vRS Insurance

My renewal has just come through and I'm currently with Swiftcover. Want to change to a better company, even though it's a "resonable" quote (£545) as for one thing Swiftcover only say that you have 5 years max of no claims plus checking insurance for the vRS estate Swiftcover won't cover it. They seem to be not insuring anything quick anymore. So I go through all the usual comparison sites only to find that everyone is quoting way more than that.

Here's the wierd thing. The vRS estate I can insure for about £600ish with protected NCB and European cover with Admiral or Bell. I try insure my current vRS and it's on average £100 more! How is that when the new car is faster and worth a lot more? I have added my parents to the policy this year. It doesn't save me much but they've needed to drive my car a few times lately so it's best to put them on and not have them driving Third Party.

Who is everyone else insured with? I need to make sure that not only is my current car cheap to insure but that they actually insure the new one too.

I am with Sky Insurance you get discount through being a member on here and other car sites. They were the best at the time I am 30 £649 a year fully comp protects my NCB driving in Europe and a new motor if 60% damage in the first year only of the car being built/registered. But they don’t do curtsey car cover you have to get that yourself with someone else :( so when I go to Skoda I use their insurance simple that way :)

Missus insured ours with Admiral, best deal we could find...expect in 12 months time they'll want to pull our pants down though, seems to be the way nowadays.

Protected NCBs are a false economy. You still have to declare whether your NCBs are protected or not and clearly it'll affect the premium. The extra you pay for it aswell is soon a greater cost after a couple of years than say having to pay a bit more when starting from scratch after a bump. I know this because a close friend writes the algorithms that determine premiums for a maybe insurance company in the North West.

IF protected NCBs meant you didnt have to declare them (which you do) + if you crash once a year. Then maybe they'd be worth it. Otherwise :thumbdown:

When it comes to the insurance for the vRS - Admiral/Bell/Elephant are the cheapest because it seems they've overlooked the specifics of the vRS and look at engine size, the fact that its an automatic and your area only - and not the amount of juice it kicks out B) .

Edited by Silv1983

the mark 1 vRS has been through alot of hedges/walls ect, the mark II has ESP that you cannot turn off, you are much less likley to crash it, insurance companies reccon ESP could save up to 50-60% of fatal accidents, its going to be made law on all new cars soon, can't remember if its this Jan or 2012.. they just work on statistics, my old punto had ESP you couldn't turn off oand was (declared) modded to 170bhp... my insurance did not change when I swopped, same £360 for the vRS as it was for the punto.

when you get the new vrs, throw it into a wet roundabout too fast and stamp on the throttle, you will still just go round the roundabout as intended....

All good points especially ESP. Insurance just seems a lottery. Cheapest I've got it down to for the estate is £607 with Admiral via a comparison site. On the Admiral site they want £900

I'm with Directline insurance and changed my cover over from my previous car (Fiat 500 1.2i POP) onto the Fabia. Its costing an extra £93 for the remaining six months of cover or £258 in total for me and the GF as a named driver.

Tried that meerkat comparison site and got three quotes all around £345 from Admiral, Elephant and Bell. Directline's online quote was dearer at £440, but I may stay with Directline as the GF's car is insured by them also, and so she gets a multicar discount and an extra 10% as our home insurance is with Directline too. Her renewal this year was £296, which I think is resonable for a 28 year old on a Octavia 1.4 TSI Elegance with myself as a named driver. The cheapest quote she could get elsewhere was £480.

We also have two young children and I doubt its the car that's the biggest cost to insurers nowdays, its propably all the personal injury claims.

Have you been involved in an accident in the past three years that wasn't your fault?

By the way Skoda wanted £890 for me on the vRS with the GF as a named driver.

just as a matter of note: these comparison sites, always RING the company, don't just do it on-line... my..er kinda ex... gf went on to insure the honda, and alot of them didn't have an option for the pass plus course I did for her, she rang up thje cheapest quote (swinton) and got even more off on the phone due to the pass plus than she would have if she had just don ethe internet deal! was really worth that phone call! she also (as a new driver) got more off for putting me down as a named driver (even though my insurance covered me anyway) they just work on statistics... i.e if I drive it 10% of the time, its 10% less likley to crash 10% off... ect ect...

I was with swiftcover when I got my 1.2 tsi DSG fabia. They altered the policy from my focus to the fabia and I had refund of 60 quid bringing it to 330. I did a comparison online. Now with admiral for 180 quid. I believe admiral bell and elephant are the same group as everything detail of the policy was the same

I was with swiftcover when I got my 1.2 tsi DSG fabia. They altered the policy from my focus to the fabia and I had refund of 60 quid bringing it to 330. I did a comparison online. Now with admiral for 180 quid. I believe admiral bell and elephant are the same group as everything detail of the policy was the same

They are, and as much as they're not the best... they're a damn sight better than Swiftcover! Gotta love those recycled parts being used on your car following an accident at a garage of their choice... and if you choose your own they only pay what their approved repairer could do it for (buttons no doubt)

I was with Swiftcover, but left for Admiral.

Funnily enough though... a Seat Ibiza FR (basically the same as a Skoda Fabia vRS MK1) was going to cost £450 to insure with Admiral - my vRS MK2 Estate was £330.

No, I can't work it out either.

Only 7 groups higher lol.

