So who tows a caravan?

Millstone

As you probably know the lead vehicle does not set a speed which the queue then maintains but if it gets to, say,30 vehicles the rear will be slower.

I'll leave the matter here. As you say it is your thread which is meant to help you find out what other Yeti owners tow and I wish you all great pleasure in your caravans.

JCP - No offence taken, after all lively debate is interesting!!

One point that may interest you regarding your first comment above - On the southern sections of the M25 and more lately on the M6/M42 around Birmingham, during busy periods, they have introduced variable speed limits, this has the effect of slowing the traffic to a speed (usually 50 mph) where it actually flows faster than when there is no speed limit - It is something to do with removing the 'snake/concertina' effect casued by drivers going fast, then having to brake suddenly when they approach the vehicle in front (Follow anybody who drives too close and their brake lights are on and off all the time, this tempts you to do the same - I just open the gap up) - If everybody just opened the gap up a bit on single carriageway roads the speed of the last man in the queue would be the same as the first man. (We can hope!!)

However thank you for your good wishes, and again no offence taken.

This post has done some good - Llanigraham has found a caravan dealer near him !!!

I would comment that from my non caravanning towing experience with a humble 110HP diesel. It was obvious that in order to proceed with maximium speed that one needed to hang back from the vehicle in front, this both allowed other cars to overtake into the gap but more importantly left me room to continue at a steady speed when the queue of vehicles in front bunched and braked. Like they do since they appear to mostly focus 3m/5m? in front of their own bonnet.

This buffer gap then prevented (mostly) me from having to scrub off speed which due to the loads being towed required some time to re-acquire.

All about a functioning brain & anticipation = good driving skills.

My pet hate are the expletive-deleted who take their vintage motors out for a run midweek, and cause hugh backlogs of traffic simply because they WILL NOT pull in.

I have fortunately not yet met a vintage car pulling a caravan, well on reflection I would rather meet one than come up behind one.

Cheers

M

Edited by dieseldogg