My Superb Elegance 4X4 170 - 2 week review

Hi All,

I've now had her for almost two weeks, thought I would update everyone on my view after the long wait.

Firstly I can honestly say I really don't miss my BMW at all, the 2.0 170 Diesel is an absolute cracker of an engine, the torque is more then enough (not quite the 400nm I used to have) but it's not noticeable, the 4 wheel drive grips lovely and I can now feel it when I go round a corner quite hard with hardly any body roll.

It's really funny but I don't feel like I'm driving a large car at all, it feels like a Golf when you are in side.

Build quality is great and the seats are really comfortable, had a big thumbs up from the passengers that have been in the back. With comments suggesting it's like a limo :giggle: I really like Aqua Blue and glad I chose it, haven't seen another one on the road in that colour yet.

I have it connect to my Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone by Bluetooh for music and phone, it works without any issues. Satnav works fine for me and it even faster then my previous phone related SatNav (this was already fast enough)

One thing I have noticed it the auto wipers and headlights aren't as good as my BMW, the lights swicth on then fail to turn off occasionally. The auto wipers go really fast sometimes even when on the least sensitive setting and when it's hardly raining...

Now the reason I got it.. the dog loves it, so much that within 10 minutes of introducing her to the boot for a drive to the local Husky?malamute club she decided to chew off the cover for 12v socket in the boot :@

All in all she loves it though and so do I, All in all this is probably the best all round car I have ever owned!!!!!

For the ultimate thrill I will shortly be booking myself in at Thruxton to drive the Ferrari 458 :love:

Edited by Sw1

Nice review. Sounds like you're liking it - even the dog! emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Post some photos up if you can - don't think I've seen one in Aqua yet.

It's really funny but I don't feel like I'm driving a large car at all, it feels like a Golf when you are in side.

True, it's only when I actually drive my wife's Golf and that then feels like a go-kart (compared to the Superb.

Build quality is great and the seats are really comfortable,

+1, pity about the 'carpets' though.

I really like Aqua Blue and glad I choose it, haven't seen another one on the road in that colour yet.

+1

One thing I have noticed it the auto wipers and headlights aren't as good as my BMW, the lights swicth on then fail to turn off occasionally. The auto wipers go really fast sometimes even when on the least sensitive setting and when it's hardley raining...

I'm not a mad lover of either TBH, my wipers are set on the longest interval and even then it wipes too frequently, as for the auto lights I NEVER use them like that, i turn them on and off manually, if the AFS would work without the switch being in the AUTO setting then I would bypass it altogether.

this is probably the best all round car I have ever owned!!!!!

Fully agree there :thumbup:

don't think I've seen one in Aqua yet.

There are several here when Baker21 detailed mine (from new) although they do not reflect the true colour on a bright day as the Aqua Blue changes colour with the light, everything from blue to silver then grey, so IMO its a difficult colour to capture.

It would be nice to see another :thumbup:

Build quality is great and the seats are really comfortable

What are the seats like in comparison to the Octavia - mine are pretty supportive but judging by the pictures the Superb ones don't look as supportive? Although I maybe wrong :rofl:

Considering that I've ordered one I suppose I should really go and sit in one :giggle:

Great car with 4x4. The thing to remember is keep the power on through a bend.

I learned this with my Audi TT. Don't lift off just keep the revs steady you will feel the true worth of the Haldex system.

Enjoy, Phil.

Edited by philpix

What are the seats like in comparison to the Octavia - mine are pretty supportive but judging by the pictures the Superb ones don't look as supportive? Although I maybe wrong :rofl:

In the Elegance they are really comfortable and supportive - even with leather, they are much better than the MKI Octavia and Superb, I have not driven a MKII Octavia but they are better than a MK5 Golf - which I assume will be very similar to the MKII Octavia?

Thanks for all the info, SW1. It prepares me for the day when I can get behind the wheel of my exact equivalent car, except for the colour. That point about the colour changing in the sun is very valid for my chosen Rosso Brunello as well as others. It makes a dramatic difference. I notice too that the amount of chrome against a dark background makes an impact - favourable.

But, I wait until the end of July for mine. Truthfully, I might have balked at the delay had I known how long the wait was to be. (I was told May.) I was also considering Audi, Mercedes, VW and BMW, as well as my present Honda. The cost of the options made a difference, in favour of the Elegance. The more I'm told that the Superb is a luxury car, however, the happier I am. So ride is important. How do the low profile tyres cope with our country's almost third world roads? (Well, at any rate, here in ex-mining country!)

In the Elegance they are really comfortable and supportive - even with leather, they are much better than the MKI Octavia and Superb, I have not driven a MKII Octavia but they are better than a MK5 Golf - which I assume will be very similar to the MKII Octavia?

:thumbup: Thanks

Had both a MKI Octy and MK5 Golf in a previous life - and to be fair the seats were good. I have an SE on order so Alcantara and (fake) leather on it's way.

