Realword mpg figures petrol and diesel vrs

But lol I thought you said range was your objective as time fuelling is time you could be earning your employers £110 an hour?

There is not a shred of logic in dear old lol's ramblings. To (mis)quote Monty Python "he's just an accountant and consequently too boring to be of interest"

I was going to ask how he manages to get such amazingly high mpg when

I really need the DSG as I just do so much driving often in urban areas like West London and Canary Wharf

but decided not to bother as I already feel so totally inadequate 'cos I only get 36mpg average from my 1.8TSI (with DSG) with very little town driving, none of which has been within 100 miles of London.

It ain't a new car mate, just clocked 79k. Im not on full power all the time, just now and again. Each day I'm spending 15-30 mins on motorway sat between 70-80mph, plus round town driving. Would running it on vpower make any difference in mpg as that's what I put in it

So you have the PD VRS then? That will not be as good on fuel as the CR but I used to get around 420miles or more from my PD one before I got the CR so something is not right with yours. Would be worth getting it checked out as I seem to remember some threads on here about poor PD VRS consumption and was eventually found to be a fault with some part (although I can not remember which part it was).

There is not a shred of logic in dear old lol's ramblings. To (mis)quote Monty Python "he's just an accountant and consequently too boring to be of interest"

I was going to ask how he manages to get such amazingly high mpg when

but decided not to bother as I already feel so totally inadequate 'cos I only get 36mpg average from my 1.8TSI (with DSG) with very little town driving, none of which has been within 100 miles of London.

Sometimes I just do long journeys that are 99% motorway (get 45 mpg) and sometime I have to go to urban areas (get 35 mpg) which would be very tiring with a manual box. 7 speed auto box with 1.8 TSI is my favourite ie 29 mph/1000 rpm and with a 7K red line that is only about 40% of max revs at legal limit ie much lower than other Octavias. Always feel like I need to change up a gear when I drive our TSI VRS as it is only 25 mph/1000 rpm in top.

Computer display is down to just over 40 mpg as got caught in a big RTA last week, so real consumption is probably around 38 mpg over last few K, even with freewheeling episodes!

Accountant with a bike that does standing quarter in 12 seconds and looking to buy something even faster.

May have to change one of my Skoda's to something like an XF as still come across some snobery when parking with the BMWs, Audis and Merc and it would save the jibing.

Edited by lol

someone isn't very good at maths for a know it all. 40mpg vs 55mpg isn't 10%. Your fantasy world of mpg, you should expect about 70mpg at least out of a diesel. That's a 35% difference at the very least.

I don't think you've told us this before though.

It's wearing very thin, just like your tyres.

I thought we had been through this. 1.8 TSI DSG Cobined MPG 42.8 mpg, 2 litre diesel DSG 47.9 mpg. 47.1 / 42.8 = Exactly 10%.

Do get 57 mpg in the 1.9 PD 130 on average, very good.

Fresh pair of Michelin PS3 are wating at the tyre fitters to go on tomorrow.

Weather suppose to be a wet start but getting warm later so looks like doing your GTI International run later in the day would be better for traction. Good luck and looking forward to you airing the print out next week!

I've just bought a VRS TDI PD and at the moment I've done about 265 miles to nearly 3/4 of a tank.. Surely this can't be right? I've noticed on the motorway at 70mph, the constant mpg reads anything from 43-47mpg and then after a few mins will read in the 50's sometimes early 60's but then drop off again back down into the 40's.

Does it sound like it's using alot?

It impossible to tell from 'a certain number of miles to so much of a tank'. Nearly three quarters could be two thirds which means you'd probably get another 130 miles or so and be bang on the 400 to a tank that others have suggested.

What you need to do is work out brim to brim figures.

Fill your tank to the first click.

Note the milage.

Then next time you fill up, fill it to the first click again and note the milage.

You then know how many miles you've travelled and how many litres you used.

Divide the litres by 4.54 to get it into gallons.

Divide the miles travelled by the gallons used and you've got MPG.

Anything around 40mpg or higher is normal.

If you're averaging mid-thirties or lower then there is something wrong.

Lets face it these MPG threads would be very boring without lol.

I disagree. We had perfectly useful and informative discussions before.

I was being flippant and you are of course entitled to your opinion, but I really don't think any of the MPG threads I've seen have added much factually to what you can read in the brochure.

