Waiting time for coil pack is......

Paul_T

Been a while for my first post but here it is......

Driving to work this morning and it's running on three cylinders with the engine management light merrily flashing at me.

What a suprise when the dealer confirmed that it's the coil pack. Here's the bad news, the next lot of coil packs he might get come into the country on the 17th of this month.

So it's hire car time and the options are Peugeot 106 or 307, might be a problem since I'm 6ft 6ins tall, service manager promised to haggle hard for a 406.....oooh I can't wait!?

Two other 1.8t's in the customer parking area waiting for the 17th

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waiting time for a new coil pack? Hmmm, how long will it take me to walk round to the boot of the car and get a spare out? :D

Paul, if you really, really need one, let me know - I have 2 spares in the boot. If your dealer will reimburse you I'll sell you one, at the retail price (about

• 2 weeks later...

....waiting time is now looking like mid to late January!

Still, got to look on the bright side of things I'm now doing 50+mpg and saving for the two new front tyres I need for the vRS......what prices have you all been paying for them? (Conti Eco Contacts)

Here's a very recent relevant thread from UK MKIVs -

http://193.109.68.9/ukmkivs/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5608

With a bit of luck the worldwide coil pack problems affecting much if not most of the VAG petrol engined car model range should force VW to do something major - like recall cars for the fitting of modified and reliable coil packs.

I had no idea that this problem was so big! Good job the whole planet isnt reliant on 1.8T engines or society as we know it would be grinding to a halt!! Incidentally i didnt know that other engines bar the 1.8T use coilpacks too....i may have to keep an eye on some other sites as well as Briskoda now....what does this mean for the 'spare' coipack thats on order for my car????

Grrrrrrrrr, second Coil pack gave up on Saturday :evil: :evil: :evil:

Luckily we'd just got back from Cornwall the night before! The garage had one Coil Pack left and they have loads on back order, the talk is of over 5000 across the VAG on back order which is a disgrace IMHO. After a little bit of a kick off I'm getting the other two changed when they get the next delivery, it's a pretty poor situation though! Why don't they do a recall, it's really annoying the **** out of me :x

Not so happy

Matty

Grrrrrrrrr, second Coil pack gave up on Saturday :evil: :evil: :evil:

Luckily we'd just got back from Cornwall the night before! The garage had one Coil Pack left and they have loads on back order, the talk is of over 5000 across the VAG on back order which is a disgrace IMHO. After a little bit of a kick off I'm getting the other two changed when they get the next delivery, it's a pretty poor situation though! Why don't they do a recall, it's really annoying the **** out of me :x

Not so happy

Matty[/quote:636c4c05a0]

When I asked the same question , my local garage simply replied - Skoda - and indeed any other company - will only sanction a recall if it is safety related - and they do not feel that a coil problem is such .... I would if my wife had to drive around a lot at night time in the car .

DGW. Matey they were both of the H variety and now replaced by the J type. What difference, I don't know but I had a look at the Coil Pack that had failed and it had nearly snapped in halve :shock:

jawsnpaws. I know what your saying about a recall as it's not a safety issue but I did say to the garage that I don't want a car that I know will fail! In fairness the dealership were cool and will get it sorted....... O/T, they even sorted some new tyres for

Grrrrrrrrr, second Coil pack gave up on Saturday :evil: :evil: :evil: Why don't they do a recall, it's really annoying the **** out of me :x [/quote:1ea1f2746e]

Let`s assume they will do a recall, Where are all the new coils???

Will we have thousands of 18Ts laying idol around the country :shock: :cry: :evil:

Let`s assume they do a recall in alphabetical order and your name is

Mr. Zebra, low and behold your coil goes you`ll never get a replacement.

Ahhhhh......I`m winding my self up now, time to go for a walk. :rant:

The problem is certainly very concerning, I am sure that all over the UK dealers of all VAG cars must have brand new 1.8T's lying around that have been rendered useless by them having to borrow parts to keep other owners happy. I read somewhere that an audi dealer had a brand new TT in the showroom that had no coilpacks left at all. My local skoda dealer is also in the same boat.

Strangely enough, I had a call from Chris at Roadworthy on Saturday (he sold me some coils in October/November) to ask if I had any left. He's got a customer who has had there car off the road for 4 weeks awaiting a coil pack so could I let him have one. I think the car is with Irvine is Bridgwater, but they can't get hold of any either. They were initially told mid December as a date, which got moved to mid January. They were told last Friday that delivery date for coils is now end of Feb!! :twisted:

He mentioned that dealers are starting to get unhappy about this, one dealer, think it was in Colchester, had made the mistake of taking one from a car in the shrowroom. That car now has no coils left and is, as such, unsaleable.

Someone posted a while back with the part numbers from German and Swedish for their coil packs. Could you repost the part numbers? What I'll do is buy one and whack it in my car and see how it goes (well it was only

Jon

Same thing has happened at my dealers they have a 02 spec vRS in the show room and all the coil packs have been robbed off it.

I was in there on Monday ( my car is having the wiring checked from the Lambda sensors to the ECU) as there is a intermittent fault.

Whilst I was there they were pushing the car around the showroom :P

I told them to keep there hands off the spare one i have in my boot :shock:

Let me know how you get on with German & swedish part

Jon

The thread is here:

http://www.briskoda.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=124&highlight=

I sucked my teeth at the part number - E instead of J - and decided not to buy. By the time VAT and PP are added, the price is too close to the J version to make it worth taking a chance. Or at least it was then.

possibly [i:c7712c0f97]very[/i:c7712c0f97] unwelcome news.....

my best friend runs a tt and has previously had 2 coils go. driving from the south east over the hols, on the m25, guess what? third one to go in 6 months.

the worrying news is that his audi guy has told him that the replacement coils are failing as well. may just be one of those pieces of news that hasn't been reported right, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it turns out to be true :(