Amundson Sat Nav Disc

Hi all

Just joined the forum today having had my Octavia Estate just over a week. I was also bit confused by what 'toys' I did and didn't get. The salesmen seemed a bit hesitant to give me a brochure when I test drove it the weekend before and he generally didn't seem to know what spec was on the different models.

I got the 1.4TSI SE Plus and expected to have the integrated 6 CD changer as per the list of 'Standard Equipment (over SE) in the brochure but because the Amundsen Sat Nav comes as standard on the SE Plus, it seems you can only play a single CD. A misleading brochure!!

I got 3 DVDs with my Sat Nav. One to load it up and the two map discs, one for the UK and one for Europe. He suggested I load it up onto an SD card but I certainly didn't have to take the discs back!

I also got a spare wheel in the boot which I don't believe comes as standard and I definitely didn't order or pay for it.

Having read this thread it sounds like different dealers give you different bits for your money.

FWIW, I paid £13k for mine.

Reading other threads, it seems that Skoda have temporarily run out of Boleros, so are fitting (the better) Amundsen in the meantime. This will be why you were expecting a 6 CD Changer (Bolero) and got single CD and Satnav (Amundsen). Lucky you!

By the way, excellent price on your car.

• 3 weeks later...

Further to my last. New sat nav disc worked fine until last week. Went down to Plymouth to see my son. Just after Taunton the satnav completely lost it. Said that I was off road whilst I was travelling on the M5. Would not pick up at all. On the way back I was hoping that it was just a sat error and that all would kick in when I got to Taunton area, no such luck. At one stage, around Bristol I think, it put me in Poole, Dorset. Have tried it with both Disc and SD card. It still puts me anywhere but home. Car is going in for first service tomorrow, and a good check of the satnav system.

Watch this space........

Further to my last. New sat nav disc worked fine until last week. Went down to Plymouth to see my son. Just after Taunton the satnav completely lost it. Said that I was off road whilst I was travelling on the M5. Would not pick up at all. On the way back I was hoping that it was just a sat error and that all would kick in when I got to Taunton area, no such luck. At one stage, around Bristol I think, it put me in Poole, Dorset. Have tried it with both Disc and SD card. It still puts me anywhere but home. Car is going in for first service tomorrow, and a good check of the satnav system.

Watch this space........

Car had first service yesterday, all ok as expected. Radio/satnav checked, radio has been updated, but the fault with the satnav appears to be in the ariel. There are three 'modules' at the base of the ariel that deal with the satnav, and the engineer believes one is faulty. He has sent off the diagnostics to Skoda U.K. to confirm. Its under warranty so all should be o.k. just waiting for the telephone call to confirm.

I just got my new octavia II yesterday with amundsen headunit

But it didn't come with any cds or SD cards

Can anyone send me a copy?

I tried to copy my cd to use as a back up. Went to check it with the Amundsen and it recognised it straight away as a copy - "Computer says No" as they said in the tv series........ If you can't get one off your dealer, I would look at the link from 175GDY on 18 Sept a few posts back.

Edited by PeteMal

Ok can anyone tell me which map format is supportted?

I can search the web for it

Agree with Mannyo - Go back to your dealer and insist. You paid for the car with the satnav and need the disc for it to work.

Hi, We have just traded in our 3 year old Roomster for a shiny new Octavia Estate. It came with the Amundson Sat Nav and when we picked it up, the sales guy said he had just realised that it couldn't play cd's while the sat nav was running unless you copied the data to a SD card. He had already done that apparently, but left the CD in the car downloading onto the SD card as we drove the car home. That was yesterday evening when we picked the car up. He phone this afternoon and asked my husband to bring back the CD as he needs it for another car. We have never had a Sat nav before, so scuse me if this sounds thick!!!

My questions are: if the sat nav only runs with the CD (with the option to download onto SD card) then surely that disc belongs to us?

Is there any difference in operation between the SD card and the disc?

If it runs better of the disc, then why have we been charged for this option, cos it sounds a crap deal to me?

What would you do?

I was surprised that we didn't have our 6 cd changer unit, I presume that that is because that runs with the other sound system. We were never told that we wouldn't get that and I am a bit miffed, as it seems to me that we have paid for something that is worse that we would have had as standard in terms of our usability.

Anyone any views on what our next step should be?

Hi, the disc is yours and supplied along with the handbook for the sat nav. You can copy the data to an SD card and it works fine and when updates come available they can be transfered to the SD card from the CD.

• 2 weeks later...

Car had first service yesterday, all ok as expected. Radio/satnav checked, radio has been updated, but the fault with the satnav appears to be in the ariel. There are three 'modules' at the base of the ariel that deal with the satnav, and the engineer believes one is faulty. He has sent off the diagnostics to Skoda U.K. to confirm. Its under warranty so all should be o.k. just waiting for the telephone call to confirm.

