Top Gear magazine

In the past I checked the Superb ratings according to Top Gear Magazine. Naturally for the different models there were different ratings. I believe in the past they varied from 11 to 14 out of a possible 20. In the latest number of TG, all the Superb models are rated 11. Anyone else think this is just a little strange. One month 14 next month 11, which is actually quite bad. At the same time Top Gear (TV show???) has called the Superb luxury car of the year.

Edited by carter48

Top Gear is an entertainement magazine that happens to major on cars. I wouldnt be too concerned about it apparently marking down the Superb. People who know and care about cars will get their information from reliable sources. If the masses are swayed by the Top Gear ranking then all to the good- means the average punter will take their money elsewhere and retain the relative exclusivity of the Superb.:happy:

Its "just" a magazine, and no substitute for a test drive. I like the exclusivity of the Superb too.

Me too. In almost 500 miles of driving since last Saturday, I've seen 3 Superb's, 1 on the M56 on Wednesday and 2 in Skegness last weekend. They were spotted on the same site that our static is on and will soon be joined by mine, once I get my hands on it!

Edited by Slinksuperb

1 on the M56 on Wednesday

Where and about what time? I will have been westbound between J1 & J11 around 7:15-7:30 and doing return around 18:00.

Never know, it could have been me :-)

Paul

I bought my Superb on TG tester Jason Barlow's report.

It's a shame, however, that he did not read the owners' handbook when he had the car for the "Lifers" long-term review section.

Phil

Yup, I agree with all of you; TG is for entertainment. And I love my Superb, but these are not the issues I am questioning.

We could argue that news programs, newspapers etc. are also entertainment sources, which indeed they are. We could also argue that how the news is

chosen and presented, and repeated has a dramatic effect on our governments and ultimately us.

TG does effect how many cars get sold and the resale value of our cars. And to be honest it may even effect the feelings some of us may have for our cars (if we repeatedly hear

it's a piece of junk will we feel bad or do we feel good when it's named best car))

When the Swedish TG magazine, Teknikensvärld, writes that in the infamous moose test the the Superb is unsafe. sales go down.

Entertainment does have importance

Edited by carter48

Where and about what time? I will have been westbound between J1 & J11 around 7:15-7:30 and doing return around 18:00.

Never know, it could have been me :-)

Paul

It was around 9.30 and a silver one, just before the M53 turn off. Will keep my eyes peeled next time I'm over that way!

I bought my Superb on TG tester Jason Barlow's report.

It's a shame, however, that he did not read the owners' handbook when he had the car for the "Lifers" long-term review section.

Yep, one of his biggest gripes with the Superb that he mentioned in the 'lifers' section every month was that he had to press the unlock button twice on the remote to open all the doors.

If he'd bothered to read the manual he'd know this was something he could have adjusted himself :dull:

Yep, one of his biggest gripes with the Superb that he mentioned in the 'lifers' section every month was that he had to press the unlock button twice on the remote to open all the doors.

If he'd bothered to read the manual he'd know this was something he could have adjusted himself :dull:

How can you adjust that yourself Silver? I picked up my Superb on Friday but i've not been able to suss out how to change the lock/unlock settings.

It's really annoying!

How can you adjust that yourself Silver? I picked up my Superb on Friday but i've not been able to suss out how to change the lock/unlock settings.

It's really annoying!

In the Maxidot display goto SETUP in there you will fond the setting to unlock all doors or drivers

I've had a read of the owners manual... I don't think you can change the setting in Maxidot unless you have electronic seats! Which the SE model doesn't have. That sucks.

My car was delivered with the central locking set to only unlock the driver's door (and to make it even more fiddly and annoying, i've got KESSY so i don't even have the keys in my hand to press twice!). The manual says the default option should be that it opens ALL doors.

"Opening a single door

This function makes it possible to only unlock the driver's door. The other doors and

the fuel filler flap remain locked and are only unlocked after repetitive unlocking.

You can have the function opening a single door activated by an authorised Å koda

Service Partner on request or you can activate it yourself with the aid of the Information

display  page 25."

(Page 25 then says you can only change the setting if you have electronic seats).

Can i take it to any Skoda dealership to have this done? It's a lease vehicle but it was purchased through a dealership in Newcastle, not my local dealership up the road in Mansfield.

I've had a read of the owners manual... I don't think you can change the setting in Maxidot unless you have electronic seats! Which the SE model doesn't have. That sucks.

My car was delivered with the central locking set to only unlock the driver's door (and to make it even more fiddly and annoying, i've got KESSY so i don't even have the keys in my hand to press twice!). The manual says the default option should be that it opens ALL doors.

"Opening a single door

This function makes it possible to only unlock the driver's door. The other doors and

the fuel filler flap remain locked and are only unlocked after repetitive unlocking.

You can have the function opening a single door activated by an authorised Å koda

Service Partner on request or you can activate it yourself with the aid of the Information

display  page 25."

(Page 25 then says you can only change the setting if you have electronic seats).

Can i take it to any Skoda dealership to have this done? It's a lease vehicle but it was purchased through a dealership in Newcastle, not my local dealership up the road in Mansfield.

The default setting is to open one door, always has been because this is how mine is and how all VAG cars leave the factory.

Unless you have electric seats you cannot alter the setting yourself, because with electric seats you can set various options that apply per key. For example, one of my keys is set to unlock all doors, whereas the other only unlocks one. Great as I usually drive alone, but when the other key is used all doors open on first press.

If you go to a dealer they can set the car so that all keys unlock all doors but you dont get the per key option.

Jason Barlow has gone downhill then - he used to be a fine writer and reviewer - nearly every car around these days employs the "safety" one plip opens drivers door, 2 plips opens all (Ford, Vauxhall, VAG group...).

It isn't just Top Gear's reviewers either - some half-wit in Autoexpress broke the door handle on his long term car (can't remember which, but it may have been a Skoda) when he did one plip and then ripped the handle off in his rage! How stupid do these journos (who drive hundreds of cars and presumbaly only ever on their own, so never reall KNOW a car).