Tyre Wear!

Hi, I've had my Superb Estate 170 DSG Elegance for 5 months, and have done 7500 miles.

I checked the front tyres this evening out of interest and they are already down to the wear indicators on both front tyres... I couldn't believe my eyes. I drive no differently than in my old Honda Civic (in fact I used the thrash the nuts off that) and I used to do 13000 miles before a tyre change..

The wear looks as if it is more in the middle of the tyre.. so maybe the dealership over inflated the fronts (I have not touched them since I bought it).

Anyone else have any experiences of excessive tyre wear?

Your thoughts are appreciated..

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

erm.. so you haven't checked your tyre pressure in 5 months :-(

Nope.. I just get in and drive. Maybe i'm the problem.. not the car!!

I know you don't want to hear this But unfortunately it's your responsibility to check tyre pressures.

Sorry i'm not trying to be a smart arse but I wouldn't try accusing the dealers of overinflating your tyres 5 months ago. They would laugh at you....

Sorry again...

I know you don't want to hear this But unfortunately it's your responsibility to check tyre pressures.

Sorry i'm not trying to be a smart arse but I wouldn't try accusing the dealers of overinflating your tyres 5 months ago. They would laugh at you....

Sorry again...

haha yeah.. don't worry I won't be going back to the dealers, just seemed odd that there has been so much wear. I've never had an issue with any other car, so I just assumed everything with be the same with this one.

Looks like my laziness has cost me £300.. ho hum.

Is this your first oil burner? All that weight over the front end tends to advance tyre wear.

Hi.. yes it is. Great car though!!

Hi,

so far I've no problems to report but only done 1500 miles.

However, I remember reading about a month ago a thread on tyre wear & it seems quite a few people were experiencing requiring new rubber after about 10,000 miles. I personally think this is excessive. Although it depends on various factors but as a rule I would say that I've always got about 25k to 35k out of any tyres I've ever had, be it a Cavalier (50k), Astra 1.6 16v (40k)& 2.0 16v (25k),Peugeot 106 1.6 (35k), Vectra Est 1.9TDI 150bhp (35k), Golfs (~30k).

The figure in brackets being the the approximate milage for the front tyres, the rear tyres I find normally last almost twice a long. I would consider myself quite a keen driver but I have a pet hate... seeing people turn the steering wheel when stationary, a sure fire way to leave your rubber behind.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/190325-tyres-again-advice-or-comments/

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/184551-tyre-life/

In (one of) these threads, what I thought was unusual was that all 4 tryes were wearing out at about the same rate & quite a few had mentioned that the tracking needed realigning.

I imagine careful driving will be required to exceed 15k miles.

But I think this is shocking! & woudl be happy to hear if anyone gets over 20k from a set & what they are...

Good luck & lets hope it doesn't get too expensive.

Stef

Hi,

so far I've no problems to report but only done 1500 miles.

However, I remember reading about a month ago a thread on tyre wear & it seems quite a few people were experiencing requiring new rubber after about 10,000 miles. I personally think this is excessive. Although it depends on various factors but as a rule I would say that I've always got about 25k to 35k out of any tyres I've ever had, be it a Cavalier (50k), Astra 1.6 16v (40k)& 2.0 16v (25k),Peugeot 106 1.6 (35k), Vectra Est 1.9TDI 150bhp (35k), Golfs (~30k).

The figure in brackets being the the approximate milage for the front tyres, the rear tyres I find normally last almost twice a long. I would consider myself quite a keen driver but I have a pet hate... seeing people turn the steering wheel when stationary, a sure fire way to leave your rubber behind.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/190325-tyres-again-advice-or-comments/

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/184551-tyre-life/

In (one of) these threads, what I thought was unusual was that all 4 tryes were wearing out at about the same rate & quite a few had mentioned that the tracking needed realigning.

I imagine careful driving will be required to exceed 15k miles.

But I think this is shocking! & woudl be happy to hear if anyone gets over 20k from a set & what they are...

Good luck & lets hope it doesn't get too expensive.

Stef

Thanks for the info. Called in at a friends tyre shop today and he said it was excessive, but pointed out that the diesel will always wear more due to the weight at the front and I should expect 10000 miles ideally. Also the crap roads around me do not help.. most running on rough B roads in poor repair. New tyres going on tomorrow. £135 each.

From new I got around 9k from my first pair of fronts, pressure checked regularly and no 'flash' driving. Have done a lot of short journeys on poor roads though, penny-pinching leasing company didn't consider this excessive so not worried.

haha yeah.. don't worry I won't be going back to the dealers, just seemed odd that there has been so much wear. I've never had an issue with any other car, so I just assumed everything with be the same with this one.

