rofl:

Nothing ruddy pirate about my copy. Pile of poo! Nothing bloody works with the 64 bit version and Outlook 2010 is a joke compared to 2003 Pro. Was up till 06:00 this morning trying to get my Outlook calendar to sync with my Google calendar!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR99999999999999999

Please clarify your problem :yes:

Where do I begin? I have 2 IE s because 64 bit doesn’t do flash!! Outlook 2010 is a mess compared to the simplicity of 2003 Pro and can’t get a desktop widget for my taskbar and programmes that do run on Windows 7 behave oddly. CS3 won’t let me install if I have the text magnification option selected because it thinks my 1080 screen has got enough resolution. I revert back to standard text dpi and then I can’t read the sodding thing, although the programme will now install. The handy IE spell check can't be pinned it seems

The list is endless

Nothing ruddy pirate about my copy. Pile of poo! Nothing bloody works with the 64 bit version and Outlook 2010 is a joke compared to 2003 Pro. Was up till 06:00 this morning trying to get my Outlook calendar to sync with my Google calendar!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR99999999999999999

ARRGHHHH and GRRRRR sounds pretty piratey to me :giggle:

Sounds like something is not right with your setup then, as the only problem I've had with x64 is an ancient printer not having a driver - and I've rolled it out to well over 20 machines now.

Sounds like something is not right with your setup then, as the only problem I've had with x64 is an ancient printer not having a driver - and I've rolled it out to well over 20 machines now.

7-x64 has also been fine for me... must be you...

Frustrated%20Woman%20computer.jpg

Where do I begin? I have 2 IE s because 64 bit doesn’t do flash!! Outlook 2010 is a mess compared to the simplicity of 2003 Pro and can’t get a desktop widget for my taskbar and programmes that do run on Windows 7 behave oddly. CS3 won’t let me install if I have the text magnification option selected because it thinks my 1080 screen has got enough resolution. I revert back to standard text dpi and then I can’t read the sodding thing, although the programme will now install. The handy IE spell check can't be pinned it seems

The list is endless

64 bit IE does do flash, I only use the 64 bit IE and everything works fine. You just need to know where to find the download on adobes website.

I have yet to find anything that does not work on 64 bit, and I have been using W7 64bit since it was released.

Office 2010 is indeed very different to 2003, but there are websites to guide you through the settings differences. We use 2010 at work, and TBH once you get used to it its loads better.

brand new lappy, brand new Windows and brand new Outlook.

I have altered some stuff in the registry following a prompt off the interweb (my pooter claimed I was trying to kill the WWW). I was told a little file had a thingie called 9.3 and I should type DoNotUse in front of it. My thingie didn't have a 9.3, but it did have a 9.2 and a 9.4. I put 'donotuse' in front of the 9.4 as I guessed it was the newer 2010 and that seems to have made the whole thing stable and working again. I would definitely recommend not getting the full 2010 version though, it is very messy looking. I much prefer the bricks and mortar approach of 2003 Pro :)

Ermmmm ......

None of what you've said in windows 7 fault ? It's the apps that your running ???

I am not saying 7 doesn’t do what it’s makers intended. They just intended to make my life hell :(

64 bit IE does do flash, I only use the 64 bit IE and everything works fine. You just need to know where to find the download on adobes website.

I have yet to find anything that does not work on 64 bit, and I have been using W7 64bit since it was released.

Office 2010 is indeed very different to 2003, but there are websites to guide you through the settings differences. We use 2010 at work, and TBH once you get used to it its loads better.

I think things like 64 bit flash should be preinstalled or appear at the first major download. I have spent hours chasing up downloads to get things running smoothly. I have to say Vista worked straight out of the tin for me and I never thought I would be singing it’s praises.

If you have a link to a safe 64 bit flash update I would be grateful :)

For the calendar sync, can't you actually blame Google, who produce the calendar sync software? After all, the SDK for Office 2010 64 bit has been out since mid 2008, and 2.5 years later they have not got THEIR utility to sync with it.

That said I use the 32bit version of Office 2010 just because Google have not caught up and have not found any difference with performance.

