VAG 170 PS Diesel Injector Failures - VOSA action

I phoned but the lady can't say what brand the new injectors are and if they will still break. She said a very nice thing, though: "If Volkswagen will not change the injectors, they will go to jail". Literally. :)

I phoned also to a Romanian retailer. The injectors here are Continental, 'TX' series for 170hp Passat and 'S' series for 140hp Passat. They said that for 170hp engine they didn't have new parts broken because there are not so many compared to other engines. But the new S series injectors from the 140hp engine, yes, they had these new injectors failed the same.

Dear xxxxx

Thank you for your telephone call of 19 September 2011 in relation to the injectors fitted to your ŠKODA Octavia vRS, chassis number xxxxxxxx.

I am happy to confirm that, if you have any concerns over the injectors in your vehicle, ŠKODA UK will pay for an inspection performed at a member of our Approved Retailer Network. If the inspection finds that any of the injectors are faulty, ŠKODA UK will approve the replacement of all four injectors as a gesture of goodwill.

If the inspection finds that there are no issues with the injectors, but you feel uncomfortable driving the vehicle in light of recent events, ŠKODA UK will pre-emptively replace all four injectors as a gesture of goodwill.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly, using the telephone number provided below.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact ŠKODA UK.

Kind regards

Dan Latta Customer Relations Manager

ŠKODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA

Tel: +44 (0)845 7745745 | fax: +44 (0)844 8267855 [email protected] |

Dear xxxxx

Thank you for your telephone call of 19 September 2011 in relation to the injectors fitted to your Å KODA Octavia vRS, chassis number xxxxxxxx.

I am happy to confirm that, if you have any concerns over the injectors in your vehicle, Å KODA UK will pay for an inspection performed at a member of our Approved Retailer Network. If the inspection finds that any of the injectors are faulty, Å KODA UK will approve the replacement of all four injectors as a gesture of goodwill.

If the inspection finds that there are no issues with the injectors, but you feel uncomfortable driving the vehicle in light of recent events, Å KODA UK will pre-emptively replace all four injectors as a gesture of goodwill.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly, using the telephone number provided below.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact Å KODA UK.

Kind regards

Å KODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA

Hi lordlucan.

Was this an official letter you received from Skoda Uk in answer to your problems?.

I am waiting for phone call from dealer who in turn is waiting for Simon Acroyd at Skoda to contact them. Depending on their answer ( I want the injectors and loom changed on my VRS pre-emptively) can i quote your reply?

Thanks

Hi lordlucan.

Was this an official letter you received from Skoda Uk in answer to your problems?.

I am waiting for phone call from dealer who in turn is waiting for Simon Acroyd at Skoda to contact them. Depending on their answer ( I want the injectors and loom changed on my VRS pre-emptively) can i quote your reply?

Thanks

Simon is not dealing with this anymore according to Skoda today.. he is now on "special projects"..... I have today spoken to Dan named in the letter above.... I got further in 50 minutes dealing with Dan than 3 weeks with all the others.. verbal agreement to change all 4 injectors pre emptively, they are passing the case number onto my chosen dealer.. I just have to book it in.

Even though I am getting sorted, I will support any collective action to make this more "open"....

Rich.

sent via HTC

Simon is not dealing with this anymore according to Skoda today.. he is now on "special projects"..... I have today spoken to Dan named in the letter above.... I got further in 50 minutes dealing with Dan than 3 weeks with all the others.. verbal agreement to change all 4 injectors pre emptively, they are passing the case number onto my chosen dealer.. I just have to book it in.

Even though I am getting sorted, I will support any collective action to make this more "open"....

Rich.

sent via HTC

Thanks RustyGT

Think i'll make another phone call to Skoda myself tomorrow and ask for Dan this time and lets hope for sucess :D like yourself.

Thanks RustyGT

Think i'll make another phone call to Skoda myself tomorrow and ask for Dan this time and lets hope for sucess :D like yourself.

Hope you get somewhere.

Imho... I think what might help is a list of who has had pre emptive changes done, so when folks call Skoda to be told we don't do them, they can tell them otherwise.... maybe car details and date of change? ....

sent via HTC

Dear xxxxx

Thank you for your telephone call of 19 September 2011 in relation to the injectors fitted to your ŠKODA Octavia vRS, chassis number xxxxxxxx.

I am happy to confirm that, if you have any concerns over the injectors in your vehicle, ŠKODA UK will pay for an inspection performed at a member of our Approved Retailer Network. If the inspection finds that any of the injectors are faulty, ŠKODA UK will approve the replacement of all four injectors as a gesture of goodwill.

If the inspection finds that there are no issues with the injectors, but you feel uncomfortable driving the vehicle in light of recent events, ŠKODA UK will pre-emptively replace all four injectors as a gesture of goodwill.

