135 quid for new tyre - so much for cheap motoring

Bulge in tyre so new Michelin on today. Couldn't bring myself to fit a budget rubber band on as good Michelin pilot exalto tyres all round when bought it. Of course, these are now end of life. Would have got another 4k out if old one too - oh well. Plus 70 quid to fill up with the smelly stuff.

The joys of motoring.

Ouch!!! Toyo T1R are available for around £70 each.

£70 to fill up?? The Fabia only has a 40 litre tank. I filled up this morning with 30 miles left on the range, and that cost me £54.

What rubber are putting on????? Thats a bit steap to say the least!!! :o I run Toyo Proxes T1R's for my "summers" and these are good all round grip.....and you could just pay for two at that price...maybe £150ish??? B)

EDIT

Just noticed you state Michelin pilot exalto tyres ???.........WTF???? on a Fabia????.....way OTT!!!!! Unless you are running the engine with 350bhp+.......are you????? :wonder:

Edited by fabdavrav

Cheap motoring comes with the assumption that you have some common sense ;)

£70 in diesel means you're either spilling an aweful lot, or going to an unreasonably expensive garage. The most i've managed to fit into mine is £58 worth (42 litres ish which was from almost fully empty to brimmed) and that was recently when it was costing about 140p a litre.

Feel great now, he he. Car came with those tyres so thought I'd keep up good work. Didn't have much time so went to good local place. Oh well. They do grip well and neve squeal.

That was 50.3 litres. If you use the reserve tank button you can fit a surprising amount in the tank! Thought is was quite cheap at 1.38/litre. Will add a bit of millers later.

I literally have just come back from filling my car up.

The fuel warning light literally went on as I pulled up to the pump.

49.59 ltrs of unleaded.@ 136.9p = £67.89

Car:Skoda Octavia vRS Mk1

Presumably the Octavia has a bigger tank?

This is the Fabia I forum and with a range of only 10 miles left (fuel light on for 30 miles) I could only get 42 litres in mine.

Presumably the Octavia has a bigger tank?

This is the Fabia I forum and with a range of only 10 miles left (fuel light on for 30 miles) I could only get 42 litres in mine.

I got £80 in the Fabia a few weeks ago, using the expansion tank of course, that was with the computer showing 0 miles.

Was roughly 56litres iirc.

Why put Michelins on? There are plenty of threads about tyres in this section that are much cheaper, these are not cheap dichfinders too. The last time I bought some I paid £150 for 2 Uniroyals (fitted).

Having said that, I can remember 10 years ago buying 2 (or possibly 3) tyres for £50. My first back box was £19 and a full exhaust system was £50 too.

Yes, sorry about that. Was trying to help by showing ltr/p cost of filling up and thus may have caused some confusion! My bad.

Why Michelin? Basically all the tyres are Michelin pilot exalto. The front o/s has loads of tread left. I didn't want to mix and match tyre brands or, the alternative, get rid of a perfectly good front tyre to buy two cheaper ones that match. I needed it done and now it is so maybe next time I'll do it different. Got vredestein on family car and they're good. All seem to have gone up a bit in price.

I only replaced it because it was damaged - I was hoping to wear out the fronts and put some different rubber on. I'll be stuck in an endless Michelin loop now...

...I only replaced it because it was damaged - I was hoping to wear out the fronts and put some different rubber on. I'll be stuck in an endless Michelin loop now...

Yep. Michelin's have a hard rubber compound so will last for ages too.

Edited by Jim H

You only get cheap motoring if you buy cheap brands. I'm sure you'll get the mileage from the new tyre, making it cheaper in the long run. Nothing wrong with putting expensive rubber on, but don't moan about the cost of it. You can get tyres for the vrs for £50 probably, doesn't mean it's a good economical decision though, as it won't last very long!!

Enjoy your new tyre mate ;):thumbup: