vRS Joe's Fabia I vRS - GTB Turbo!

vRS Joe

Good to hear it's back on track, how much are the costs for the ARL head bolts and fitment? If you didn't mind me asking.

As I know of another member using the same setup and has mentioned the head lifting also.

Good to hear it's back on track, how much are the costs for the ARL head bolts and fitment? If you didn't mind me asking.

As I know of another member using the same setup and has mentioned the head lifting also.

They are 30 quid plus VAT plus an hours labour to fit. I did it because of what happened to a GTB1756'd Polo (Tom's - he has the head studs now which are almost 300 quid I believe) Darkside now recommend the ARL bolts are fitted with this turbo.

glad you got it sorted Joe, is the head lift a problem with the BLT engines or does it effect the ASZ too? More power from a BLT is that the reason?

I'm not sure if the heads are any different to be honest. I doubt that the BLT's 'extra power' as standard will trouble the head.

New problems though - this turbo is quite noisy under boost, a lot more so than the other one. It feels even faster for some reason though, maybe it just sounds faster!

I'll try and get a video of it.

Joe

Did they run it on the dyno seeing as you were back mate? Replaced with brand new or second hand blower? Interesting re head lift..what boost pressure do they run? What happened to Toms mate?

Did they run it on the dyno seeing as you were back mate? Replaced with brand new or second hand blower? Interesting re head lift..what boost pressure do they run? What happened to Toms mate?

The Dyno was busy, they had some crazy racing buggy strapped to it I think. The Turbo is new and they run 31 PSI according to DS.

I'll PM you now mate

Yeh mine was lifting. I ran mine in that state for about 12k which really killed it!

Had the head skimmed now and the super bolts put in. Been fine ever since :)

Ive heard of others who have had minor cooling issues solved by the ARL bolts. So anyone running without, get em in!

• 3 weeks later...

It was great meeting you at Combe mate. Your car looked superb too. I loved the wheels :)

Thanks mate, was really good to meet you too.

I now need a Golf R32 wheel in my life, it set your interior off really well!

Thanks :) yeah it is great. It's nice and chunky. If you can't find a genuine r32 wheel go for something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-4-MK4-GTI-GTD-R32-STEERING-WHEEL-EXCHANGE-SERVICE-FLAT-BOTTOM-THICK-/260965513161?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cc2c1b7c9

You could get the stitching done to match your seats :)

• 5 months later...

Update,

The blue wheels have now been removed and sold to another Fabia vRS owner as track wheels. I have reverted back to the standard alloys.

Also I have damaged the Cupra splitter so that's coming off too.

Apart from the twin tip exhaust the car appears standard - Looks can be deceiving!!

It's booked in for a dyno run in a couple of weeks, I'm hoping to see 220+ hp fingers crossed!

Joe

• Like 3

The blue wheels have gone to a good home :) 

Thanks for taking me out in your car too Joe, certainly feels different to a PD150 and pulls like a mofo! I like the turbo spool you can hear on the GTB turbo's - reminded me of when I test drove a 330d. 

I think you should get some Federal 595RS-R's on your 16's (cheeeap on Camskill). Stealthy, and you'd be able to use the power too which kinda helps! 

• Like 1

The blue wheels have gone to a good home :) 

Thanks for taking me out in your car too Joe, certainly feels different to a PD150 and pulls like a mofo! I like the turbo spool you can hear on the GTB turbo's - reminded me of when I test drove a 330d. 

I think you should get some Federal 595RS-R's on your 16's (cheeeap on Camskill). Stealthy, and you'd be able to use the power too which kinda helps!

Are those tyres road legal?

• 2 weeks later...

Dyno Figures - 226hp and 370 lb/ft

JoeFabiaAfterHardcut.jpg

The dip in figures in the mid range is a bit of a mystery, It's not there on the road. I'm pretty impressed with peak torque being at just 2500rpm.

The car had a hardcut limiter put on the map too. I haven't really had chance to 'test' it yet but will report back when I have.

The map was altered slightly to up the fuel above 4200rpm too  :happy:

I was suitably entertained at Darkside too. I went out in a GTB2260'd Fabia with LSD which was a complete animal, even with stock injectors and circa 240bhp. There was also a tuned up Audi B8 A4 V6 tdi which sounded awesome with a custom exhaust - It sounded more like an RS4 I thought at first.

Joe

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did a couple of little things today. The old number plate bulbs were a joke, sooo dim.

IMG_0011.jpg

Also fitted some LED cree front sidelight bulbs. With my old LED sidelights I had a total of 16 LED's, now down to 2 but a massive improvement. They are much brighter and match the colour of the D2S bulbs in my dipped beam perfectly aswell!

It's was a massive pain to fit them as there is so little space to work when you the xenon projector headlights.

Here is an after shot with just the sidelights on, you get the idea...Bright!

IMG_0041.jpg

Joe

• Like 1

Nice one Joe.

Need pics of the Cree LEDs :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321290590487

The reason the output is so good is the light source is behind a projector.

You can get ones that have extra surface mount diodes on the stalk of the bulb too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-CREE-Q5-CANBUS-T10-501-W5W-5050-SMD-8-LED-Light-Bulb-Wedge-Downlight-White-/350919830280?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51b473ab08

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Little update today. The old Koni FSD dampers I've had for some 18 months (I was the 3rd owner!) were well past there best so I replaced with another fixed height set-up, from KW. WOW the handling is so much more precise, it's like a go cart now but doesn't seem to be any less comfortable!

http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/st-by-kw-20mm-sport-lowering-springs-shocks-suspension-kitbr-fabia-6y-vrs-19tdi-0300-p-3223.html

I've just been out and had some serious fun on some very wet B roads.

• Like 3

Sounds good Joe :)

I won't be able to laugh at your wheel bouncing now next time I'm behind you! ;)

Whats the height like compared to before?