Flash .... ahaaaaaa

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10_square.html

scroll down for 64bit, but once again is that not Adobe dragging their heels on the 64 bit front :) You could have OSX and it's superb implementation of Flash :D :D

Ooooh it takes a bit of finding, but I have just installed the 'preview' version of the 64 bit flash player. I assume it is a moderately recent addition if it is still called 'preview' and is a bit of a fiddle to find.

I use Win7 64bit all day long and have done since its launch. I have 3 different systems here running it and have only ever seen one piece of software that I couldn't get running.

M$ provide a compatability checking tool for both soft and hardware so it is easy enough to check your system is capable of working for you with Win7.

I had assumed, incorrectly, that as W7 has been about for quite a while now, everyone who is anyone, would have caught up. But that doesn't seem to be the case. The Outlook syncing is very important to me and the Geek in PC World reckoned it would sync fine. I should have known better than to trust him but there you go and everyone is wise after the event, aren't they. After the length of time 7 has been out, should I really be expected to have to dig around for a 'preview' bit of software to allow flash to run on 64bit? I have always had a good relationship with Windows, but this latest round of incompatibility and fiddling with an OS I felt I could happily use, makes me wonder if next time I might journey over to the dark side. As I said earlier, I believe W7 is doing what its makers intended, but sadly that is to cause me grief. Of course I will eventually get it to do what I want/need, but it is not a pelasant experience, unlike like the move to XP and Vista was for me.

Edited by Lady Elanore

Lappy came out of sleep and within 10 mins gave me my first Blue Screen of Death. Well, a small blue square to be accurate.

Going well so far......... :(

Edited by Lady Elanore

I don't have any issues with the regular 32bit version of flash 10.1 on my 64bit Windows 7 Alienware M15X, I don't understand what the problem is. My Alienware runs an OCZ VertexII SSD, dual boots between a physical Windows 7 64bit SP1 install and a Mounted Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 VHD, and I have genuinely not had a single lock up or bluescreen. It's easily as stable as my old MBP running Snow Leopard and much much faster.

In fact I am browsing brisky on at the moment, using Win 7, whilst running 2 W2K8 R2 VM's, one a domain controller and the other an SCCM 2007 R3 machine testing out some WMI queries I have written for a client.

If it's a PC World special, I would be inclined to take it back as if 7 is giving you that much trouble I would suggest it's a dodgy bit of hardware :)

The blue screen came about when I opened Media Player. I am using the 32 bit version of IE for now, as I will await the 200th update to come along and see if there are any more fixes etc (shouldn't be too long before my 200th update I reckon).

The lappy is an HP Envy, with a quickish chip (720 QM) 1GB of Vid and 4GB of RAM so i wouldn't expect any trouble from that side of things.

Edited by Lady Elanore

As above never had any problems and the only time my machine has ever crashed was while overclocking.

I use 64bit home premium and the only incompatible thing I had was an ancient logitec webcam.

I use the 32bit ie as never really seen the advantage of using the 64bit one.

Just be thankful its moved on a lot since xp pro 64bit. God that was awful!

I also use home premium 32bit on my netbooky thing and that's as solid as a rock too.

Must be a woman thing...*holds tongue tightly into cheek!*

Phil

The service pack for Win7 is being publicly released on the 22nd Feb. SP1 is a 1.9GB download that will be sent out via windows update, just think of all those users who will go over there download limit and not realise it.

If you have a select or enterprise agreement, the SP is already available to download from MS after you login to your agreement. You can also download ISO install media of Win7 and Server 2008 R2 with the SP integrated into the install media.

Already using and deploying the SP at work, and no problem with this either.

Issues with Win7 usually revolve around using old outdated drivers, especially crashing and simply updating these direct from the hardware vendor solves most issues. For graphics cards go to the chipset vendor, eg. ATI or Nvidia rather than the card maker (eg. PNY) as the ATI/NVidia drivers are usually much newer.

But I downloaded the service pack and it wasn't 1.9gb. I'm sure it was like 500mb or something.

And besides the download is usually a lot smaller when delivered through windows update.

Phil