Looks like my laziness has cost me £300.. ho hum.

No! My tyre wear was exactly the same on my manual 170CR estate - same tyre too and I checked my pressures every week!

I got 18K out of the first set on the front, replacements have now done 12K and have loads of life left yet. Rear tyres are still original ones and at nearly 31K will need replacing soon. I had a professional 4WA done just after I got my car and it was miles out, and I am sure this has helped with improving the tyre wear dramatically. My car is a PD140 DSG, so I must be luckier than most.

50,000 miles from a set of tyres? Bloody hell - are you sure you drove it, not just put it on a rolling road!

B) Yep seriously.... it was my first car - I bought it of my dad for £1k, half the going rate about 20 years ago. It was the last of the very popular boxy looking Cavalier 1.6L 5spd manual (95bhp)(F reg), an 8 valve single cam motor with a dizzy... no injector for me :'( & I would say 2 very important factors:

1. No power steering! So no scrubbing tyres when stood still or trying to park. I think everyone should learn to drive in a car without all the mod cons to learn the true basics & I'm sure it would help some people.

2. my dad was good enough to put Michelin Energy savers on, even back then & you may not believe this but I did at least 50k miles & sold the car knowing the tyres would do a lot longer - there was still about 4mm left on all the tyres (I swapped the wheels front to back to get even wear - I'd say it was pretty well looked after). Sold it with about 110k on the clock & I reckon it would have lasted another 10 years.... but I wanted something quicker ;)

I find it utterly gobsmacking & very excessive that a modern car - I guess even when driven very nicely/smoothly will probably struggle to do 15k miles on a set of tyres. Even with significantly more power than my Cavalier & the extra weight... its no excuse!

I last had a Vectra Est 1.9TDI with 150bhp & if anything I reckon its a heavier car (well it felt it) and I got over 30k miles from every set of front tyres & although not a sporty car, it shifted.

It used to get its annual trip to Germany/Austria to stretch its legs on the Autobahn & even with 4 (2 kids in the back) in the car, full loaded for a camping trip (incl. tent, fridge... etc) & with a roof box it still managed to just about creep to just over 130mph but was happy cruising at 115-120mph when possible. How about 610 miles in 7hrs 15mins (stops deducted) = avg speed 84mph with an avg consumption of 43mpg. It was my first diesel & I'll never look back!

If you're still reading, sorry for the waffle :giggle: It twas a :thumbup: motor! But the Superb feels even better :thumbup::thumbup: (shame about the tyres potentially).

Regards

Stef

I got 18K out of the first set on the front, replacements have now done 12K and have loads of life left yet. Rear tyres are still original ones and at nearly 31K will need replacing soon. I had a professional 4WA done just after I got my car and it was miles out, and I am sure this has helped with improving the tyre wear dramatically. My car is a PD140 DSG, so I must be luckier than most.

Its sounding better / more like it so here's hoping. I assume they are Conti's? Maybe being a 140bhp it might be a bit kinder to the rubber. I might get them aligned too as I feel there's a slight vibration coming from the OS (drivers side) front which I notice on quicker roads (+50mph) when there's a slight curve to the left... but nothing when turning slightly to the right. Anyone else notice this? It sort of feels like its got chunkier tread on that side but I cant see any signs of uneven wear.

Regards

Stef

i used to get around 45k from my michillins on my 2nd honda crv last one would only do 20k on contis

currently have just under 10k on clock in 9 weeks and would say that they were around half way so may swap em front to back when i get a mo

if you tootly around town you will not get good milage from tyres if you spend half your life on the motorway like me then you get a lot longer

i run mine at 36psi incedently

andy

No! My tyre wear was exactly the same on my manual 170CR estate - same tyre too and I checked my pressures every week!

Glad you had the same problem as me.. haha.. well not glad...!!

I'm gettin Conti Contact 3 this time, hopefully they will be better - they are the newer version of the contact 2.

I usually swap fron to rear so as to wear all 4 out at the same time. Doing this I got 12k from a 170 dsg estate on Contis. This was only slightly worse than from my A4 Avant. Reading through here this seems about normal.

Rubber's probably softer these days, plus the tyres can't really cope with all that power and torque through the front wheels - hence all the modern electronics to rein it in until you're cruising.

I say softer rubber, as compounds must have developed to give better grip, performance and cornering, but now need to improve on longevity.

Just had my tyres changed... Now my tyre pressure warning light has come on.

Any idea how I can reset it.. It keeps telling me to check my tyres, but there is nothing wrong with them!

its in the manual, I believe you press and hold the TPM button for a short period and it causes the function to reset itself based on the new tyres.