Tyre pressure gauge

WillWord

What are members using re checking tyre pressure? How Accurate are they? We spend a lot of time talking about tyres,and how important to use the correct tyre winter/all season etc. Any recommendations for a accurate tyre pressure gauge?

Good point. The ones on garage pumps are usually rubbish. And often the home type tyre compressors have a fair margin for error as well.

I use a Draper one, similar to this:

http://goo.gl/OKx2E

Or another suggestion:

http://goo.gl/q3FBN

You can spend a fair bit on a super accurate gauge, so it depends what you were thinking of really.

I use a 2" dial gauge, which has been checked against much larger and accurate gauges. It is similar to the one in the second link above.

A decent dial gauge like the Draper one is a much better bet than the cheap rubbish that gets fitted to most foot pumps and electric compressors. A pressure release button is a handy feature because it means that you can concentrate on getting a good seal on the valve to take the reading without even actually having to see the face of the gauge while you do it. You can read the pressure at your leisure after you've disconnected the gauge from the valve, then pop the release button to reset the gauge to zero ready for the next reading.

ISTR that someone (the AA maybe, or Which?) found that the pencil-type gauges were often surprisingly accurate. I tend to find them less easy to use (especially on my motorbike, with twin brake discs getting in the way) and to read (increasing age = increasingly long sighted!) and there is always the risk of the plunger either getting obstructed as you are taking a reading, or knocked out of position afterwards. However, they're probably a good lightweight and compact option to keep in the car for ad-hoc checks so long as you bear these limitations in mind.

What are members using re checking tyre pressure? How Accurate are they? We spend a lot of time talking about tyres,and how important to use the correct tyre winter/all season etc. Any recommendations for a accurate tyre pressure gauge?

Try one of these, they are really accurate and come well rated by "Which" and "Autocar" they are also quite reasonably priced. My link

Try one of these, they are really accurate and come well rated by "Which" and "Autocar" they are also quite reasonably priced. My link

I see there's an 'RAC610' model now. Good price on Amazon too: http://goo.gl/t1ug4

Wonder whether this model has the same 'Self Select Pressure Mode' though, allowing you to enter a pre-defined pressure and it'll shut off once that's achieved. Sounds like a useful option

Interesting discussion. I've got one of the dial type guages that I keep in the car ... had it for years, forget exactly where I got it, but might have been an AA shop. Recently pumped up tyres at a local filling station, and checked their guage against mine ... exactly the same readings. Now this made me think a bit, because I'd always assumed that filling station guages were rubbish. Anyway, a week or so later, and just before my jaunt to the Alps, I asked my local tyre dealer to switch round my fronts and rears, and while he was at it, check my pressures ... and his guage gave the same figures again. If we're wrong, we're all wrong!

On another note - I always buy my tyres from my local dealer. He's not part of any of the national chains, an independent. He services my MGB V8 as well, and does MoT tests. OK, I end up paying a little more for the tyres than I would if I searched the web and haggled around - but I get a great and reliable service, and little extras, and he's only 10 minutes away. For example switching my tyres around was free. If I have a query about my tyres (or anything else about my car) I know I'll get an honest answer - he won't try to sell me anything I don't need. He usually doesn't want paying on the spot; he'll fit my tyres and say "Oh, pop in before the end of the month when we've typed up the bill, and pay us then" ... which gives me a useful interest free payment gap on my credit card

Edited by Bobdog

Interesting discussion. I've got one of the dial type guages that I keep in the car ... had it for years, forget exactly where I got it, but might have been an AA shop. Recently pumped up tyres at a local filling station, and checked their guage against mine ... exactly the same readings. Now this made me think a bit, because I'd always assumed that filling station guages were rubbish. Anyway, a week or so later, and just before my jaunt to the Alps, I asked my local tyre dealer to switch round my fronts and rears, and while he was at it, check my pressures ... and his guage gave the same figures again. If we're wrong, we're all wrong!

It does differ from garage to garage, and town to town. It's just best to assume the worst with the forecourt guages. If they check out against a known, reliable other gauge then it's a bonus :)

I never tend to use them to be honest; just use a small compressor I keep in the boot, which is fairly accurate, then double-check pressures against an analogue pressure gauge, similar to those linked above emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I use my Topeak SmartGauge D2. I bough it for bicycle use but it works ok on the car. The pressures are similar to my MTB tyres which are also tubeless, so can run lower pressures without worry of pinch flats.

The gauge has a memory like mentioned above so you don't need to see it when you take the measurement. You can also let out air. Reads bar, psi and another which I can't remember. Battery powered.

This is the one I use http://www.international-tool.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28_80&products_id=925&zenid=d8b1cdf118d6121f7a4e1ec423cd606a. Cost around £15 (price isn't listed on the website at present for some reason).

It has a good clear dial, reading in BAR & psi. Useful features are the angled/swivel chuck and the 'bleed' button.

