My Octavia Vandalised

Hello all, I awoke this morning to find that some **** smashed both my wing mirrors off.

Unfortunatly due to my young age, it means that claiming on the insurance is not an option, as a vandalism will effect my no claims bonus. This means my insurance will go up from an already steep £120 a month (Including pass plus and young driver agreement discounts) to nearly £230. I have 3 years ncb which has involved me behaving myself as the goal is to one day afford a VRS.

This is gonna mean forking out for two new wing mirrors for the MK2 Octavia. Anyone know where I can get these cheap? It would be very much apreciated!

Thanks for your time,

Callum

Edited by Shetland Skoda

Shetland is pretty crime free, but it has its nutcases like everywhere else sadly. Where we stay there is alot of oil/constuction workers who tend to cause a bit bother for our local bobby. It will be in the newspaper and on local radio hopefuly that will find the culprit but I'm not holding my breath.

Sorry to hear this.

My last car was vandalised last year and my insurers stumped up without losing my NCB. That was Direct Line. Might be worth checking?

If you've got a hefty excess however (£500 for example) it may be not be worth claiming.

Edited by juan27

The mirrors on mine are common to some Audis and probably a few other VW cars too. I am guessing a good scrap yard would be a start but they are probably rare up there. Some scrap yards do have websites.

Yeah thanks guys, I think the 2005 polo shares the same mirrors is this correct? Because they do look similar and I have found a website which is selling these cheap-ish. I've sent a request to 247 spares as well.

Bad luck. Good news on catching the vandal though.

What year is the Octy? If it's pre-FL you can use mirrors from a 9N3 Polo. Make sure it's the facelift Polo though, as the 9N doesn't have intregrated indicators on the mirror housing. Depending on whether you have puddle lights or not, this might be ruled out as an option as the Polo never got these. Depends if you're bothered about them or not though.

Steve

GOOD NEWS!!! The bobbies caught the pr*ck!! Some little drunken 18 year old dole dodger! Done several other cars aswell. He did one right infront of the owner who treated him to several punches :) .

Unfortunatly as he is a dole dodgeing bast@rd cant get any money of the little f@cker but atleast I can sleep easy knowing he has a broken face :giggle:

If you sue in the civil courts, can't you get the cost deducted from his Dole? (I think you can).

If all the people who had it done get together, it might teach the individual a lesson.

That's a real pi55er mate. :(

On the same theme, my walk home from work takes me through one of the posher parts of London (I don't live there, just walk to the tube) and there's an Aston V12 Vantage parked on the street. It'd only been there about a week so I can only assume he's just got it, or just moved in to the one of the £1m+ houses down the street. Anyway, the other day I walked past and noticed his wing mirror hanging off by the cable, and smashed to bits. I wonder how much a wing mirror for an V12 Vantage costs :o

Still, for him it'll be the equivalent of a fiver to normal people. Still not right though. At first I had a chuckle, then I got angry and thought about how I'd feel if it happend to me :swear:

Yeah thanks guys, I think the 2005 polo shares the same mirrors is this correct? Because they do look similar and I have found a website which is selling these cheap-ish. I've sent a request to 247 spares as well.

I feel your pain - someone did one of mine on my previous car. I used http://www.skospares.com and was able to transfer across all the glass and housing as only the bracket was damaged, which atleast meant i didn't have to get stuff colour coded.

Edited by sdenny

That's a real pi55er mate. :(

On the same theme, my walk home from work takes me through one of the posher parts of London (I don't live there, just walk to the tube) and there's an Aston V12 Vantage parked on the street. It'd only been there about a week so I can only assume he's just got it, or just moved in to the one of the £1m+ houses down the street. Anyway, the other day I walked past and noticed his wing mirror hanging off by the cable, and smashed to bits. I wonder how much a wing mirror for an V12 Vantage costs :o

Still, for him it'll be the equivalent of a fiver to normal people. Still not right though. At first I had a chuckle, then I got angry and thought about how I'd feel if it happend to me :swear:

Sadly it seems to be a bit of a trait amongst certain people to ruin things they envy. Puts me a bit in mind of the Fortmum & Mason demo smash-up the other day - did they stop to consider that Fortnum donate something like £25 million a year to charities? No. It's like no matter how hard you work you're not allowed to have anything nice for your efforts. Some growing up needed.

