Picked up new Yeti Today

Gnasher

I had to go to the Midlands today from Poole to pick up my new Yeti. 2.0 TDI 4X4 (170) Elegance in Brilliant Silver. I travelled up by train and then drove 250 miles to get home so got to get a good feel for it. I averaged 46mg mainly on motorways, so for a new tight engine I am impressed - I hope to get better when it loosens up.

First impressions, very comfortable, and the the engine becomes very smooth when it warms up. The steering has plenty of feel and it feels planted on the road, though not too sure about 6 speed gearbox, it just seems to be one too many gears (I had similar opinions with the same gearbox on my last car a VW, so maybe more to do with my driving style). The Bolero stereo is amazing. I played Pink Floyd - The Wall and Steely Dan - Aja from SD card on the way back, both sounded superb.

Edited by Gnasher

Enjoy! :rofl::) I think you are one of several who have collected their new cars today.

I felt the same about my 170 when I drove it home from dealer - also a long trip. Mine is now loosening up nicely (nearly 4k miles) and I can now see high 60's mpg on the (admittedly over reading) maxidot when driven gently. The extra gear is odd at first, but you'll soon get used to it. I find that in normal town 30mph limits I don't get higher than 4th gear very often. 5th is usable from about 40mph and 6th a little higher. I don't let the engine labour in any gear.

Don't forget to post some pics.

Andy

Enjoy! :rofl::) I think you are one of several who have collected their new cars today.

I felt the same about my 170 when I drove it home from dealer - also a long trip. Mine is now loosening up nicely (nearly 4k miles) and I can now see high 60's mpg on the (admittedly over reading) maxidot when driven gently. The extra gear is odd at first, but you'll soon get used to it. I find that in normal town 30mph limits I don't get higher than 4th gear very often. 5th is usable from about 40mph and 6th a little higher. I don't let the engine labour in any gear.

Andy

I can only repeat what has already been said. Welcome to Snow Monster ownership emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

That is interesting about the gears, as the 140DSG will trundle along in 5th at about 30mph and 6th at 40mph...maybe the 170 is higher geared and therefore will use less fuel on the motorways. It certainly seems to be reflected in peoples fuel consumption figures. I wonder what the 140 manual box is like.

I had to go to the Midlands today from Poole to pick up my new Yeti. 2.0 TDI 4X4 (170) Elegance in Brilliant Silver. I travelled up by train and then drove 250 miles to get home so got to get a good feel for it. I averaged 46mg mainly on motorways, so for a new tight engine I am impressed - I hope to get better when it loosens up.

First impressions, very comfortable, and the the engine becomes very smooth when it warms up. The steering has plenty of feel and it feels planted on the road, though not too sure about 6 speed gearbox, it just seems to be one too many gears (I had similar opinions with the same gearbox on my last car a VW, so maybe more to do with my driving style). The Bolero stereo is amazing. I played Pink Floyd - The Wall and Steely Dan - Aja from SD card on the way back, both sounded superb.

An interesting read for me as I will be collecting my Yeti 170 on Thursday. The fuel consumption you report encourages me - it was one reason for my choice of a 170 4x4 and I suspect gentle driving might even better the figures you mention particularly when it loosens up. Your comments and responses to your comments re the gearbox are also of interest as I have never had a manual 6 speed before and was a bit concerned about the best gears for tootling along.

Enjoy your car - I'm certainly looking forward to mine next week.

An interesting read for me as I will be collecting my Yeti 170 on Thursday. The fuel consumption you report encourages me - it was one reason for my choice of a 170 4x4 and I suspect gentle driving might even better the figures you mention particularly when it loosens up. Your comments and responses to your comments re the gearbox are also of interest as I have never had a manual 6 speed before and was a bit concerned about the best gears for tootling along.

