have i bought a dog?

hi,

first post so here goes.

i bought a 07 (56 plate) 1.6 ambiente last summer from a dealer and all was good.

The car came with FSH 55k on the clock and had one owner (fleet vehicle)

since then i have had to replace the flywheel and clutch. The cd player refuses to recognise any disc i put in it and now i have had to live with a constant knocking from 'underneath' which three garages have been unable to diagnose. to top it off yesterday i have disovered about 4-5 inches of water covering the spare wheel.

i did my homework and chose the octavia over a focus estate but have i made the right decision?

the wife has a focus and the thing appears to be bulletproof

i needed somewhere to vent the anger haha and i cant do it with my friends because i will have to put up with the usual skoda jokes etc

is it time already to move the thing on

your thoughts please.....

hi,

first post so here goes.

i bought a 07 (56 plate) 1.6 ambiente last summer from a dealer and all was good.

since then i have had to replace the flywheel and clutch. The cd player refuses to recognise any disc i put in it and now i have had to live with a constant knocking from 'underneath' which three garages have been unable to diagnose. to top it off yesterday i have disovered about 4-5 inches of water covering the spare wheel.

i did my homework and chose the octavia over a focus estate but have i made the right decision?

i needed somewhere to vent the anger haha and i cant do it with my friends because i will have to put up with the usual skoda jokes etc

the most intriguing is the water in the boot....

is your carpet wet as well, or else it may be a hole underneath....

the knocking, unless the technician is on board can be another issue.

on a greek skoda site a guy was complaining about a wheel jitter problem...however when he had it tested on several occasions with other people on board the case could not be repeated, finally he had to admit that he overreacted.

i am noyt saying that you do, but could it be a case of a normal tear and wear sound that worries you to much?

the most intriguing is the water in the boot....

is your carpet wet as well, or else it may be a hole underneath....

the knocking, unless the technician is on board can be another issue.

on a greek skoda site a guy was complaining about a wheel jitter problem...however when he had it tested on several occasions with other people on board the case could not be repeated, finally he had to admit that he overreacted.

i am noyt saying that you do, but could it be a case of a normal tear and wear sound that worries you to much?

hi thanks for reply,

the carpet was completely dry. I had to remove a rubber stopper that the spare sits on to drain the water out underneath. Couldnt find where it had come from at all.

the knocking is a single clunk (metal coming toether) when accelerating which doesnt appear to be ball joint, mount, exhaust etc. When you begin to shake engine to test mount or bounce car it cannot be heard. next day on way to work 'clunk' back to normal. It is loud enough for a person to look across when walking along a footpath. i can only describe it as something shifting forward and backward and coming together.

The car doesn't have a dmf so was a little suprised to have to replace the clutch and flywheel so soon when the the car otherwise is immaculate. i.e looked after.

Any car make model service history or no service history can be a dog im afraid mate, my first car was a fiat seicento v reg no service history £600 of ebay bought it without any real looking into it and it was good as gold i learned to drive in it then my sister did and now if belongs to a friend of the family and still going strong!

Then however i bought a 2003 Ford Mondeo 2.0l Zetec for £3500 and i had it November>June so 7 months and in that space of time it had :

New boost pipe

2x New Exhausts

New heat shield

New coolant hoses

I then sold it to a garage and they knocked money off as it needed new bushes all round and a new dogbone mount! Its just pure luck i think mate, but i sold that mondeo for £1500 made a 2k loss on it and bought my fabia and ive never looked back.

Best thing i ever did, in my experience however i wouldnt recommend a F=fix O=or R=repair D=daily :rofl::thumbup:

Is your Octavia an estate? The rear windscreen washer pipe can become disconnected at the jet on these, causing water to find its way into the spare wheel well. Common problem. One thing that might cause the clonking is a knackered anti roll bar bushing?

Best thing i ever did, in my experience however i wouldnt recommend a F=fix O=or R=repair D=daily :rofl::thumbup:

Fair play, like you say, its luck of the draw, My Octy was the same for the first bit, must have had £3k+ spent on it in the

first year. Not good !

I don't knock Skoda, and certainly don't knock Ford. I had one before my Octy and it was one of the most reliable cars I have ever had.

hi,

first post so here goes.

Hi, Water in the boot is almost certainly the rear washer pipe off either at the wiper motor or in the l/h side of the boot behind the trim.

Knocking could be exhaust on chassis or a bush on the way out.

No idea about cd.

Hi, Water in the boot is almost certainly the rear washer pipe off either at the wiper motor or in the l/h side of the boot behind the trim.

Knocking could be exhaust on chassis or a bush on the way out.

No idea about cd.

that was the cause for a knocking in my previous car....

the chance of something loose (bolt, nut e.t.c) either in the bonnet or boot is far fetched I guess..

Are the CD's originals or burnt on a pc? I had problems with copied cd's reading on the cd changer in the boot. It could also be some dirt on the laser lens preventing the cd's being read.

hi,

first post so here goes.

Just to cheer you up a bit, My girlfriends parents bought a focus and the dealer swapped it in the end because of the water that kept making it's way into the boot and they couldn't work out where the leak was. So it can be any car with these problems guess your just unlucky. :(

Somewhere else on these forums I read that the rear washer supply can leak resulting in the water in the back, this can soak into wiring loom and affect electrics...

if it is so wet do you find it mists up a lot... just a suggestion but condensation on the lens can make cd players misbehave...

try not to be put off the brand, the clutch could have been kn**ered by carp driving during its fleet life which is hardly Skoda's fault.

As for other peoples' smart cracks about Skoda.... well all cars are expensive and wear out, we are just stuck with the jokes from the 70's and 80's, truth is if you think back to those days most cars were pretty carp, fell to bits and went wrong on a regular basis, the other brands had to bad mouth Skoda because at least it was cheaper.

My money would be on the washer pipe and water getting on to the cd changer connections as well.

As for the knocking, RARB bush is a good shout, but take it in for a MoT - if there are any worn bushes they will quite happily find them for you!