Have I done this right?

Hi,

I've just attempted to plug the EGR in my BLT Fabia vRS with a golf tee. I seemed too easy to be true. Please can those in the know just confirm wheter or not what I have done is correct.

016.jpg

Thanks

Nearly but not quite. Your golf tee needs to go in the end of the pipe that you pulled off, i.e. to stop the vacuum pump from pulling crud into the pipe and possibly knackering the vacuum pump itself. You don't need to do anything with the brass pipe on the flying saucer, the EGR is naturally closed so it'll just stay in that position.

Remove 'Tee' put rubber-pipe back-on and squeeze rubber pipe tight with plastic tie,

this will seal pipe and keeps everything nice and tidy.

Sounds good, I've got half a fuse sticking out of the rubber pipe presently, it looks like a right bodj!

Thats the anti-shudder valve connection (Noticed it not shutting down as cleanly since you did this? :D). The EGR one is down the back of the little lump to the left. :)

Hi Jason, Which one do you mean...Red or green arrow? p.s mines a BLT engine code.

016-1.jpg

I've just shut the engine off a few times...I've not noticed any abnormal shudder.

Cheers

Thats the anti-shudder valve connection (Noticed it not shutting down as cleanly since you did this? :D). The EGR one is down the back of the little lump to the left. :)

Er, what? Really? Cos that's arse-backwards from the EGR on my old Leon then. The flying saucer on top on a PD150 is for the EGR, the vacuum moves the plunger and allows exhaust gas to enter from the bottom of the EGR valve. The one on the back (closest to the bulkhead) controlled the ASV flap. I assumed the Fabia PD130 would be the same as I bought an Ibiza PD130 EGR valve to turn into a stealth race pipe and it was identical to the one on the Leon (EGR operated from the top, ASV operated from the bulkhead side).

From the pic and experience of my Leon, I would say he's disconnected the right pipe (check the golf tee in the flying saucer), just plugged the wrong end.

Edited by gavinchappell

No other way around mate, ASV on the left (electrical operation) EGR on the right (Vacuum)

The EGR recycles exhaust gases and puts them through the intake a second time, so performance can be reduced (as an engine runs best with fresh, clean air), it can clog up and cause the engine to become starved of air and start to smoke as the fuel/air mixture is wrong. On BLT engines the design of the EGR was changed in some way for emissions reasons (Euro IV vs Euro III) which can cause a "stutter" on acceleration. Removing the EGR valve gets rid of all those possible problems, and some people say increases the MPG, presumably because with clean air the engine can run more efficiently.

The EGR valve is still there it just won't be able to function and will log a code.

Can it be mapped out ?

read a few threads and most of them contradict each other, as it seems when talking about this. nobody can say what fkin engine they have lol

Mines a ASZ