Kind regards

Result my friend. All the best with your Injector change. Make sure you print this out and take it with you so the dealer has this to show to Skoda UK.

As Deneo says print out my email from Skoda CS and take it to the dealer, no need to call Skoda CS.

MODS - Can we now pin this and close the thread.

Surely you cant just turn up with a copy of an email that was intended for another person? If it was as easy as that I wouldnt have had the 3 week back and forth that I have. You must need a case number for SUK to settle with the dealer??

Surely you cant just turn up with a copy of an email that was intended for another person? If it was as easy as that I wouldnt have had the 3 week back and forth that I have. You must need a case number for SUK to settle with the dealer??

Correct you still need to open a case with Skoda UK

you can provide that email as back up

Correct you still need to open a case with Skoda UK

you can provide that email as back up

Thought so. After conversations with SUK yesterday, I have just booked mine in with my chosen dealer. They are confused as to why I want mine doing pre-emtively... I mentioned the issues.. they dont know anyhthing about injector issues.

IMHO this thread should stay open....

Sorry, why would you "pin and close the thread" if there is no recall...? All the letter says is "if you already know about the problem, we'll swap them for you"... and what about people who don't know about it?

This letter does not address the fact VAG are ignoring all the other drivers by not notifying them on safety grounds that there is a problem, and they are succeptible to a dangrous breakdown.

A post-failure swap is NOT the solution. I would suggest keeping the thread open and working just a little bit longer to get a recall if nobody minds. I know it is 20 pages long, but 20 pages ago people were getting billed for a defect and other ignored for not having full service history...

I hope maybe in the next page, 5 or however many, we'll be able to announce that VAG has finally recalled these vehicles and that everyone can benefit from this... not just us.

I have already posted on audi-sport...

The last few official letters being sent out from the various VAG customer services have one theme in common:

- They admit fault by refunding everyone

- They admit fault by swapping the parts

- They admit fault by not fighting the issue because they would lose

Except they don’t ever mention they are at fault. As a result we have a few hundred owners who have been refunded, a thousand injectors swapped out… but no instruction from VOSA or VAG, and no attempt, to contact the rest of the 170PS owners who are running around with injectors known to be defective and known to fail.

The safety decision has been made on behalf of these owners, until of course they fail, then they get the official letter, which pretends to look after them by issuing a “goodwill gesture†swap. The official letter also states that customers who feel they may get a failure may seek swaps…

This is where the problem is… this letter is only sent to people who ALREADY know about the issue… what about everyone else?

They don’t want the message to go public to the other owners. They have a duty to inform the customer of a safety issue and rectify it has been fulfilled… voluntarily. Our duty is not to turn a blind eye to this. Many things we benefit from every now and then are because a bunch of people like us, just got together and did it for everyone’s sake, from PPI scams to mislabelling food. A few fight, everyone else benefits.

Please join us, everyone who has been actively pushing the issue for their own sake and for others, and everyone who has just dropping in to say they have bee affected… join us in contacting the BBC Watchdog to highlight the issue in hope that we can get this problem solved pre-emptively for everyone though a recall and not after the dangerous failure has already taken place.

==== BBC WATCHDOG APPEAL===================================

====RECALL 170PS VAG VEHICLES WITH DEFECTIVE SIEMENS INJECTORS===

Date: Sunday 25th September 2011

Link: BBC Watchdog (Got a Story) http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/

Form detail…

Subject: Transport

Sub Category: Cars

Fill in the brief detail section as you see fit. The key points left to address in my opinion are:

- There needs to be a recall

- The injectors are know to be defective and VAG are avoiding a recall

- There are 1000s of owners who will not be made aware of this defect

- The problem affects 2.0L 170PS Skoda, VW Audi, and SEATs

==========================================================

I will be sending my from on Sunday and I hope everyone else does too… if VOSA are complaining about too many forms being sent in, I am sure we have the ability to get this serious issue noticed for when they have their Monday morning meeting. I don’t want to spam them, I just want them to take notice. This will be a one off plea to get heard and I hope they notice.

Please post on other forums and spread the word. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Thought so. After conversations with SUK yesterday, I have just booked mine in with my chosen dealer. They are confused as to why I want mine doing pre-emtively... I mentioned the issues.. they dont know anyhthing about injector issues.

IMHO this thread should stay open....

Mine booked in with local dealer to be checked next week after a week of phonecalls. They have issued me with a case number. On their books now. Lets see what happens :smirk:

As Deneo says print out my email from Skoda CS and take it to the dealer, no need to call Skoda CS.