Even if we restrict it to motorway driving the VRS TSI in the "real world" will do anything between 25 and 45 mpg depending on speed. I would imagine the diesel although less thirsty will similarly vary depending how fast you drive.

With all due respect to the OP unless the question asked is very specific we end up with a mish-mash of answers which don't really tell us much. (IMHO)

So you have the PD VRS then? That will not be as good on fuel as the CR but I used to get around 420miles or more from my PD one before I got the CR so something is not right with yours. Would be worth getting it checked out as I seem to remember some threads on here about poor PD VRS consumption and was eventually found to be a fault with some part (although I can not remember which part it was).

Ah right thanks for that, might have a word with skoda and mention this, any idea how I could find out what the part was? I'm thinking if it was filled to the brim it might do 420 as it was between full & 3/4. I have a quarter of a tank now and it's saying I have 110 miles left which will give me 385

I thought we had been through this. 1.8 TSI DSG Cobined MPG 42.8 mpg, 2 litre diesel DSG 47.9 mpg. 47.1 / 42.8 = Exactly 10%.

Do get 57 mpg in the 1.9 PD 130 on average, very good.

Fresh pair of Michelin PS3 are wating at the tyre fitters to go on tomorrow.

Weather suppose to be a wet start but getting warm later so looks like doing your GTI International run later in the day would be better for traction. Good luck and looking forward to you airing the print out next week!

funny that, your going off non real world figures on a real world figures thread. You have admitted on here you are getting 39mpg. I get at least 48mpg.

Watched an 11plate manual vrs diesel do a 16sec dead 1/4 mile today with a 0-60 of 7.2sec. I didn't go down today due to damp weather, strong head wind which everyone was moaning about, and also the fact I didn't get any sleep and the show was crap!

funny that, your going off non real world figures on a real world figures thread. You have admitted on here you are getting 39mpg. I get at least 48mpg.

Watched an 11plate manual vrs diesel do a 16sec dead 1/4 mile today with a 0-60 of 7.2sec. I didn't go down today due to damp weather, strong head wind which everyone was moaning about, and also the fact I didn't get any sleep and the show was crap!

Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow! Interested as to why you thought the Show is cr4p?

Havent been for a few years but looking forward to the sunday event! :thumbup:

Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow! Interested as to why you thought the Show is cr4p?

Havent been for a few years but looking forward to the sunday event! :thumbup:

It was just dead and the weather didn't help. Hopefully I'll get a decent nights kip and the weather Will be better tomorrow, although my battery is now flat!

I absolutely belief that the manufacturers figures can be achieved all be it that it is very boring to do so. I have been getting closer to 39 mpg rather than 43 mpg becuase I have doing more urban than etra urban journeys plus giving it max acceleration at many opportunities. Use to get 48 mpg out of my company car, a 140 hp SEAT diesel with DSG which was exactly the book figure. I thought your fuelly figure was 40 something mpg?

16 dead is good and the 7.2 to sixty incredible! When we use to have a Fabia VRS Mk1 SE (#89) I remember reading reports that it hade been measured at around 8s 0-60, fastastic with only 130 hp. Good luck loday as the weather is due to be toasty and good for traction!

"Lets face it these MPG threads would be very boring without lol."

My apology if I have spoilt in any way someone's enjoyment of this or any other thread.

I endeavour to elicit a lively discussion by a bit of provocation.

Juan (27) is right that there is really very little here that is useful for anyone seeking real world MPGs as we all do very different types of driving. I believe the book figures are very useful in the context of the metrological parameters they are measured.

I am a known campaigner for the 1.8 TSI 7 speed DSG as an alternative for the VRS as most people know. I could have bought a TSI VRS as it was £2K cheaper than my 1.8 TSI DSG L&K. Performance and economy are up their splitting the two VRSs so, I feel, worthy considering as a "Third Way", ignore my suggestion and I am not hurt but I am glad the thought occured to me when buying last year and do not regret that decision one jot. Live long and prosper.

Edited by lol

Isn't that a full second quicker than standard? In damp conditions?

Isn't that a full second quicker than standard? In damp conditions?

Yes which just proves that the manufacturer figures are to be taken with a pinch of salt. Real world is where it is at not tables on the internet.

