Two Way Radio power connection

Hi could anyone tell me where to connect up the power for my 2metre ham radio in the octavia, I know taxis use 2 way radios and wondered if there was a spare connection for this purpose...

Many Thanks

John Payne

John,

I have taken the power for my dual band radio direct from the battery - this is best practice.

It's easy to route through a big grommet which is on n/side, just below the glovebox and comes out below/behind the battery.

The +ve should be connected via a fuse to the buzz bar rail adjecent to the battery +ve terminal.

The -ve feed should not be fused and should be taken from a chassis point adjacent to the battery earth strap. There is a convenient tag with an empty hole that suits this purpose - I removed the paint and used a nut and bolt to make a good earth connection and then covered this with petroleum jelly (vaseline)to avoid corrosion.

For guidance on your radio install, please feel free to download our installation document FCS1362:2010 which gives guidance on best practice for vehicle installation.

http://www.fcs.org.uk/FITAS/FCS1362_FITAS.aspx

Hope that helps.

John.(G8SYD)

Edited by JayTee

Hi could anyone tell me where to connect up the power for my 2metre ham radio in the octavia, I know taxis use 2 way radios and wondered if there was a spare connection for this purpose...

Many Thanks

John Payne

As John as said go direct to the battery, as nowadays there is can-bus wiring in cars you don't want to connect to this, and make sure you use decent size cable, as long as the run is not too long, a minimum of 2.5mm (unless you are running less than 5Watts)

Radiotwo

As John as said go direct to the battery, as nowadays there is can-bus wiring in cars you don't want to connect to this, and make sure you use decent size cable, as long as the run is not too long, a minimum of 2.5mm (unless you are running less than 5Watts)

Radiotwo

A thread like this gets all the radio boys out!! :D

25amps on tx - that's some power!

Having said that, in my early days, I used to run a 160 watt 2m linear - that made a quick job of flattening the battery when stuck on tx. :giggle:

John.

Edited by JayTee

John,

I have taken the power for my dual band radio direct from the battery - this is best practice.

It's easy to route through a big grommet which is on n/side, just below the glovebox and comes out below/behind the battery.

The +ve should be connected via a fuse to the buzz bar rail adjecent to the battery +ve terminal.

The -ve feed should not be fused and should be taken from a chassis point adjacent to the battery earth strap. There is a convenient tag with an empty hole that suits this purpose - I removed the paint and used a nut and bolt to make a good earth connection and then covered this with petroleum jelly (vaseline)to avoid corrosion.

For guidance on your radio install, please feel free to download our installation document FCS1362:2010 which gives guidance on best practice for vehicle installation.

http://www.fcs.org.uk/FITAS/FCS1362_FITAS.aspx

Hope that helps.

John.(G8SYD)

Thank you all so much, its really kind of you, I love the Octavia, its the best company car I have had, and in the recent bad weather really performed well, I will be puting in a old ICOM207H dual band radio, so all the info received will help me.. many thanks again John de G6CNF

Radiotwo

Many Thanks for the info

• 1 year later...

John,

http://www.fcs.org.u...1362_FITAS.aspx

Hope that helps.

John.(G8SYD)

Thanks John I have a new Ocatvia SE Connect coming next week this is usefull info , have a 2820 waiting to go in, Joel G0URK

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the car yesterday, just had a quick look at the grommit under the glovebox, looks a bit tight to feed a cable through anybody got any tips on how to get a cable through?

Picked up the car yesterday, just had a quick look at the grommit under the glovebox, looks a bit tight to feed a cable through anybody got any tips on how to get a cable through?

Once you come at it from the engine side, (battery and air box removed) you will see there are pre formed "nipples" on the grommet intended for new wiring. Cut the end off one nipple to open it up for your new wiring.

To get a cable through I passed some stiff garden strimmer plastic cord/wire through with my new wire attached with duct tape. Pull it through as required.

HTH

I have an 8GA and 2 Coax cables running through that exact grommet.

If you have a metal kitchen skewer, you can use electrical tape to attach any and all wire you want to run through the firewall to the skewer, and then poke a hole through the grommet.

Because (at least I assume) the bundle of wire will be thicker than the skewer, the joining will again be watertight... I know mine is!!

Works fantastically.

any pics of the radios installed? looking for ideas on where to mount...

I hope to have another look tomorrow but weather predicited to be freezing,hope to get the wire through from the cabin to the engine bay (with wire coat hanger or similar) rather than removing loads of stuff like the battery etc. The 2820 remote head rests nicely on top of the recess made from the opening of the cubby hole just in front of the gearbox. The recess is slightly bigger so some velcro or similar will be required to stop it from knocking from side to side when going round corners etc......The aerial I have is a Diamond AZ-507RSP, I found that the trunk is just over 1m high and this antenna is 75cm long, the mount is a Diamond K-413 which adds a few cms, all in all though this will keep it below the average 2m height restrictions most car parks have

Another point check this type of thing out it clips to the passenger seat bolt, can be modified to hold a radio head no drilling required useful for modern dashboards with little space:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arkon-Seat-Bolt-Mount-for-Mio-Moov-200-Navman-S30-3D-/321007063012?pt=UK_Holders_Mounts&hash=item4abd830fe4