DAYLIGHT RUNNING LIGHTS

Bought my new Octavia Estate Elegance last month. Pre registered just before Christmas it was unsold until I came along and bought it with just 9 miles on the clock.

The model came with DLR lights fitted in beside the foglights but they were not working. Following advice from the forum I booked into the dealer to have the lights activated.

Surprise or what? the lights cannot be activated, there are bulbs fitted and wires also but they cannot be activated.

The logic escapes me!

Sometimes the dealer is unable to access certain areas of the electronics with the equipment available to them. However, after I got my new Octavia in March I accessed the system with VCDS and got them working within a few minutes. After activation they can be turned off or on at will if you've got maxi-dot on the dash.

Edit: Or if no maxi-dot use the indicator stalk as described in the user manual.

Mac

Perhaps try a different dealer?

Or indeed anyone with VCDS who knows what they are doing?

The dealers VAS system is just not user friendly enough, so most of the time they will tell you that it is not possible, when really what they mean is they don't know how to change the coding.

no need to go to dealer,

put key in ignition, turn on electrics, within 3 seconds of doing that pull the indicator stork towards you and up to activate, pull down to deactivate.

no need to go to dealer,

put key in ignition, turn on electrics, within 3 seconds of doing that pull the indicator stork towards you and up to activate, pull down to deactivate.

That will only work after they have been coded though.

Bought my new Octavia Estate Elegance last month. Pre registered just before Christmas it was unsold until I came along and bought it with just 9 miles on the clock.

The model came with DLR lights fitted in beside the foglights but they were not working. Following advice from the forum I booked into the dealer to have the lights activated.

Surprise or what? the lights cannot be activated, there are bulbs fitted and wires also but they cannot be activated.

The logic escapes me!

As mentioned already..They need activating

Your dealer appears to be as much use as a chocolate fire guard

no need to go to dealer,

This procedure only works once they have been activated by a dealer or by someone with VDS.

Agree with above, try another dealer, preferably one that knows what they are doing.

It's the same problem I have with my 2 days old Octavia 1.8tsi. I'll call the dealer and ask if they could take care of this, hope they could..! By the way, Skoda is very RARE in Thailand and there is only one Skoda dealer in Bangkok.

Wish me luck.. Thanks for the useful advices.

Just had my lights activated by Worthing dealers, Birchwood. They did it whilst I waited - it took about 2 minutes and I was given the option of having either the headlights or or those next to the fogs as DLRs. Apparantly some are activated before leaving the factory. It just depends on how the guy feels when he sets the car up!

• 1 month later...

Just had my lights activated by Worthing dealers, Birchwood. They did it whilst I waited - it took about 2 minutes and I was given the option of having either the headlights or or those next to the fogs as DLRs. Apparantly some are activated before leaving the factory. It just depends on how the guy feels when he sets the car up!

Tried to use the indicator stalk method today, but nothing happening on my 1.6 MPI SE...does this mean it'll never work, or just that I need to get the dealer to activate the DRL function. As I have no front fog lights, it'll be the sidelights/headlights I assume?

The logic escapes me!

Which dealer was it and whereabouts are you?

• 1 month later...

Which dealer was it and whereabouts are you?

Just a point of interest, I asked my dealer, Vindis Skoda (Cambridge) to activate the DRLs on my 09 Octavia Elegance as part of the 20k service and they did just that - no questions.

So, now I have the DRLs in the fogs lit up - and I like the way the car looks with them on.

You don't need the dealer to turn them on, you can do it yourself.

Turn the ignition on (electrics) don't start it, within 3 seconds pull the left indicator stork towards you and push up as if you are indicating right. The car should then bing, do the opposite (inicate left) to deactivate the DRL's.

Hopefully that helps.

You don't need the dealer to turn them on, you can do it yourself.

It depends if they have been activated in the factory. If so then yes, as above, you can turn them on and off yourself.

However some owners have first had to have their dealer activate them before they could be turned on and off.

Sorry about late reply (out of country a lot).

The dealer I used was Benfield in Newcastle, they did however activate the dip beam to act as DLR.

dONT MIND TOO MUCH, ECEPT THEY USE ABOUT 2 X THE POWER TO OPERATE.

Sorry about late reply (out of country a lot).

The dealer I used was Benfield in Newcastle, they did however activate the dip beam to act as DLR.

dONT MIND TOO MUCH, ECEPT THEY USE ABOUT 2 X THE POWER TO OPERATE.

Assuming yours is a facelift and has the front fogs I would ask them to switch the DRL function from dipped headlights to the dedicated DRL's.

Looks much better :thumbup:

SkodaOctaviaDRL.jpg

Aren't DRLs a legal requirement for new cars now hence they have a legal obligation to ensure they work???

Only on newly introduced models.

As the Octavia was in production prior to the legislation (February 2011) it does not need to have them by law.

Most manufacturers fit them regardless as they are a desirable feature.

The logic escapes me!

You need someone with a VCDS and program as follows - 09-Central Electronics -> Byte 15, bit 6 set, bit 7 set.

Also, when you use the indicator you can dim the running light on that side by programming thus - Select Control Module - Cent Elec 09 > Coding > Long Coding Helper > Byte 15 > Tick Bit 3 - Daytime Running Lights (DRL's) inactive with Turn Signals active > Exit > Do it.<br style="mso-special-character:line-break"> <br style="mso-special-character:line-break">Mac

<br style="mso-special-character:line-break"> <br style="mso-special-character:line-break">