How far can you drive without refueling in a Roomster

yesterday when we returned from our weeken trip I got the following reading on our maxidot:

6faed7eb.jpg

168 km driven since last refuel + range 880 km equals 1050 km total driving distance on one tank (this equals 650 miles). And this was while travelling mostly on motorways at 75 mph.

Edited by the_raz

But that is only an estimate based on the cars pre programmed average mpg; my car regularly shows "0 miles" for about 40-100 miles before I fill up, and "280 miles" with a filled tank (I always wait until the "empty" light has been on for about 20-30 miles to avoid the buiuld up of sludge in the tank). Yet I usually manage 300 miles beore filling, even on the short, urban school runs I have most weeks

The furthest I have gone on one tank was in an old Audi 100, but it DID have an 18 gallon tank!!! It regularly gave over 650 miles per tank around town.

I managed Malvern to Newquay and back, averaging 100 mph on the motorway, 120 mph over Bodmin moor, pottering around the Newquay area for a fortnight and a weekend stop and putter around in Yeovil on the way back on one tank of petrol.

Which came out to about 800 miles. (average mpg = 44)

Audi managed to get one to keep going for over 1100 miles in a record attempt, but they cheated, it was on a test track running on a special "fast idle" setting.

Hi GG

As this is a Roomster forum I was more thinking along the lines of what kind of fuel consumption people are getting with their Roomsters. I know that 600 miles with one tank is not particularly much as such, especially with a diesel. With our previous 1.9 TDI Roomster I was regularly seeing ranges of 750 miles so this is not new to me.

At the moment I seem to be getting around 630 miles between fill-ups, putting around 54 litres in at that time. Being in Cornwall, that includes a lot of hills. To be honest, I am a little disappointed with the mileage I am getting. It is a real struggle to average much more than about 52 mpg. With the non-turbo 1.9 diesels in my previous Fabia and Polo I averaged about 53 / 54 (including a lot of low gear work with learners).

I don't do many learners these days, mainly dealing with experienced drivers, so reckon I should be getting better figures than this. On a long journey at a sustained 70 and it's about 52, with the previous 2 it would have been around the 60 mark.

Conclusions?

1 - the Roomster probably isn't very aerodynamic.

2 - the 1.4 PD engine may be inherently less economic that the 1.9 SDi was.

Rob.

Edited by keystonedriving

Guys, since owning the Roomy (1.9TDi) I have kept a log of fuel consumption figures. These are based on the brim to brim method:

2008 mileage was 10151, fuel consumption 47.4mpg.

2009 mileage was 7118, fuel consumption 51mpg.

2010 mileage was 10790 fuel consumption was 52.771mpg - lets call it 53mpg.

2011 mileage to date 2646 fuel consumption 54.06mpg.

Usage is a mixture of motorway (Newcastle upon Tyne/Edinburgh) and country roads (Aberystwyth)together with the usual local Sainsbury/Tesco runs.

My driving style is less heavy footed these days and I have started to drive with the current fuel consumption display showing (how sad can I get).

Topped up the other day and the display claimed I can drive 783 miles before a refill. A few runs round town will drop that figure.

Salut

But that is only an estimate based on the cars pre programmed average mpg;

That is not correct. Miles to go is calculated based on actual fuel consumption over the previous 30km.

That is why you can fill up, crawl 10 miles in urban traffic and then get out on the motorway and see the miles to go actually INCREASE as you drive.

This photo is 80Km after refueling. Yes I have a light foot and always use 95RON petrol.

2011-04-24163804.jpg

The longest trip without refueling was last summer. Covered 740 Km at speed from 80 (tunnels) and 120 (open roads) and still had 240km autonomy shown on trip computer.

When i am moving only in the city it covers about 600 - 650 Km, if i am traveling it covers about 900 - 1010 Km. I saw once 4.9 lt/100km traveling at 60 - 80 km.

Edited by stratosg

I'm jealous. I just get 300 miles from a 50+ litre fill. But the trip computer says it should be 450 miles. Of course, all journeys over here are like city journeys. Puts our 114 pence per litre petrol costs into perspective though.

