Middle Lane "Hoggers" and Undertaking

My_Yeti

Perhaps it's like that during peak time (which I usually avoid) but...either way, it's hardly safe is it?

Oh good god no. It's a risky, fast road.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try the M2 in kent: lorries heading to the port in lane one and always one self righteous twit in lane two doing 70 and holding people up ggggrrrr :(

There plenty of outside lane hogs doing the statutory 70mph. I even know what they are saying to themselves, " I'm driving at the maximum 70mph and no one is going to pass ME" Usually retired folk or Eco warriors on a mission. What they don't realise is their Speedo may be inaccurate and they may only be doing 65mph. Hope they do get fined for lane hogging.

One thing that occurs to me:

If I am travelling at say an exact 70mph, as calibrated by the satnav, how can I be hogging any lane as no one should be catching up to me or bneed to overtake?

Not thiat I would do it of course!

By definition hogging a lane requires you to be going slower than the speed limit and slowing down other traffic.

This is why this concept does not exist in America. With the 55mph speed limit all lanes can travel at that speed, so it really doesn't matter which lane you are in on a busy road.

By definition hogging a lane requires you to be going slower than the speed limit and slowing down other traffic.

This is why this concept does not exist in America. With the 55mph speed limit all lanes can travel at that speed, so it really doesn't matter which lane you are in on a busy road.

Doh ! :o

Because in America you are legally entitled to undertake

Sorry I have not trawled through all the replys, but my point on undertaking is it is quite legal, I drive an HGV and do it almost everyday because stupid car drivers just sit there in a world of their own. I have always been told you cannot undertake, move over, overtake and carry on gaining ground, undertaking not to make progress is standard practice. HGVs and any towing vehicle are not permitted in the (sucide) 3rd lane, HGVs are also restricted to 40mph single carrigeway, 50mph dual carrigeway and 60mph on Motorways.

Sorry I have not trawled through all the replys, but my point on undertaking is it is quite legal, I drive an HGV and do it almost everyday because stupid car drivers just sit there in a world of their own. I have always been told you cannot undertake, move over, overtake and carry on gaining ground, undertaking not to make progress is standard practice. HGVs and any towing vehicle are not permitted in the (sucide) 3rd lane, HGVs are also restricted to 40mph single carrigeway, 50mph dual carrigeway and 60mph on Motorways.

do you work, sorry drive for Eddie??

Middle lane hoggers or MLA's (middle lane a55holes) cause a lot of the congestion on the motorways. On the Friday of the Royal wedding I was travelling south on the M1 around 7pm and there were 2 cars cleary travelling together sitting in the middle lane for mile after mile when the inside lane was empty. Following drivers had to speed up to join into the outside lane flow of traffic causing the drivers in the outside lane to slow, then drivers in middle lane start to bunch, because they can't move over to the outside lane, then drivers in the inside lane find they are travelling faster than the other 2 lanes and catch up with the 2 cars hogging the middle lane. Technically there is congestion and the inside lane drivers can now pass the slower traffic on their right, while the drivers in the middle lane have to overtake.

After I passed the 2 cars I moved over to the inside lane and you've guest the 2 cars were still in the middle lane.

Some times the matrix signs show 'move to the left unless overtaking'and you see half a dozen cars move from the middle lane to the inside lane.

One thing that occurs to me:

If I am travelling at say an exact 70mph, as calibrated by the satnav, how can I be hogging any lane as no one should be catching up to me or bneed to overtake?

Not thiat I would do it of course!

Highway Code Rule 264

"You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-limittered vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by the police, HA traffic officers in uniform or by signs."

Ok, where does it say "unless you are travelling at the ruling speed limit" or anything similar in that?