It's probably some to55ers who don't want to work and are jealous that you have a car and they don't.

They deserve a public birching for damaging someone else's hard earned property.

Hope you get it sorted mate and I hope the sh1ts get caught.

Dave

Just read the rest of the postings now that my initial rage has subsided.

Good that he got a thrashing - hope he gets one every time he ventures out of his house. If you see him, give him a punch in the face from me and a few extra for the hassle he has caused other decent folk.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by FatblokeVRS

that is shocking.

me and my family went through a terrible 3 months at around christmas there thanks to people throwing bricks and putting paint stripper on my car.

disgusting and this was 2 people who one of is an ex footballers son. did not even know him only his cousin and all got done to me, wife and young daughter around christmas because we had got a new car.

the justice system does not treat vandalism seriously at all.

dont understand people who damage peoples property. pathetic scum.

Bad luck. Good news on catching the vandal though.

What year is the Octy? If it's pre-FL you can use mirrors from a 9N3 Polo. Make sure it's the facelift Polo though, as the 9N doesn't have intregrated indicators on the mirror housing. Depending on whether you have puddle lights or not, this might be ruled out as an option as the Polo never got these. Depends if you're bothered about them or not though.

Steve

My Octy is an 06 plate base model (classic 1.6FSI) It does have the indicators integrated, can I ask what is the puddle lights? And what are they for spotting puddles haha. Seriously never heard of these interested to know more.

Thanks callum

If you sue in the civil courts, can't you get the cost deducted from his Dole? (I think you can).

If all the people who had it done get together, it might teach the individual a lesson.

He is a repating offender for various other things (being a small community finding out things fast) hes been told to pay up or go to jail as hes in trouble for various other things including taking his mothers car and crashing it.

thanks for your help,

Callum

It's probably some to55ers who don't want to work and are jealous that you have a car and they don't.

They deserve a public birching for damaging someone else's hard earned property.

Hope you get it sorted mate and I hope the sh1ts get caught.

Dave

Just read the rest of the postings now that my initial rage has subsided.

Good that he got a thrashing - hope he gets one every time he ventures out of his house. If you see him, give him a punch in the face from me and a few extra for the hassle he has caused other decent folk.

Cheers

Dave

You can count on it!! Im not really the fighting type, but would do my best to make a mess of him haha any tips? :rofl: . This is probably one of those things that looks good in your mind but plays out very different usually with you failing haha.

Worth a go. Especially as two complete mirror assemblies for the Octy aren't going to be particularly cheap.

Yeah am going to try anyway, there is a scrappy in Aberdeen called Overtons, there doing me 2 for £35 each when vat and postage is added it comes to £92.01 only problem is they are silver. Or would silver wing mirrors look good on a red octavia? Bit of an RS4 theme haha. She already sits on RS4 wheels haha.

that is shocking.

me and my family went through a terrible 3 months at around christmas there thanks to people throwing bricks and putting paint stripper on my car.

disgusting and this was 2 people who one of is an ex footballers son. did not even know him only his cousin and all got done to me, wife and young daughter around christmas because we had got a new car.

the justice system does not treat vandalism seriously at all.

dont understand people who damage peoples property. pathetic scum.

I feel like what I went through today, was nothing compared to what you and your family went through! Its always worse when children are involved.

Relatives of mine many years ago, from Edinburgh, bought a brand new car it was a high spec vauxhall Zafira with alloys, tints etc (not a particularly nice car in my opinion) but it was the "Family car."

The crime which it had done was to have a Heart of Midlothan Football airfreshner. So it had lumps taken out it by Hibernian fans. My young cousins (at the time) were all very upset by this and seeing them upset made the already upset parents, even more upset. And this wasnt even at chrismas time!! What you went through mate, was more than below the belt, infact its a punch in the balls followed by there removal.

I hope you caught your C@nts.

Callum

Edited by Shetland Skoda
  • Like 1