Exhaust question

Didescharlie

Please excuse me if this has been discussed elsewhere, although I have had a hunt about.

Every Yeti I have yet seen, from 4x4 diesel models to 1.2 petrols has had the twin tailpipe set-up that is basically in every picture where they are visible in the brochure. Including the chrome pipes option in the accessories brochure. A recent visit to a dealer I saw a 1.2 petrol with twin tailpipes. I couple of weeks later I went back, and the showroonm Yeti, still a 1.2, had been replaced, and now had a single large oval tailpipe. I mentioned this to the salesperson who replied with "they must differ based on what engine it has". Now I know this cannot be true. Does anyone else know if they are all being changed as standard - I assume these things can change based on supplies etc, but the exhaust seems such a part of a car's character that I'm surprised they would change something like this on a whim.

ANy thoughts? Excuse me if this has been discussed before.

Collect my 1.2 next week,I wanted a twin pipe.

Mine is an August 2010 model, and has the single pipe. They moved the jack and tools to under the spare wheel, and changed the exhaust at the same time, all the 1.2's are like that now as far as I know.

The 1.2TSI switched to a single pipe WK22/10 due to a new rear box being required when the Tiguan floating rear assemble carrier (sub frame) was replaced with a cheaper and simpler Golf rear frame on the 2wd models. This change also effected the other 2wd engines but they retained the twin pipe arrangement. Also necessitated a repositioning of the tool box under the spare wheel as the new exhaust occupied the space previously used for the sub-floor tool box.

My link

TP

I have to hand it to Skoda - what you think you have ordered and what you get are not necessarily the same thing, especially if you go buy the brochure - and its all covered by the small print as far as they are concerned.

Rough road package changed

Exhaust system changed

Rear suspension changed

Luggage compartment trim changed

.......and there must be some I've missed!

Are other manufacturers as bad?

I have to hand it to Skoda - what you think you have ordered and what you get are not necessarily the same thing, especially if you go buy the brochure - and its all covered by the small print as far as they are concerned.

Exhaust system changed

Rear suspension changed

Yes, everyone does it....it's called product development.

The 1.2TSI switched to a single pipe WK22/10 due to a new rear box being required when the Tiguan floating rear assemble carrier (sub frame) was replaced with a cheaper and simpler Golf rear frame on the 2wd models. This change also effected the other 2wd engines but they retained the twin pipe arrangement. Also necessitated a repositioning of the tool box under the spare wheel as the new exhaust occupied the space previously used for the sub-floor tool box.

TP

So as I have the original design, does that mean mine handles and rides better or worse than the revised one? Strange how once the model is established they keep changing it, would it do as well now on the road tests all new models get?

the showroom Yeti, still a 1.2, had been replaced, and now had a single large oval tailpipe. I mentioned this to the salesperson who replied with "they must differ based on what engine it has".

Any thoughts?

My thought is: it never ceases to amaze me how blindingly ignorant some salespeople can be about the products they are supposed to be encouraging us to buy. (When I went to test drive a Ford Kuga the salesman told me that he could never tell the difference between 2WD and 4WD.)

Reminds me of an experience I had in the mid-1970s. My parents had a small Fiat 128 FWD car but wanted to replace it with a FWD automatic. The Fiat dealer was insistent that a Fiat 124 was FWD - until I invited him to look underneath and explain why it had a prop shaft driving a differential on the rear axle!!

Chris

Exhaust system changed

Rear suspension changed

It's not necessarily bad. Product improvements, cost savings, problem fixes, production fixes and not any significant degradations to the specifications.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, especially such a definitive answer from plumber. I think the oval pipe looks suitably chunky, but does the 1.4 still have the twin pipes? Is the chrome trim available for both types of pipes?

My 1.4, delivered end of November 2010, has the twin pipes.

I wonder if these pipes are stainless like the Seat Altea I used to have. I polished those up and they didn't look bad.

Yes, everyone does it....it's called product development.

+2

It affects all sorts of manufactured goods. Companies that do no ongoing development will not cause this sort of 'inconvenience' - if you prefer that approach!