Brake fluid change and bleed

Morning All

I need to change the read pads, and maybe the discs on my Elegance estate, while I was at it I was considering a fluid change.

The problem is, I have no off street area to do this, and it's not something I've done before. I've done a break bleed on an older car without ABS where you can just pump the pedal.

I have no issue in changing the pads & discs myself, how diffidcult is the fluid change and drain, and if I were to opt instead for a garage to do it, how much would you expect to pay?

Tom

To do the brake fluid change you need a preasure bleeder (ezi bleed etc)do not use the pump the pedal method as it can damage the master cyl seals,im guessing a garage would charge £50 upwards to do the fluid change,its not a bad job to do if you have the correct equipment.

How much fluid would I need for a full replacement?

I've just spoken to 2 garages and the local dealer, amazingly the dealer is cheapest at £59.50 for a complete brake fluid change.

Tom

2 Litres will be enough to do a fluid change.

I've only got the price for 500 ml of fluid to hand, and that was a fiver from the local AutoSave. So at something towards £20 for the fluid and only having the street to do it in, and only 1 set of axle stands to lift the car with, £60 was tempting.

Even more tempting is I've just tried Car Clinic, they only want £42!

They did however want £210 for doing the discs and pads, so I'll do those myself.

Tom

How much fluid would I need for a full replacement?

I've just spoken to 2 garages and the local dealer, amazingly the dealer is cheapest at £59.50 for a complete brake fluid change.

Tom

Last September my local Skoda dealer charged half an hour labour (£35.50) and one litre of brake fluid (£7.03) to which you need to add VAT which, at the old rate, I make £49.97 total.

The work was not stand alone as they were also doing a service and MOT but it gives you a guide.

Tbh mate I'd get someone to do it. An eezibleed is also 17 notes from screwfix so it will mount up and not being able to have the car off the road.

You don't need to get the carr all the way off the floor anyway. Just do the sequence one wheel at a time.

Least if you do it yourself you know its done proper. Itook mine in to 2 places and both buggered it up.

I personally have lost all faith in mechanics round here only gettin the things done I can't do. (Pressing bearings, cam belt, changing clutch anf gearbox)are the only things I can think of.

Pros and cons to either route.

2l brake fluid is ample (prob get away with 1.5 tho as you don't need to get any air out)

EEzibleeder(£17 from screwfix)

8mm spanner/socket(2 MC nipples)

11mm ring spanner(rest of the calliper nipples, and the clutch nipple iirc)

Empty bottle(to collect old fluid. Poke a hole in lid and put pipe it so its secure so you can luft the bottle by the pipe)

Some soapy water and some clean wayer and an old paintbrush(just to clean off any fluid spilt when removing the bleed pipe from nipple)

All that is assuming the nipples are the same size as thoes on the v34 brakes

Billy

Well this is were I stand...

Local part supplier is £15 for rear pads and £26 for read discs and £10 for the retractor tool.

Skoda are £33 for the rear pads and £24 (each) for the discs.

I've got a quote of £42 from a garage (Car Clinic) or £48 from Skoda for the drain and refill - it was £60, but because the car is older than 4 years you get a 31% discount on labour and 10% on parts?!

So I think I'll check the discs, confirm if they do need doing, get the pads (and discs if needed) from Skoda, the tool from the local parts people and fir them myself. Then I'll get the car booked in for a fluid refresh at Skoda, £6 extra to have it done by Skoda who should know what they're doing must be worth it.

I don't have to worry about catching and disposing of the old fluid, I don't have to worry about access to the bleed nipple etc, or jacking the corners one by one (which would require turning the car round twice to avoid being sat in the middle of the road!).

Now I wonder what the chances are of getting the Skoda chappy to check the timing while he's got it plugged in?

Tom

Edited by tomsimmons

Now I wonder what the chances are of getting the Skoda chappy to check the timing while he's got it plugged in?

Why would they have it plugged in?

I'm sure they would but expect to pay half hour diagnosis at least depending if the engine is hot or not.

There is no need to bleed the master cylinder if the system has remained closed. Bleeding from the caliper will change all the fluid. The bleed nipples on the master cylinder are only there for the first bleed from an empty system.

Cheers for that,

worth knowing.

OP sounds like a good plan to me

Why would they have it plugged in?

I'm sure they would but expect to pay half hour diagnosis at least depending if the engine is hot or not.

I was assuming the bleed after a full drain would require the ABS pump activation.

Tom

Why didn't I stop thinking about this after my final plan?

I just contacted Sere (someone on here is always pushing them ;) ), they are £67 delivered for OE Seat parts, as apposed to the £82 from Skoda, and then Jorily (who I'm reluctant to use again) are £55 delivered for for Febi parts.

Tom

Edited by tomsimmons

When changing the brake fluid you do NOT drain the system.

Bleeding out and topping up the system is the method used and keeps the system free of air. For doing a fluid change ABS and non ABS or even ESP systems are all the same.

In fact I can even bleed a system after changing an ESP unit without doing an activated bleed.

When changing the brake fluid you do NOT drain the system.

Bleeding out and topping up the system is the method used and keeps the system free of air. For doing a fluid change ABS and non ABS or even ESP systems are all the same.

In fact I can even bleed a system after changing an ESP unit without doing an activated bleed.

I was unaware of this until your previous post, good to know though, thanks.

I assume that any air that might be in the system would be bled through with this approach?

Tom

Hi mate, it would be me who put you onto Sere Motors

Only reason I mention them is because often they are cheaper than all the OE or aftermarket parts mentioned on here, but you are getting genuine VAG stuff at trade price (often less than TPS!!!).

David is a top bloke too and you only need to go on the seat forums to see how much business he gets

Hi mate, it would be me who put you onto Sere Motors

Only reason I mention them is because often they are cheaper than all the OE or aftermarket parts mentioned on here, but you are getting genuine VAG stuff at trade price (often less than TPS!!!).

David is a top bloke too and you only need to go on the seat forums to see how much business he gets

I thought it was you, then just when I tried to find a reference I couldn't. :)

You are right, his price beats Skoda & TPS, in fact the only cheaper option is Jorily - but I'd prefer not to deal with them, and the local factor who sell Drive Tex parts. Drive Tec are owned by either Camberly Auto Factors or Parts Alliance and Jorily sell Febi parts

Anyone tried Drive Tec?

So at the moment he's looking very good indeed.

Tom