Edited by Calomax

Not a roomster owner but i have three ineresting ecomony figures im gonna chuck in

Porsche 944 3.0ltr 1990yr 241bhp got 623miles or 996km to a full tank once!!(cheating slightly as car has whopping 80ltr tank)

BMW 320D ES 2010yr 177bhp got 856miles or 1386km to a full 65litre tank!! (it's meant to do 58.9mpg anyway)

Shockingly in a Brand NEw Alfa Mito 1.4TB 170bhp cloverleaf with suggested economy figures of 47.2mph i got 132miles or 211km to ONE WHOLE FULL TANK driving on Public roads!! used the whole tank in one day... it was the first day i got it and i was enjoying it ALOT

I just get 300 miles from a 50+ litre fill. Puts our 114 pence per litre petrol costs into perspective though.

Sadly, it also puts the cost of running a tiptronic into perspective. I would have loved an auto when I bought my Roomy but the high fuel consumption (and hence road tax) was the deciding factor. My 1.9TDI goes between 650 and 750 miles on a tankful.

If only Skoda had introduced the 1.2TSI DSG two years earlier...

My 1.9TDI goes between 650 and 750 miles on a tankful.

I used to get the same mileage from our old 1.9 TDI as well - at least according to the Maxidot. I never dared to drive more than 600 miles on one thank though.

If only Skoda had introduced the 1.2TSI DSG two years earlier...

I can confirm that this is one great combination. I was really suprised to see the (even theoretical) possibility to drive over 620 miles on one tank.

I normally get about 600 miles out of mine, based on my normal commute of 20 miles of A, B and City roads... We have just got back from Berlin and yesterday did Berlin to Aachen in 6 1/2 hours sat at about 130kph and consumption was a very poor 42mpg... Compare that with a similar run with the Fabia Estate with the same engine and gearing which did mid 50s and even top 40s with the aircon on... It shows just how un-aerodynamic the Roomster (and other van based and "tall" cars) are and shows why i won't be considering one later this year...

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, yes please! Wonder why it is they only do the diesel DSGs on the larger cars... The dealer told me it was because they couldn't get enough 'boxes, but that doesn't explain why they have petrol versions...

I guess the cost of diesel+DSG is too much in a car of the Roomster's size and price...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I can squeeze about 700 miles out of my Roomster 1.9 from a full tank.

Interestingly the mpg has progressively improved as the miles have clocked up. My Roomster has covered 75k miles (three years old) and the computer tells me that my mpg average (on the 2 setting, not the trip) is 61mpg. Most of my driving is at 65-70mph on cruise control.

Don't know if you've tried a few "brim to brim" fills to get true reading? Whilst 62 sounds good, my computer over reads by about 7.5% which would knock that down to mid 50s...

I can confirm that the fuel consumption figure the car gives is somewhat optimistic - my last tankful worked out at a gnats over 52 mpg, the bulk of it was two 300 mile journeys with the car saying it was averaging all but 57 mpg. The odd journeys included also all showed over 50 mpg. I'd say a 7.5% over read is about right.

This is a 1.4 TDi (80 bhp), by the way.

Rob.

There were discussions about the incorrectness of the consumptions figures given by the car over at the Yeti forums some time ago, and there the conclusion was that for the diesels the consumption figure given by the car is too low, and the reason is probably the regeneration of the DPF. For the petrol engines the reading is accurate to within 1% (I have tried bot on our Yeti and our current Roomster, both with 1.2 TSI DSG).

If you have access to a VCDS cable (or know someone who has) you can calibrate the consumption figure - you need to know the % by which it is off and add this figure. On the previously mentioned Petrol Yeti I ended up setting the correction to 101%, and then the MaxiDot was accurate compared to a brim-to-brim (actually first click -> first click). On our Roomster the correction is currently set to 102%, and currenty the MaxiDot is showing higher consumption than the actual.

Of course these calculatiion are based on the assumption that the distance travelled is more or less correct, but since I am using stock tires I assume that the distance is measured reasonably correct - I have not compared with a GPS to be sure.

I'm not sure about blaming the DPF! I've had three Skodas with the computer, all diesels and none with the DPF, one was spot-on, one over-read by 5% and this one by 7.5%... All were running on the wheels and tyres they came with and were all higher end models...

Last week done trip of 141 miles, mostly non motorway,computer said 62 miles per 1.033 gals. Not bad.Car is 1.2tdi,with 2067mls on clock.Great Engine I think.

New ones seem to weird consumption figures. Mine gives it in miles per ONE gallon.And over 2 1/2 years the readout has been almost 100% accurate.

Edited by Calomax