Sub connection on SWING radio

HI all,

I want to fit a small subwoofer in my VRs, not to blast people off the road, just to take the bass away from the front components and preserve their life, being a bit into Dubstep, the deep bass can damage speakers quickly.

does anyone know if there is a Subwoofer output in the back of the SWING style radio??

cheers

Ash

HI all,

I want to fit a small subwoofer in my VRs, not to blast people off the road, just to take the bass away from the front components and preserve their life, being a bit into Dubstep, the deep bass can damage speakers quickly.

does anyone know if there is a Subwoofer output in the back of the SWING style radio??

cheers

Ash

Don't let him fool you, he is a boy racer really.

Would be interested to know the same...

What sort of sub are you going for? I don't want to compromise boot space really, but for the same reasons as you would like to move the bass elsewhere (one of the reasons being that a decent amount of bass seems to result in rattling)...

he is going for one of these !!! lol

1249-huge-subwoofer.jpg

Awww, I'm gonna get me one of those!

Looks like Patch will have to run behind from now on, as his doggie boot home becomes all speaker.

fitting a sub won't prevent bass going to the speakers, the speakers are still getting the full range from the hu. To limit or stop the bass going to the speajkers u'll need a filter or cross over. It's probably easier and cheaper to fit a 4 channel amp, run the front speakers and a sub from it, then fade the sound to the front more. just take the hu out to see if its got pre out (i doubt it)

fitting a sub won't prevent bass going to the speakers, the speakers are still getting the full range from the hu. To limit or stop the bass going to the speajkers u'll need a filter or cross over. It's probably easier and cheaper to fit a 4 channel amp, run the front speakers and a sub from it, then fade the sound to the front more. just take the hu out to see if its got pre out (i doubt it)

Yep - aware that a sub won't prevent bass going to the speakers, but step one is to establish whether a pre-out exists.

I *could* run a high-level line to the amp, but that's not doing things properly and I've never been keen on not doing things properly.

As for just taking the head unit out, that's unlikely to help.

The VW Gamma and Beta head units of the late 90s and early 00s had a built in line-level out, but you had to buy an obscure blaupunkt adapter cable to make it work (because the early units were all blaupunkt units, and although later designs were philips and grundig, they shared the IC board design).

So unfortunately it's not as simple a question as it sounds, and the answer isn't necessarily as simple as it appears :-)

Yep - aware that a sub won't prevent bass going to the speakers, but step one is to establish whether a pre-out exists.

I *could* run a high-level line to the amp, but that's not doing things properly and I've never been keen on not doing things properly.

As for just taking the head unit out, that's unlikely to help.

The VW Gamma and Beta head units of the late 90s and early 00s had a built in line-level out, but you had to buy an obscure blaupunkt adapter cable to make it work (because the early units were all blaupunkt units, and although later designs were philips and grundig, they shared the IC board design).

So unfortunately it's not as simple a question as it sounds, and the answer isn't necessarily as simple as it appears :-)

my guess is tat the swing (as with the dance in the pre fl) won't have any pre outs. You can simply use a high level converter to add a sub. better to use the rear speaker in so you can fade front / sub

So from rear speaker out into a hi-low converter then the pre out from the converter to the sub amp. You won't lose rear speakers as you can buy hi-low converters with 2x speaker in, 2 x speaker out and pre outs.

No disrespect but the lack of sound quality is somewhat down to the cheap construction of the fabia, namely the rigid door cards and lack of sound deadening....there isnt really much fundamentally wrong with the speakers or HU.

I like progressive/tech/hard house and electro which is all generally very bass rich and it sounds perfectly adequate in the Fabia, though I dont tend to turn it up much past 14-15 as I cant bare distortion. If you wanted to go down the route of improving the sound quality best off taking off the door trims and putting in some sound deadening material; maybe replace the existing speakers with some better custom fit replacements.....personally wouldnt bother though.

Putting a sub in (even an 8 inch in a box or tube) will not only take up boot space, it will rattle the car to pieces and you'll instantly be stereotyped as one of these nobheads we all see daily driving around with way too much bass pumping out of their car (as the sound deadening on the Fabia isnt great, even the standard stereo sounds loud when on from outside); even though you're not a nobhead of course!.......sorry up to you of course maybe i'm just getting old? :-)

• Like 1

The Mk1 vRS speakers aren't that bad. Changing the headunit made a world of difference. I'm guessing this vRS would be similar. Listen to stuff similar to pipsyp so hoping it will be fine. It's the one thing I never tested on the test drive.

The Mk1 vRS speakers aren't that bad. Changing the headunit made a world of difference. I'm guessing this vRS would be similar. Listen to stuff similar to pipsyp so hoping it will be fine. It's the one thing I never tested on the test drive.

Hi MartynVRS, its all personal preference isnt it I guess. I like to keep my cars completely OEM, only reason I wouldnt change the stereo and speakers. It could no doubt be improved but I wouldnt bother myself.

Have to say though for a fairly cheap car the sound system is very good, particularly the HU and MDI integration. Whats nice with the stereo is you get the outside temp and time displayed all the time which is a nice touch. Admittedly the (almost the same) system in my Golf does sound a fair bit better but then its a 5.5k more expensive car with much better acoustics.

No disrespect but the lack of sound quality is somewhat down to the cheap construction of the fabia, namely the rigid door cards and lack of sound deadening....there isnt really much fundamentally wrong with the speakers or HU.

I like progressive/tech/hard house and electro which is all generally very bass rich and it sounds perfectly adequate in the Fabia, though I dont tend to turn it up much past 14-15 as I cant bare distortion. If you wanted to go down the route of improving the sound quality best off taking off the door trims and putting in some sound deadening material; maybe replace the existing speakers with some better custom fit replacements.....personally wouldnt bother though.

Putting a sub in (even an 8 inch in a box or tube) will not only take up boot space, it will rattle the car to pieces and you'll instantly be stereotyped as one of these nobheads we all see daily driving around with way too much bass pumping out of their car (as the sound deadening on the Fabia isnt great, even the standard stereo sounds loud when on from outside); even though you're not a nobhead of course!.......sorry up to you of course maybe i'm just getting old? :-)

I get what your saying, maybe your right too. think the first stage will be to stuff some sound deadening in and see where to go from there.

• 1 month later...

I have one of these underneath the passenger seat in my Yeti:

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/131/201/TS-WX110A/index.html

I also have a Blaupunkt "Plug and play" amp under the drivers seat, connecting the powered sub with RCA cables.

However, you can wire in to speaker cables if you wish.

No loss of bootspace, provides a nice punchy bass that can vibrate the rear view mirror if you wish...