20 years old, sorted insurance the other day and it was going to be £880...I haggled and got down to £700 (basically told them they were ripping me off). My corsa's renewal price was £900+ ... So I was going to be cheaper to insure the VRS anyway? Don't make sense to me but I sure as **** ain't complaining! :) haha!

20 years old, sorted insurance the other day and it was going to be £880...I haggled and got down to £700 (basically told them they were ripping me off). My corsa's renewal price was £900+ ... So I was going to be cheaper to insure the VRS anyway? Don't make sense to me but I sure as **** ain't complaining! :) haha!

Thats a good price! Whats your excess?

All good points especially ESP. Insurance just seems a lottery. Cheapest I've got it down to for the estate is £607 with Admiral via a comparison site. On the Admiral site they want £900

i dont know how old all of you guys are, but im 20 with 2 years NCB and with admiral im paying £618.74 for 12 months cover?? some of you guys are older with more no claims and are paying as much if not more than me!

i dont know how old all of you guys are, but im 20 with 2 years NCB and with admiral im paying £618.74 for 12 months cover?? some of you guys are older with more no claims and are paying as much if not more than me!

You probably have a favourable postcode. I consider myself a perfect candidate for car insurance with the exception that I live in Manchester so have to pay around the £600 mark.

Edited by Silv1983

You probably have a favourable postcode. I consider myself a perfect candidate for car insurance with the exception that I live in Manchester so have to pay around the £600 mark.

Same for me. I live in London and paying through the nose. Put in my mates address in Hatfield and that was exactly half!

Been with direct line for the past 6 years and this year they wanted 10% more making premium £ 360. Wasnt going to stand for this as I am a bit of an oldie now (41 !) and car is garaged in a decent area. ( i have max no claims - 9 years i think)

Went to Admiral for £ 318 same cover.

We do have another car in the household which SWMBO drives, so i think they discount you if you have access to another car.

I have always carried a £ 350 excess since i was 30 and still do.

I dont bother with protected no claims or other add ons, just the standard comprehensive cover with legal expenses.

Hope this helps.

Protected NCBs are a false economy. You still have to declare whether your NCBs are protected or not and clearly it'll affect the premium. The extra you pay for it aswell is soon a greater cost after a couple of years than say having to pay a bit more when starting from scratch after a bump. I know this because a close friend writes the algorithms that determine premiums for a maybe insurance company in the North West.

IF protected NCBs meant you didnt have to declare them (which you do) + if you crash once a year. Then maybe they'd be worth it. Otherwise :thumbdown:

When it comes to the insurance for the vRS - Admiral/Bell/Elephant are the cheapest because it seems they've overlooked the specifics of the vRS and look at engine size, the fact that its an automatic and your area only - and not the amount of juice it kicks out B) .

I disagree with this and its certainly not the case when I've run through some "test" quotes for myself.

On my Octy vRS.

Saying I've got 5+ years NCB and then declaring a single "at fault" accident Vs 2 years NCB and declaring the same accident.

The quote with the higher NCB is less than the one with just the 2yrs NCB by around £85 across the board.

You may still have to declare the accident, but having maximum NCB (something you wouldn't have without the protection) does make a difference to your premium.

Been with direct line for the past 6 years and this year they wanted 10% more making premium £ 360. Wasnt going to stand for this as I am a bit of an oldie now (41 !) and car is garaged in a decent area. ( i have max no claims - 9 years i think)

Went to Admiral for £ 318 same cover.

We do have another car in the household which SWMBO drives, so i think they discount you if you have access to another car.

I have always carried a £ 350 excess since i was 30 and still do.

I dont bother with protected no claims or other add ons, just the standard comprehensive cover with legal expenses.

Hope this helps.

You may think its the same cover but its really not, directline covers a fair bit admiral don't

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

I disagree with this and its certainly not the case when I've run through some "test" quotes for myself.

On my Octy vRS.

Saying I've got 5+ years NCB and then declaring a single "at fault" accident Vs 2 years NCB and declaring the same accident.

The quote with the higher NCB is less than the one with just the 2yrs NCB by around £85 across the board.

You may still have to declare the accident, but having maximum NCB (something you wouldn't have without the protection) does make a difference to your premium.

I don't fully understand your post - is the 5+ NCB declared as protected?. Its impossible to work out with a few test quotes because you'd need a few years to realise the cost. Thats why they seem appealing one year at a time. If you have protected NCBs - yes the premium might be a bit cheaper... but the expense is elsewhere - i.e. in paying for the protection. This is a similar cost, if not subject to an increase each year. If you don't protect your NCBs and have to start from scratch - yes the premium is higher, but there's no extra £80 on your ins every year, and after each year that passes - the premium goes down until eventually you've got the 5+ years NCB again. Of course, this only works if you don't keep having a smash.

At the end of the day I accept that it's a subjective opinion - but these companies arent our friends trying to help us save money. They'll get it one way or another, either by the extra from paying for PNCBs - or not allowing us to carry them over to another company.

I'm about to hit my tenth year of driving and i've never had a smash nor paid for PNCBs. If I had paid for them i'd be near to £1000 down now. If I have an accident tomorrow... i doubt i'll lose £1000 in increased premiums until I earn a few years again. Thats just the way I see it. Its the old 95 ron vs 98 ron debate in another disguise B)