If I remember rightly from my test drive the dash display has a gear change indicator prompting to change gear for optimum fuel economy - there again I could be wrong as I was a tad bit excited about driving the Yeti demo and I had just stalled the blooming thing about 50m outside the dealership! :p

(Edit: spelling)

not too sure about 6 speed gearbox, it just seems to be one too many gears

That 6th gear is ace! French motorways to the Alps, 80mph, cruise control switched on, quiet, smooth and comfortable.

Lovely engine, the CR170. Welcome to the club! :yes:

If I remember rightly from my test drive the dash display has a gear change indicator prompting to change gear for optimum fuel economy - there again I could be wrong as I was a tad bit excited about driving the Yeti demo and I had just stalled the blooming thing about 50m outside the dealership! :p

(Edit: spelling)

Test drive - really - er I've never had a test drive - my journey away from the dealers on Thursday will be my first in a Yeti. Hopefully I will do nothing worse than stall it !!!!

I did book a test drive on that LHD Yeti they got in for one day a long while before they were available in the UK - which was touring the UK dealerships. Arrived for the appointment, took one look at it and decided I didn't like it and gave someone else my place in the queue. I have obviously changed my mind somewhat since then !!!

For folks who wish to comment - I usually do massive amounts of research on a car I intend to buy but have rarely test driven one in the past. |And I've never been disappointed with my choice. I am confident that run of luck will continue with the Yeti.

Andy

My previous car had a 6 speed gearbox (it was VW), because the gears were so close together I got into the habit of jumping gears. I went out today and did a bit more urban driving so I am getting used to the Yeti gearing a bit more, I think 6th is really a gear for motorway or A road cruising. Strangely, the maxidot diplay kept telling me to go into 6th even when I was only doing 30-40 mph.

I think you can get very good fuel economy out of the 170, I am not the most economical driver, but I was impressed with 46 mpg considering I was doing 70-80 mph most of the journey. Enjoy your new car - it is a lovely piece of kit.

Strangely, the maxidot diplay kept telling me to go into 6th even when I was only doing 30-40 mph.

Problem is, the maxidot can't be sure what you're going to do next. If you're going to carry on cruising at 30-40, sure, you can do so in 6th. However, the likelihood is that at that speed you're in town or on a twisty country road, and will need to drop a gear or two at the next corner, or come down through the gears as traffic slows.

The gear change indicator is forever telling me to change up into 5th or 6th when to do so would cause the engine revs to drop to almost idling. There is no power at these sort of engine speeds and you would need to change down again almost straight away. Even worse the engine is labouring which cannot do it any good. I just change gear when it feels right.

Andy

The gear change indicator is forever telling me to change up into 5th or 6th when to do so would cause the engine revs to drop to almost idling. There is no power at these sort of engine speeds and you would need to change down again almost straight away. Even worse the engine is labouring which cannot do it any good. I just change gear when it feels right.

Andy

Yes my short experience of the gear change indicator is the same, At first I religiously abided by it's every command, but it felt like the engine was struggling at times, which is not good for a new engine. I have learnt to ignore it and the car runs better in my opinion.

Yes my short experience of the gear change indicator is the same, At first I religiously abided by it's every command, but it felt like the engine was struggling at times, which is not good for a new engine. I have learnt to ignore it and the car runs better in my opinion.

For a new engine I would say you were right, ignore it and let it rev more freely without strain. I think the DSG in Elsie the Helipad used lower gears for longer when she was brand new. Now she uses higher gears. Plus with the remap pulls higher gears anyway.

I think the 6 speed gearbox is only fitted because the VAG group 2 litre diesel is not happy at low revs.

I only use the 5'th gear when cruising at 40 mph.(Yes there are 40 mph dual carriageways in Lincolnshire.)

6th is too high and I get transmission shunt(4X4).

5th is probably a good top gear if you tow.

I also find that now I've driven the"monster" for 6000 miles I short change the gears a lot.

If on the move 2nd to4th to 6th is very comfortable.

