505 01 oil from Halfords?

pbirkett

Does anyone know if you can get this stuff from halfords, needing some for the Fabia since I checked it and the oil is at the minimum allowable level on the dipstick :rolleyes:

I drove to some garages assuming that I would easily be able to find some, but like hell is it, and thats even considering many of these were major town centre garages and even a motorway services. :thumbdwn: Plenty of 505 00 though, but thats no good I assume for the PD?

Is it worth it to go down Halfords or will I only get it from the dealer or online? I'm disappointed that this oil is so hard to get :mad:

Ross Clarke says use "any old oil"............

and you work for Skoda are you serious surely any old oil will damage the High Tech Pump Duse Vw Engine thats why they state 505001 for the Fabia isnt it..Im not sure if id use ANY OLD OIL to top mine up? :rolleyes:

Ross Clarke says use "any old oil"............

and you work for Skoda are you serious surely any old oil will damage the High Tech Pump Duse Vw Engine thats why they state 505001 for the Fabia isnt it..Im not sure if id use ANY OLD OIL to top mine up? :rolleyes:

I think he is just saying that if its very low then something is better than nothing. I dont think its that critical though, and my next journey will be to get some one way or t'other.

Well they had the 506 01 but not the 505 01. The bloke at Halfords said that VW were "funny" about selling this oil to anyone else.

Dont know why this would be the case, but to say I'm p****d off is an understatement of biblical proportions :mad: especially now that I've discovered the level was lower than I first thought, a good 3-4 mm below the permissable level on the dipstick. I am p****d off because I have been regularly checking it, and I am p****d off that it would take such a rare, esoteric oil that cannot be obtained anywhere in the case of an emergency. Well done VAG, only 40% of your cars are PD cars and yet you wont sell anyone the f****ng oil.

Even the VW dealer in Wrexham couldn't provide any VW 505 01 oil when I called in there the weekend before last - though admittedly the Parts Man wasn't there... However there was none in the oils on display. Why's it such a difficult oil to find?

Well they had the 506 01 but not the 505 01. The bloke at Halfords said that VW were "funny" about selling this oil to anyone else.

Dont know why this would be the case' date=' but to say I'm p****d off is an understatement of biblical proportions :mad: especially now that I've discovered the level was lower than I first thought, a good 3-4 mm below the permissable level on the dipstick. I am p****d off because I have been regularly checking it, and I am p****d off that it would take such a rare, esoteric oil that cannot be obtained anywhere in the case of an emergency. Well done VAG, only 40% of your cars are PD cars and yet you wont sell anyone the f****ng oil.[/quote']

What a load of cobblers - VW don't make the oil - Castrol,Esso & Shell are the main manufacturers of this oil - so it will be available from the forecourt shops also.

Little note for those using longlife2 oil for petrol AVS vehicles - make sure you've got plenty of top up - its in very short supply at the mo - something to do with the addatives required to make it not available,we normally order 2,000 litres at a time - we've only been allowed 2 x 209litre drums.

What a load of cobblers - VW don't make the oil - Castrol,Esso & Shell are the main manufacturers of this oil - so it will be available from the forecourt shops also.

The fact that Shell might make a VW505.01 type oil (Shell Helix Diesel Plus VA 5W-40 (semi-synthetic)) doesn't mean it's available in Shell Service Stations - it's even difficult to find on the Shell website not being featured in the "normal" place along with other Shell Diesel oils.

What a load of cobblers - VW don't make the oil - Castrol' date='Esso & Shell are the main manufacturers of this oil - so it will be available from the forecourt shops also.

[/quote']

Cobblers? That'll be why I went to BP, Esso, Shell, Jet (all in a metropolitan area as well) and others and didnt find any. :rolleyes: