Lifetime mileage limit of the 2.0 TDI PD Engine

Guest wilkopilko

Turbo failure is often caused by regularly switching the engine off as soon as you park up. That is a huge no no. Let the engine tick over for a while, to let the turbo cool whilst it is still getting a supply of oil for the bearings. Just look at all the high performance cars now fitted with turbo timers that allow the engine to run for a few minutes even with the keys out, and car locked.

I wasn't aware of this. How long is a while?

Hence my comment re letting the turbo "simmer", before switching off.

This problem was first noticed (in my experience) in the farming community when turbos were first fitted to tractors, I think Ford's were the first & the worst.

The older owner drivers would simply pull the strangler after heavy work, the oil in the red hot turbo would carbonise, after several expensive replacment turbos the message started getting through.

I reckoned after fleecing up the Motorway if one backed off the revs and tootled up the slip roads and whilst parking etc etc, by the time one got parked she should be cooled sufficiently, otherwise watch the engine oil temp if necessary.

All purely "gut feeling" stuff...............but hey it worked for me.

Edited by dieseldogg

Turbo failure is often caused by regularly switching the engine off as soon as you park up. That is a huge no no. Let the engine tick over for a while, to let the turbo cool whilst it is still getting a supply of oil for the bearings. Just look at all the high performance cars now fitted with turbo timers that allow the engine to run for a few minutes even with the keys out, and car locked.

which high performance cars are fitted with factory turbo timers??

I'm with dieseldogg , just take it easy for a bit before you switch it off but dont expect a turbo to last forever because they wont they do a tough job in a harsh environment

I have a notion that when VW first went diesel (with the "desilised" 1.6 petrol block?), that the turbo actually had a supplementary electric oil pump, which continued to circulate oil to the turbo for a few minutes after the engine was switched off, I presume this was temp dependant. A simple "fix" surely.

Is/was this correct?

which high performance cars are fitted with factory turbo timers??

I'm with dieseldogg , just take it easy for a bit before you switch it off but dont expect a turbo to last forever because they wont they do a tough job in a harsh environment

Agreed

There are some fitted to tuned cars but not really neccesary, just a nice toy to show off !! I cant off hand think of a manufacturer who fits one to a std car, with modern emission regs that would be frowned upon anywayjust

Agreed with the let the car cool by being nice to it just before you stop, a gentle drive for the last mile should be fine, If the car has been driven hard the turbo is cooking but so are brakes etc, it alll needs to cool.

People need to read the forums more :D

The advice and practice of letting turbos cool after use is not a new one. It's best practice really. As said, letting it run off-boost for the last part of your journey is usually sufficient, perhaps where you're in urban areas en-route to your destination and don't need the engine on-boost anyway.

The only time I actively let it sit and idle for a minute is if I come off the motorway and stop soon afterwards - a motorway service station for example.

Steve

People need to read the forums more :D

The advice and practice of letting turbos cool after use is not a new one. It's best practice really. As said, letting it run off-boost for the last part of your journey is usually sufficient, perhaps where you're in urban areas en-route to your destination and don't need the engine on-boost anyway.

The only time I actively let it sit and idle for a minute is if I come off the motorway and stop soon afterwards - a motorway service station for example.

Steve

Agreed Steve, I've done the same with every turbo car I've owned and am yet to have a turbo fail (aside from one on my first BMW than went after less than 2,000 miles due to a fault - the replacement went for over 65,000 miles totally trouble-free).

It's common sense to let something that does so much work, calm/cool down before you stop it completely.

Most athletes do a warm-down for their muscles.........same thing. :D

also make sure the oil is properly circulated when the engine is cold before giving the turbo the full beans as lack of oil to the turbo can cause the turbo shaft to turn blue due to lack of oil and excessive heat.

I would agree & go further, I think its always worth making sure things are up to temperature as well. Anyone with maxidot can read out the oil temp, use that as a guide to when the car is warm enough. For anyone who hasnt done this, on the Scout & I assume others are the same it wont register anything below 50 so you need to wait for a bit. The cars temp gauge measures water temp & that comes up much quicker than the oil temp. I would guess its about 3 times as long as it takes to get the water up to temperature. Theres no need to waste fuel with the car ticking over on the drive, just drive it sensibly until its at a reosnable temp.

Edited by Stuart_J

I would agree & go further, I think its always worth making sure things are up to temperature as well. Anyone with maxidot can read out the oil temp, use that as a guide to when the car is warm enough.

Amendment: anyone with Maxidot AND a facelift model :)