I absolutely belief that the manufacturers figures can be achieved all be it that it is very boring to do so. I have been getting closer to 39 mpg rather than 43 mpg becuase I have doing more urban than etra urban journeys plus giving it max acceleration at many opportunities. Use to get 48 mpg out of my company car, a 140 hp SEAT diesel with DSG which was exactly the book figure. I thought your fuelly figure was 40 something mpg?

16 dead is good and the 7.2 to sixty incredible! When we use to have a Fabia VRS Mk1 SE (#89) I remember reading reports that it hade been measured at around 8s 0-60, fastastic with only 130 hp. Good luck loday as the weather is due to be toasty and good for traction!

my fuelly is just shy of 48 but I do a lot of urban. My journey to work easily sees 55mpg without driving like a nun.

Anyway on to the results!

0-60 in 6.98

1/4 mile 15.49

27mpg!

Will post full results when I have the print out after 2pm.

That was achieved with a boot full of stuff from camping so no doubt this could be improved on.

Just goes to show manufacturers figures mean nothing.

My fuelly figures Will be down on the next fill up as I had engine running for an hour last night after a flat battery and warming up the engine this morning pre sprint and obviously the sprint! Still on 48mpg on trip2 mind!

my fuelly is just shy of 48 but I do a lot of urban. My journey to work easily sees 55mpg without driving like a nun.

Anyway on to the results!

0-60 in 6.98

1/4 mile 15.49

27mpg!

Will post full results when I have the print out after 2pm.

That was achieved with a boot full of stuff from camping so no doubt this could be improved on.

Just goes to show manufacturers figures mean nothing.

My fuelly figures Will be down on the next fill up as I had engine running for an hour last night after a flat battery and warming up the engine this morning pre sprint and obviously the sprint! Still on 48mpg on trip2 mind!

Very respectable result!

Think you said it was a bit disappointing how many other Skodas were there, how did they do do you know?

Just occured to me, do they leave your reaction time in our subtract it or show it seperately??

Edited by lol

Very respectable result!

Think you said it was a bit disappointing how many other Skodas were there, how did they do do you know?

Only very respectable?? Eating your words springs to mind.....a FULL 1.3Secs quicker to 60 than the holy manufacturers figures which i always take with a pinch of salt....along with the MPG....and this was achieved over just 2 runs.

Well done there, mighty impressive :yes:

Thanks very much :thumbup:

Just occured to me, do they leave your reaction time in our subtract it or show it seperately??

Don't think they take reaction time into account, not sure.....I have my printout but its still in the car, i will scan it in tomorrow when i am burning a little less....Bit disappointed with the printout as you used to get a graph with your speed along the whole course and the terminal speed....i believe that it was just below 100mph though...

Someone has gone very quiet on this thread.....

No reply and no fuelly links. :giggle:

Good stuff jrw-I haven't read the whole thread as I find these MPG ones a bit tedious to say the least, but is your car standard or remapped? That's a bloody good result either way. :thumbup:

I have used a G-Tech device in the past to time 0-60 runs, which is supposed to be pretty accurate-bought from Demon Tweeks, but now kaput unfortunately-and remember clocking a 6.6sec time in a PD VRS Estate, albeit on a slight downhill slope. I can almost believe that figure now!!!

Good stuff jrw-I haven't read the whole thread as I find these MPG ones a bit tedious to say the least, but is your car standard or remapped? That's a bloody good result either way. :thumbup:

I have used a G-Tech device in the past to time 0-60 runs, which is supposed to be pretty accurate-bought from Demon Tweeks, but now kaput unfortunately-and remember clocking a 6.6sec time in a PD VRS Estate, albeit on a slight downhill slope. I can almost believe that figure now!!!

It is standard. Can't justify £175 insurance for a remap.

To stop thread spoiling i have created a sprint thread here http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/205887-gti-international-2011-sprint-results/page__view__getnewpost :thumbup:

Someone has gone very quiet on this thread.....

No reply and no fuelly links. :giggle:

Been away. My fuel consumption has been dropping like a stone in my TSI due to RTA hold ups, West London driving and the high temperatures needing the air con more I think. On the computer, over last 3K, it has dropped to 39.5 mpg and therefore with the 5% over-reading I reckon theat is around 37.5 mpg. Tragic. Asked my accounts to send me 5 months of fuel card data so I can find out the mpg which I suspect will be around the 40 mpg but will be interesting. Thankfully I do not pay directly for most of my fuel costs as I would have a difficult choice. Hope Skoda have some even better technology in the pipeline.