cambelt replacement

hi trying to find more information on new cambelt replacement intervals, just had major service for octavia vrs by skoda dealer @53k miles and been told the camebelt needs replacing now, yet the service book says 1800000kms, is this update because the belts break or as the sales manager surgested

a way of getting in revenue ?

I have a 2005 Fabia VRS which has a fixed service 10,000miles / 12 months period.

However even Skoda can't agree amongst themselves when the Cambelt + other bits was exactly due.

Ranged from 4 - 5 years or 50 - 60, 0000 miles.

I actually had my car done at 5 years old with about 44,535 miles, as a balance of age and miles covered.

If your a high mileage driver then 4 years would be my bench mark, whereas like me go to 5 years.

You will get a lot of opinions from valued members.

Good Luck.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I have Octavia MK2 1.9 TDI , skoda's answer was 95000 miles or 4 years whichever is ealier so getting it done @indie for 290 incl water pump!!!

I have a 2.0 FSi. Found out that the timing belt cover has an inspection window for you to look at the belt. Have a look to see what your timing belt looks like for a start. My service book also says 180,000km as timing belt change. But I bet the water pump will go before that !

From my research, it appears that there was a class action suit in the US against VW/Audi USA for timing belts prematurely failing on the 1.8 turbo FSi used on the Audi TTs and Sciroccos. As part of an out of court settlement, VW/Audi USA had to revise the timing belt change to 60,000 miles (or km, not clear) and added a 4 year life. From what I read (google it), it is supposed to only affect certain VWs and Audi's whose final assembly were in a certain location, ie cars meant for the US market only.

How this 60,000 miles/km or 4 year requirement has affected the VAG cars outside of USA, I do not understand.

sent a few e-mails and a number of calls and have now a satisfactory answer to the above question which is, that it`s all based on your chassis number as to when the cambelt should be replaced, to answer my own question, for a octavia vrs 2.0 tfsi the cambelt should be changed at 180000km(120000mls) or 6 years which ever comes first, this information came from skoda uk and my advice if you have any problems deciding when you should replace yours get in touch with them, they were very helpfull.

sent a few e-mails and a number of calls and have now a satisfactory answer to the above question which is, that it`s all based on your chassis number as to when the cambelt should be replaced, to answer my own question, for a octavia vrs 2.0 tfsi the cambelt should be changed at 180000km(120000mls) or 6 years which ever comes first, this information came from skoda uk and my advice if you have any problems deciding when you should replace yours get in touch with them, they were very helpfull.

What age is your car? the 6 year interval is good news as mine is a 2008 with only 17k on it at the moment & it seems madness to replace the timing belt in 2 years time when the car wont have done 50k.

What age is your car? the 6 year interval is good news as mine is a 2008 with only 17k on it at the moment & it seems madness to replace the timing belt in 2 years time when the car wont have done 50k.

The cars on 56 plate but as i said it`s chassis no. specific, so if in any doubt get in touch with Skoda uk, hope this helps

I had the belt on my 56 plate Octy vRS changed at 60,000 miles.

Did it need doing?

Who knows

But it was outside of warranty and the cost of the change was obviously a lot less than the damage a snapped belt would cause.

I'm sure the dealership want you to change them as often as possible - it's a nice little earner.

Just depends on how brave you're feeling I guess.

Well mine was replaced at 4yrs with 60k on the clock (PD140).

I asked an independent whether to use the "guidelines" or the old school 60k, so mine will be getting changed again

at 120k in the next few months.... I'd rather shell out £300 rather than taking risks !