Well the new bit for the base of the ariel came last week, was fitted, but no change with the satnav. Everything checked again and rechecked with Skoda uk, believe the head unit is u.s. Had new head unit fitted today, that partially cured it. By partially, I mean that it did say that the car was in Lincoln, but when they took it for a test drive it didn't say that the car was moving in the right direction!. Complete new ariel block added and hey presto it works now. Seems it was combination of original head unit and ariel block at base of ariel.

Have to give credit to the people at Horton Skoda who worked hard to fix it, and to the front desk ladies who made sure I had plenty of coffee whilst waiting.

Just took delivery of a Fabia Estate with Amundsen sat nav as with many members once again no disk supplied so I visited the dealer and asked for the disk which he was quite willing to supply but after checking he said “Having checked you have the very latest sat nav fitted and the installation is pre loaded at the factory and we no longer get a disk†I checked the SD slot which is empty and a CD can be played whilst the sat nav is being used, in fact it seems to perform very similar to the Columbus I had in the Superb even down to the using the phone but with the advantage of being able to enter the full post code but as stated if a disk does come with the sat nav I would obviously like to have it. Can any members in the know confirm or refute the info I was given?

Edited by stan7746

Just took delivery of a Fabia Estate with Amundsen sat nav as with many members once again no disk supplied so I visited the dealer and asked for the disk which he was quite willing to supply but after checking he said “Having checked you have the very latest sat nav fitted and the installation is pre loaded at the factory and we no longer get a disk†I checked the SD slot which is empty and a CD can be played whilst the sat nav is being used, in fact it seems to perform very similar to the Columbus I had in the Superb even down to the using the phone but with the advantage of being able to enter the full post code but as stated if a disk does come with the sat nav I would obviously like to have it. Can any members in the know confirm or refute the info I was given?

Aren't there two version of the Admunsen - Admundsen (which needs disk but the maps can be copied to SD card) and Admundsen + (which doesn't need as it has the maps factory loaded internally to flash ram)?

Edited by io1901

Hi there picked up my New Greenline II Estate 3 weeks ago and it came with an Amundsen Sat Nav instead of the 6 Disc CD Changer that it should have come with, result. As I live in Germany as a member of the forces, I was pleased to see that it came with two discs, GB & Ireland and Main routes Europe. The europe one is garbage though, as it will take you to a town or city but that is it. Can anyone help with where I can get a copy of a full European map from. Thanks in advance. Kenny.

Many thanks for your comments and sorry for the delay in responding, I can confirm I have the Admundsen + system which by the way seems very good but was concerned that a disk was not supplied but it would seem by the information from the dealer plus your comments this Plus system does not have one.

No does not have digital audio broadcast to be honest never expected it would but I can say picks up my mobile a lot quicker than the Columbus in my Superb, the sat nav is much more user friendly and have over 6 hours of MP3 on a single CD which saves the need for CD changer so am quite happy

Edited by stan7746

Hi, We have just traded in our 3 year old Roomster for a shiny new Octavia Estate. It came with the Amundson Sat Nav and when we picked it up, the sales guy said he had just realised that it couldn't play cd's while the sat nav was running unless you copied the data to a SD card. He had already done that apparently, but left the CD in the car downloading onto the SD card as we drove the car home. That was yesterday evening when we picked the car up. He phone this afternoon and asked my husband to bring back the CD as he needs it for another car. We have never had a Sat nav before, so scuse me if this sounds thick!!!

My questions are: if the sat nav only runs with the CD (with the option to download onto SD card) then surely that disc belongs to us?

Is there any difference in operation between the SD card and the disc?

If it runs better of the disc, then why have we been charged for this option, cos it sounds a crap deal to me?

What would you do?

I was surprised that we didn't have our 6 cd changer unit, I presume that that is because that runs with the other sound system. We were never told that we wouldn't get that and I am a bit miffed, as it seems to me that we have paid for something that is worse that we would have had as standard in terms of our usability.

Anyone any views on what our next step should be?

Hi there picked up my New Greenline II Estate 3 weeks ago and it came with an Amundsen Sat Nav instead of the 6 Disc CD Changer that it should have come with, result. As I live in Germany as a member of the forces, I was pleased to see that it came with two discs, GB & Ireland and Main routes Europe. The europe one is garbage though, as it will take you to a town or city but that is it. Can anyone help with where I can get a copy of a full European map from. Thanks in advance. Kenny.

Have a look at the link posted by 175GDY on page 3 of this thread. Not sure if that one gives full european coverage, but it could be worth checking out. P

• 1 year later...