VAG 170 PS Diesel Injector Failures - VOSA action

Hi Guys

Been looking through this thread with lots of interest as just about to go down and sign for a Oct 2 on a 60 plate 170 VRS unless i have missed it does this apply to this model or the previous facelift or are they all the same (injector wise)

Any info would be appreciated specially as i have just bought done everything but sign for it

Cheers Stewy

Hi,

A 60 plate will not be affected as it is fitted with the Common Rail Engine.

It is only the PD170 (in Skoda anyway) that has the Siemens Piezo injectors.

Hi,

A 60 plate will not be affected as it is fitted with the Common Rail Engine.

It is only the PD170 (in Skoda anyway) that has the Siemens Piezo injectors.

Onmeheadson.....appreciate the reply as i just about had my heart set on one, now just need to decided wether or not to go estate or hatch

Cheers mate

Stewy

You mean saloon or estate right? Estate... Precious space, precious precious space :)

Jfarhead, saloon or estate?? estate was the only onption till i opened up the "hatch" on the saloon :rofl: me thought it was a boot to find out that the whole thing lifted which made my choice a bit more interesting....

So yeah a saloon car...............with a hatch :rofl: :rofl:

Stewy

oooooooooh you are right indeed, now that I think about it, I did consider the Octavia hatch as a size-upgrade from my saloon A4 specifically because of the massive opening the hatch provides (for double stroller)... you don't get restricted by the limited opening of a saloon and get to use the full volume...

HOWEVER... I ended up going for an estate because the area above the "hatch" in the Octavia is dead space otherwise, I can stack things vertically and don't have to worry about the boot sloping down... I don't own triangular suitcases or strollers... you also get a long roofline in an estate if you ever want to put a rack on top... you have a wider range of rear-mounted cycle racks to choose from, and if you drop the seats, you can get a clean rectangular volume available to fit more stuff in...

I went for a 5 series BMW touring (nothing against VAG) but I got better value and more usable space than an A6 Avant or Octavia after we did the "strollers and shopping" test on the forcourt, and putting two car seats in the back to see if the middle seat is still usable (you can fit someone skinny, which you couldn't in the A4 or A6)...

... and my wife loved the panoramic sunroof and colour (the latter being the single most important factor when choosing a vehicle)...

Jfarhad my friend yo are right.....colour must always match summitt haha i had an A4 and was going to get another but everytime i go to see one they look like they have been driven over a field peeps just dont look after things like they should B)

I only need one as have a german shepard.....and altough the estate will give me more room the hatch (saloon haha) is masive with the seats down anyway and they fold completey flat.....so its probs the hatch for me i think.....for now anyway ha

Right, my car is in at the garage at the moment. The injectors and wiring loom have been changed FOC :)

But, surprise surprise they've found a load of other problems that add up to about a grand.

Apparently all discs and pads are 80% worn (45000 miles on the car), both front shocks are leaking and theres a nail in one of the tyres.

Hhhmmmmmmm.

Just had call from the dealer - parts have been ordered - once in they will arrange a date for free install :) Hopefully they won't find anything else wrong! Sorry to hear onmeheadson..

Has anyone had the injectors replaced on their car that has been remapped? Are the injectors coded by skoda and would there be any "issues" with a non standard MAP being on the car?

regards,

Fitz

My car was remapped, but I didn't tell Skoda. No problems with new injectors :)

Well I've got the car back and seems well, touch wood.

Trouble is the only paperwork they gave me is a plain piece of paper that has my name, the job no and a description of the work done, reg no, my signature and date on it. It's not even on letter headed paper. There's also a visual check sheet highlighting some other issues they've come across.

Anyone else who has this work done, what paperwork were you given? I'm going to call Simon at Skoda CS on Monday and explain this to him. Really I'd like something a bit more official.

Well I've got the car back and seems well, touch wood.

Trouble is the only paperwork they gave me is a plain piece of paper that has my name, the job no and a description of the work done, reg no, my signature and date on it. It's not even on letter headed paper. There's also a visual check sheet highlighting some other issues they've come across.

Anyone else who has this work done, what paperwork were you given? I'm going to call Simon at Skoda CS on Monday and explain this to him. Really I'd like something a bit more official.

I've been in touch with Skoda uk and my car is booked into my local dealer on Friday. It's getting checked on the diagnostics machine first to determine if the injectors need replaced. Is this the same procedure that other people have had with pre-emptive replacements? I'm preparing myself to be told that the injectors are fine and they won't be replacing them lol.

I've been in touch with Skoda uk and my car is booked into my local dealer on Friday. It's getting checked on the diagnostics machine first to determine if the injectors need replaced. Is this the same procedure that other people have had with pre-emptive replacements? I'm preparing myself to be told that the injectors are fine and they won't be replacing them lol.

No, mine were changed without the need for a diagnostic check.

Seems a bit odd that they wouldn't. I got mine changed without much aggro at all, which i was surprised about but others seem to be having a few problems.

Have you spoken to VOSA? I did and they passed on my details to Skoda CS. Give them a call and explain what's happening, they may be able to put some pressure on.

Had my car back on August 5th after injector replacement courtesy of Skoda UK and car has been running really well since its return.....that was until last week when the DPF light came on.

Wasn't overly concerned and managed to get on a dual carriageway, so after a 10 imniute spell of 50+mph it went out but it came on again the following day just as I joined the M4. Again it went off after 5-10minutes but on both occasions, and also when pulling away from junctions since, hard acceleration surprisingly didn't result in plumes of black smoke from the exhaust. This made me think that the filter isn't that clogged up, and it might be a result of having an injector failure and some excess fuel getting into the DPF.

I know this might seem slightly off topic but am curious to find out if its happened to anyone else since having an injector failure and subsequent replacement?

James

This is exactly the response I had from SUK. The car went through diagnostics and showed no faults. A follow up call from Simon at SUK stated that any problems would have shown on the diagnostics and that there was therefore no issue with the injectors on my car - but that if they did subsequently fail they would replace them under 'goodwill' on cars up to 7 years old.

Strange. Why are they changing some and not others? Maybe not all PD170 engines are fitted with the dodgy injectors although i was under the impression that they are?

I would assume that there is a genuine logical reason determining which cars are worthy of a change and which ones aren't?

Just had all my injectors replaced on a Seat Altea FR TDi. Same engine as the PD skoda.

Total bill will £1900 but all courtesy of Seat UK. I just e-mailed VOSA and Seat contacted me.

Apparently I was told BMN & BNN engines are the ones with the dodgy injectors.

I would recommend anybody who is concerned to e-mail VOSA. I had no bother after I had.

Car has done 83K on a "56" plate.