The 6 speed gearbox is fitted due to it being a much stronger unit. The 5 speed cannot comfortably handle the torque of the 140/170 engines.. :)

I think the 6 speed gearbox is only fitted because the VAG group 2 litre diesel is not happy at low revs.

I only use the 5'th gear when cruising at 40 mph.(Yes there are 40 mph dual carriageways in Lincolnshire.)

6th is too high and I get transmission shunt(4X4).

5th is probably a good top gear if you tow.

I also find that now I've driven the"monster" for 6000 miles I short change the gears a lot.

If on the move 2nd to4th to 6th is very comfortable.

You shouldn't get transmission shunt from the 4x4 as it is electronic and hydraulic.... It will just be the standard gearbox.

Can you please explain what "transmission shunt" is? I've never heard of it.

Yes I didn't describe that very well.

If I try to drive in 5th or 6th gear at low Rpm,say around 30 or40 mph,and slowly accelerate,the engine/transmission makes a rumbling/rattling sound, a mechanical sort of backlash in the gears/transmission.

Not very mechanically comfortable,so I avoid it by driving in a lower gear i.e.at 30 mph I'll be in 4th gear.

Just as a comparison I drove my sons 10 year old peugeot 206 2.0 litre HDI yesterday.

It has a very sweet engine and is quite happy to potter around in 5th gear at 30 mph.(about equivalent to 5th in the Yeti.)

As mentioned,in the Yeti I have to be in 4th gear with a few more rpm,for it to be mechanically "comfortable".

I hope that makes sense.:smirk:

I can only repeat what has already been said. Welcome to Snow Monster ownership emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

That is interesting about the gears, as the 140DSG will trundle along in 5th at about 30mph and 6th at 40mph...maybe the 170 is higher geared and therefore will use less fuel on the motorways. It certainly seems to be reflected in peoples fuel consumption figures. I wonder what the 140 manual box is like.

Off topic here, but being in these gears at these speeds is the fastest way to turn on a DPF warning light.

Edited by flashman

The 170 will happily trundle along the motorway in 6th at 90mph, but the shape means it'll be doing low thirties to the gallon at best. For all it's many strengths, sadly aerodynamics isn't one of them! As speeds rise above 70ish, fuel consumption starts to increase notably.

Our 2010 model Yeti averages mid to high thirties around town, low to mid forties on mix of A roads and motorways and low thirties when towing a horse trailer. These are down on what I get out of my Octavia vRS estate (though I don't tow), but are pretty respectable when compared to a Freelander or other similar sized 4x4 and the performance is much better.

Off topic here, but being in these gears at these speeds is the fastest way to turn on a DPF warning light.

Why?

If the engine is fully up to temperature then it is hot enough to burn off any excesses anyway.

I regularly drive through the speed limited areas on my way to work in either 5th or 6th with no problems at all. In the 18k miles/11 months I've owned the car I think I have had a DPF regeneration thrice.

Why?

If the engine is fully up to temperature then it is hot enough to burn off any excesses anyway.

I regularly drive through the speed limited areas on my way to work in either 5th or 6th with no problems at all. In the 18k miles/11 months I've owned the car I think I have had a DPF regeneration thrice.

The reasons are well written in the small leaflet that the VAG group have had available in their showrooms since at least 2008. I had a 2008 PD170 Leon FR and drive 5 miles to work each way and never had a light on (I drove the car rather than plodded), but many many people have had issues. It's well reported on many forums.

The system requires heat to be generated in the exhaust system. The fact the your engine is at normal temperature will alone not keep the DPF clear.

It's not a criticism, just a fact that even the VAG group have acknowledged.

The system requires heat to be generated in the exhaust system. The fact the your engine is at normal temperature will alone not keep the DPF clear.

I think that a 48 mile journey each way to work generates more heat than just being "at normal temperature".

I have been running cars with DPF's for 8 years now and have never had a problem with them, and there are people here who commute through London in Yeti diesels who are likewise. Comparing the system now fitted to that in an old scheme PD engine is not really fair.