How do the low profile tyres cope with our country's almost third world roads? (Well, at any rate, here in ex-mining country!)

Actually much better than I was expecting, I thought the 225/40/18's would be quite firm and crashy, but in reality they are not much different to the 205/55/16 winter tyres I ran on them.

Think about investing in a set of winter tyres during the summer. I got caught out with over demand in late Autumn last year

Well worth putting on the 4X4 it when the bad weather arrives.

Phil

Think about investing in a set of winter tyres during the summer. I got caught out with over demand in late Autumn last year

Phil

I never get this with winter tyres. Naturally, I understand the grip features but how do you get the damn things on? Or do I buy an extra set of wheels? I always get my tyres fitted for me but could manage a set of wheels.

Phil

I never get this with winter tyres. Naturally, I understand the grip features but how do you get the damn things on? Or do I buy an extra set of wheels? I always get my tyres fitted for me but could manage a set of wheels.

• Like 1

What do you mean?

Either use your existing wheels and remove your summer tyres and store them through the winter. Or, get a 2nd set of winter wheels - to put winter tyres onto?

Thanks for all the info, SW1. It prepares me for the day when I can get behind the wheel of my exact equivalent car, except for the colour. That point about the colour changing in the sun is very valid for my chosen Rosso Brunello as well as others. It makes a dramatic difference. I notice too that the amount of chrome against a dark background makes an impact - favourable.

But, I wait until the end of July for mine. Truthfully, I might have balked at the delay had I known how long the wait was to be. (I was told May.) I was also considering Audi, Mercedes, VW and BMW, as well as my present Honda. The cost of the options made a difference, in favour of the Elegance. The more I'm told that the Superb is a luxury car, however, the happier I am. So ride is important. How do the low profile tyres cope with our country's almost third world roads? (Well, at any rate, here in ex-mining country!)

The types cope very well with gods own county's roads, as does the suspension. I don't know what your Honda is like, but the Superb is much more comfortable than my previous 320d and the "lovely" run flats that were fitted to it :o

tyres.jpg

I have these Avon Ice Touring stored ready for the winter.

The Contis are great in summer but rubbish in the snow.

Phil

Yes, you buy an extra set of wheels. For me, living in Norway, winter tyres are essential (not to mention demanded by law).

For me this was also the perfect "excuse" to have my Superb fitted with 18" Luxon alloys on the summer tyres, hence using the 17" Trifid that came with the car on the winter tyres. Loving the design of both, so not having to choose between them was also nice :thumbup:

John

Can I check what you guys are paying for 225/40/18 winter tyres please? I had a look on BlackCircles where the Avon Ice Tourings are around £140 each. Add this to £160 for each spare Skoda alloy (probably more now), then we're talking £2k for the set of 4. Is this about the norm? Is there much saving going for 17 instead 18 (I assume the only difference is looks, i.e. no performance issues)?

Wooops, I meant £1.2k for the set of 4...

Edited by JB.

4x Nokian WR G2 (205/55/R16) 94V XL's £310 delivered (mytyres.co.uk) - this is the recommended size by Skoda.

set of Skoda/VW/Audi 16" alloys £100 - £200 from eBay

+ fitting balancing £10 - £15 per tyre

= £570

If you really want/need to refurbish the alloys to as new condition then add £255 for someone like (name removed due to my personal experience of the being less than favourable) to refurbish them (this included fitting tyres and balancing them and they will look better than they left the factory when new) or £80 for city powdercoaters (Birmingham) to do an 'OK' job.

So you can see for under £765 you can have a set of 'new' wheels and winter tyres.

Avon Ice Tourings are around £140 each. Add this to £160 for each spare Skoda alloy (probably more now), then we're talking £2k for the set of 4.

Are we?

£140 per tyre + £160 per wheel = £300 each corner, so a total of £1,200, or around half that if you do the above.

Can I check what you guys are paying for 225/40/18 winter tyres please? I had a look on BlackCircles where the Avon Ice Tourings are around £140 each. Add this to £160 for each spare Skoda alloy (probably more now), then we're talking £2k for the set of 4. Is this about the norm? Is there much saving going for 17 instead 18 (I assume the only difference is looks, i.e. no performance issues)?

The black alloys were £300 for the set and the Avons £130 per tyre.

Phil

It seems a long way from winter at the moment but I remember skidding down a hill in my Honda and those black alloys whilst, sorry Philpix, not a thing of beauty, will store easily enough in my garage with the cheap Avons. All for two months or so. But, God, that hill and no control....

Being a long way from winter means it's now the ideal time to buy :Demoticon-0148-yes.gif

Although I see Camskill are still having stock issues for them, in some pretty common sizes - I'm looking at 225/45/17 for fitting to my 2nd set of wheels myself.

I would imagine non of the major manufacturers would have started production yet of their winter tyres?

I purchased mine in August last year and they seemed to be the at their cheapest price - they are STILL at almost twice what i paid.