I've had one for quite a number of years, used to use it when karting.

I also have a pencil type gauge that I keep in my briefcase for work to do a quick check on the tyres of my Company's car. I inherited (borrowed) it from my father some years ago, it must be 50+ years old and + or - 1psi it is still accurate!

I see there's an 'RAC610' model now. Good price on Amazon too: http://goo.gl/t1ug4

Wonder whether this model has the same 'Self Select Pressure Mode' though, allowing you to enter a pre-defined pressure and it'll shut off once that's achieved. Sounds like a useful option

The RAC610 is the cheaper analogue model which uses a dial and apparently will not facilitate the auto inflation feature. The unit I own is the digital version that allows you to to set the pressure in PSI,Bar or KPA. It is very accurate and shuts off automatically once the pressure is reached which I find to be an extremely usefull feature. I have had the units readings checked at my local tyre supplier and they were spot on. It is a well made unit, supplied in a zip up case and for the price I cannot fault it.

I use the older Halford's rubber armoured dial type - similar to other dial types above. The newer one has a lock, and is much smaller - too small to read accurately IMO. I find analogue easier frankly. I have had it tested against the best one at my local STS - one they get checked periodically - but it would be nice to have a place/means to check properly and directly. When you read spec detail both analogue and digital types have similar accuracy claims - but I wouldnt be at all surprised if there is a wide range between individual units.

The old fashioned 'rod' type is harder to read, but ought to be pretty accurate and consistant - it uses the laws of physics rather than mechanics or electronics to do it's job. I do keep one just in case.

Everyone has quoted their own favourite tyre gauge but noone has quoted the error or bothered to check against a standard pressure gauge (except roguebrit). Someone said the garage gauges are rubbish - maybe so but they should have been calibrated and corrected by Trading Standards. More than any privately owned gauge.

You expect the pump to give a litre of petrol so why should the pressure gauge not give a pound of pressure?

Edited by Terfyn

Everyone has quoted their own favourite tyre gauge but noone has quoted the error or bothered to check against a standard pressure gauge (except roguebrit). Someone said the garage gauges are rubbish - maybe so but they should have been calibrated and corrected by Trading Standards. More than any privately owned gauge.

You expect the pump to give a litre of petrol so why should the pressure gauge not give a pound of pressure?

So true! At least though we are discussing the issue and all respondents have a tyre pressure gauge (TPG); so we ought to be checking our pressures.

What about the millions of UK motorists who probably don't bother one service to another? There isn't a day goes by that I don't spot a vehicle with one or more tyres that are obviously low in pressure!

The old fashioned 'rod' type ... uses the laws of physics rather than mechanics or electronics to do it's job.

Er, mechanics and electronics are all part of physics (well they ain't biology or chemistry!)

Er, mechanics and electronics are all part of physics (well they ain't biology or chemistry!)

Ha ha. True, and I didn't say they weren't. What I said was that the old fashioned rod-type uses the laws of physics to do its job. And it does - that's all it uses - it does not depend on linkages, or battery power, or any complex mechanics or calibration of electronic components.

If you want to know more look at Wikipedia's info on pressure measuring, for instance. Among the types of measuring device is the piston type, and this is generally known as a deadweight tester. The two main applications of deadweight testers are for tyre pressure gauges, and gauges used for calibration of other types. They are used for calibration because they use absolutes, and the laws of physics to work, and are effectively the most direct way to measure pressure. I see that Wiki even gives the formulae if you follow the links. The point is there is very little to go wrong, and thus, as I said, they ought to be both accurate and consistent.

I hope that clarifies what I meant.

If you want to know more look at Wikipedia's info on pressure measuring, for instance. Among the types of measuring device is the piston type, and this is generally known as a deadweight tester. The two main applications of deadweight testers are for tyre pressure gauges, and gauges used for calibration of other types. They are used for calibration because they use absolutes, and the laws of physics to work, and are effectively the most direct way to measure pressure. I see that Wiki even gives the formulae if you follow the links. The point is there is very little to go wrong, and thus, as I said, they ought to be both accurate and consistent.

I hope that clarifies what I meant.

To be pedantic. The rod type tyre gauge uses an internal spring so is not a "deadweight" type. The "deadweight" tester uses a weight on a piston of known area. e.g a 1lb weight on a piston of area 1 sq In = 1lb/sq in. Now THAT'S Physics.

If it breathes it's biology, if it stinks it's chemistry, everything else is physics!

Just taken delivery of RAC 610 analogue compressor mentioned earlier from Amazon and am delighted with quality and performance. There is no preset for pressure but at £9.30 inc delivery I am happy that the focus is on the quality of build rather than features - albeit a very useful feature. Connection to the tyre valve is by screwing on the end of the compressor hose which produces a very secure fitting.

The compressor pressure reading is within 5% of my pencil mechanical gauge so subject to checking pencil is accurate I am happy.