Waiting time for coil pack is......

Paul_T

Jon

Further to my earlier post about the E version of the coil pack, I have just found this info on SEATCupra.net:

"E" prefix coils were fitted to other 1.8t engines and look totally different and bolt down to the head instead of being a push fit.(don't panic the head alredy has the relevent threaded holes for the bolts already in it.)

As far as i am aware these coils did not suffer the failure problem and the big advantage is that they are available.

Be aware they can only be fitted in cylinders 1 and 2 as because they are bigger they may not fit under the pipework around cyls 3 and 4 but you could swop the good coils around to make your car a runner.

I fitted one to a Beetle 1.8t today and it ran like a dream.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the L&K has wood-capped coil packs, and from what I've read on MKIVs, the vRS has chrome plated ones which Golf owners want for their cars. Or am I getting confused at being 400 today??? :?

To be serious for once, it appears that earlier bolt-on versions of the coil pack, eg the 'E' version, were OK. The push fit 'H' version which is fitted to recent - but not the latest 1.8Ts - seems to be the one failing the most. I'm still unsure as to how reliable the 'J' version is. That is the latest version as fitted to my 2002 4x4 and, where available, as a replacement for faulty coil packs.

It's an slxi turbo.. dmac had one before his RS. No wood (or wood substitute) thankfully. Very nice inside - nearly all with black leather, although mine is burgundy and I think there are some floating about with petrol green interior (sounds foul!) - crappy little 15" wheels though!

It does not look too bad in the brochure, I may have even specified it if I bought new and didn't have kids.

Thankfully I didn't buy new, and I do have kids, and it was black with more black (and plastic wood :roll: ), thankyouverymuch!

"No trees were harmed in the making of this dashboard"

(in fact, no trees were in the vicinity when this dashboard was manufactured!)

• 2 weeks later...

Received this contradictory e-mail from Skoda Customer Service in response to my statement to them that I had lost all confidence in my car given the rate at which coilpack failures are being reported

"Thank you for your email regarding coilpacks. Skoda UK are dispatching

coilpacks to those customers who are off road and whose orders were placed first.

I would like to advise that the factory have not identified an inherent

fault with the ignition coils.

Let me apologise for any inconvenience caused to yourself and assure you

that this situation is not commonplace. We are working to recitfy this

shortage as quickly as possible.

Should you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me. I shall be happy to assist you."

Paragraph 1 clearly acknowledges that there is a problem, with customers being off road. Paragraph 2 tries to deny there is a problem.

Doesn't sound like a recall is imminent

Sorry but you seem to be missing the point here. I know I can source coilpacks from somewhere else in the world but the fact is that I shouldn't have to as this a problem that should be cured under warranty.

Clearly there is a problem with these coilpacks given the number of posts on various web sites by people who have had them fail. I have paid

Even though the Skoda dealer my RS is being sourced from was obviously in denial about the coil pack problem ('We've had one or two, but not really a problem') today I asked at my local VW dealer if they had many problems. 'I probably shouldn't say but we've got half a dozen cars in just waiting for the parts. We just can't get hold of them.'

This is the only thing worrying me about my new purchase.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/026/auto/No_easy_fix_for_failing_ignition_coils_in_Audis_VWs+.shtml It doesn't appear to be getting any better , take a look at this .[/quote:dcd91ec143]

mellowyellow,

Interesting read, over on the TT Forum one of the guys has been contacted by watchdog re faulty coilpacks, and I believe the responces from another 40 such failures. Again its an interesting read the guys letter to Audi in one of the posts sums things up well.

http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/YaBB.pl?board=WebTTForum;action=display;num=1042853153

westy04 has also posted about Skoda failures on page 3

I spoke to Audi about this again this morning. Seems that the coils are affected by cold and damp after about 10 months or 10,000 miles. Only affects early 2001 to week 41 of 2002 production. VAG has now geared up to supply coils for all affected engines by mid February 2003. In the meantime, UK Audi owners get a new Audi loan car.

This is a quote from Honest John over on his forum .

John ,

Couldn't access the TT Forum , but will try again later and have a read .

I spoke to Audi about this again this morning. Seems that the coils are affected by cold and damp after about 10 months or 10,000 miles. Only affects early 2001 to week 41 of 2002 production. VAG has now geared up to supply coils for all affected engines by mid February 2003. In the meantime, UK Audi owners get a new Audi loan car.

John ,

Couldn't access the TT Forum , but will try again later and have a read .[/quote:7685afc2fb]

Hmmm.....

Does that mean my bog-standard 1.8T (bought May 2001, 16,000 on the clock now) has successfully passed the danger point, or is it on borrowed time?

Think I'd better phone the local dealer about spare coil packs, just in case...

:(

[/quote:824cbc23e3]

[Looks at odometer]... 10.5K miles

[Looks at calendar]... 11 months

[Looks out window]...

[Looks for some wood] :|