I was referring to your good self LordLucan, I guess that everyone else would need to log a call with Skoda UK. On another point, if a Skoda does issue a recall, do they get the names of the owners from the DVLA? I bought mine second hand 2 months ago. Skoda would have no Idea I owned this. But I’m sure they have plans when recalls are required. Anyone thought of informing insurance companies? If they don't do a recall, then maybe insurance companies would want to know if a car is likely cut out on the motorway. Although, if this goes to Watchdog, I’m sure the insurances will find out soon enough.

Big thanks to Jfarhead, you should be nominated for road safty of the year award.

My injectors haven't failed yet....... spoke to my local Skoda dealer service guy a few weeks ago and he did a very good impression of the 3 wise monkeys and said what injector problem?!?!

I have now filled out the Watchdog web form and also had a chat with my insurance broker about the issue and potential risk if the engine should cut out on say a very crowded motorway - he did not appear to be a happy bunny when I showed him the details on this forum!

Why on earth would you want to close the thread!?

This thread is invaluable for those affected and should be kept open for those people to share their findings and for others to ask advice.

Why close the thread? Let everibody share impressions about this problem, it is nobody's fault that we have to deal with this things. You will see, there will be problems with the new injectors also, the story will continue after maybe an apparent sollution.

Result!!!!!!

Car went in to Wayside this morning for a diagnostic check and to check what make of injectors I have,I have the siemens type,and just had a phone call from them and good news they are changing the injectors,loom and bolts etc pre-emptivly,so it can be done,can I just say thanks to this forum I would not have known about this problem so they do work,all we have to do now is get VAG to say "we have a problem".Just to say I went to VOSA then Skoda UK,they advised me to get a diagnosic check done and in the end SUK oked it. :thumbup:

Trev

Why close the thread? Let everibody share impressions about this problem, it is nobody's fault that we have to deal with this things. You will see, there will be problems with the new injectors also, the story will continue after maybe an apparent sollution.

Do you have proof of this?

OMG - I cannot believe how totally out of order you are , talk about sly ........... You have removed your name from a post yet you have left a contact name of the person you are emailing in ........Jesus wept have you no concern for this person , who is just a port of call for geniune customer service calls .............This is so out of order do you have no shame ....BANG OUT OF ORDER LORD LUCAN ....HHHHHMMMMMMMMMM

Dear xxxxx

Kind regards

Do you have proof of this?

I have a verbal proof. I spoke here in a VW workshop, off the record. WV Passat 140hp are equiped with Continental injectors, 'S' series. These injectoris already have problems like the old ones. For my car (170hp) there are TX series and no problem for the moment because there are fewer models. This is what a VW mechanic told me.

What you have to do is ask (1) what make are the new injectors - because as I see here nobody knows, it's quite a top secret and (2) ask in service if these new injectors have failed until now.

You can phone to VW Germany Customer Care and ask a connection to Export Department. They can tell you exactly what make are the injectors, if in the UK nobody from the official workshops can tell. It is very strange, don't you think? The phone is +49 (0) 5361 90. I phoned and asked if the injectors for Romania are the same shipped on other markets and they said that are identical. That means that you have Continental (Siemens re-branded), that means that the injectors who fail here will fails also there, like it was until now. I phoned in Germany primarely to find out if the injector problem is only in Romania (maybe because of a lowest fuel quality). They told me that the problem is global.

So, it the problem is global and the new injectors already fail here, I can expect the story to continue (unfortunately).

Edited by geovadim

I have a verbal proof. I spoke here in a VW workshop, off the record. WV Passat 140hp are equiped with Continental injectors, 'S' series. These injectoris already have problems like the old ones. For my car (170hp) there are TX series and no problem for the moment because there are fewer models. This is what a VW mechanic told me.

What you have to do is ask (1) what make are the new injectors - because as I see here nobody knows, it's quite a top secret and (2) ask in service if these new injectors have failed until now.

You can phone to VW Germany Customer Care and ask a connection to Export Department. They can tell you exactly what make are the injectors, if in the UK nobody from the official workshops can tell. It is very strange, don't you think? The phone is +49 (0) 5361 90. I phoned and asked if the injectors for Romania are the same shipped on other markets and they said that are identical. That means that you have Continental (Siemens re-branded), that means that the injectors who fail here will fails also there, like it was until now. I phoned in Germany primarely to find out if the injector problem is only in Romania (maybe because of a lowest fuel quality). They told me that the problem is global.

So, it the problem is global and the new injectors already fail here, I can expect the story to continue (unfortunately).

But of course they are made by the same people. Did you expect someone else to make them? The issue was with oil getting in through a rubber seal and making the injectors short out. This issue has been identified and there are now 2 seals in place to make sure the failure doesn't happen again. I haven't had any problem in finding out what injectors they are putting in. Skoda told me, and told me what the issue was with the failing ones. Are you seeing conspiracy theories my friend? Don’t you believe people landed on the moon?

All the best

Edited by Deneo