need help Faulty engine after computer chip installation

Hi guys,

last week I had installed a computer chip in my Skoda Octavia VRS 2002 and during the test drive all of my spark plug wires got destroyed. I bought 4 new spark plug wires and also 4 new IK20 Spark plugs and now the engine runs okay when idle.

However, the problem is that when I accelerate from 1000-5000 RPM it is like one cylender is cut off when the turbopressure gets close to 1 bar and the turbometer fluctuates from 0.7 to 1 bar during quick acceleration. Now the car accelerates like this _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ instead of just smooth ______________.

Anything over 5000RPM is okay because then the pressure is somewhat lower than 1 bar.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Tomas.

I take it this is an "interceptor" unit, which is plugged into the main Engine Management Unit? If so, have you tried taking it off again?

If you've had a remap done, or someone has physically soldered an extra chip onto the EMU motherboard, you need to take the matter up with the tuner concerned.

• 3 weeks later...

hi there m8.

i don't know wheter it is a interceptor unit because it is only at certain boost pressure.

So far i think this is called turbo surge and I am trying to find some way to fix this :)

anyway thanks for your response, appreciated

tomas

I take it this is an "interceptor" unit, which is plugged into the main Engine Management Unit? If so, have you tried taking it off again?

If you've had a remap done, or someone has physically soldered an extra chip onto the EMU motherboard, you need to take the matter up with the tuner concerned.

Who has done this work for you? and what chip is it, sounds like they did a pretty poor job to me.

Turbo surge can only be fixed by getting the thing altered, so you'll still need to take it up with the company doing the work.

I would get the car put back to how it was, then go with a reputable company. We have plenty on here using Shark Performance, Unit 18, Jabba, Revo and more.

Why oh why would anyone feel the need to replace the chip when these are flashable via obd? Madness!

I hope you get it sorted out soon, but i would have your original chip put back on and then have it flashed, much better for you!

Www.ChipMyCar.co.uk do a self remap tool and map for a reasonable price which allows you to put the car back to standard whenever you want and also do engine diagnostics

Your spark plugs don't have wires. They have coilpacks which sit directly on top of the plugs.

It could be:

Bad coilpack (s) causing misfiring under boost

Spark plug gao sent wrong (They're set too wide at the factory for the 1.8t. Should be 0.7mm)

N75 Valve is sticking, causing WOT Surging. Mine had this and replacing the n75 fixed it.

Or the 'chip' is pants. Where did you get the chip from? Does it plug in, or did you get different software flashed onto your car?

Your spark plugs don't have wires. They have coilpacks which sit directly on top of the plugs.

It could be:

Bad coilpack (s) causing misfiring under boost

Spark plug gao sent wrong (They're set too wide at the factory for the 1.8t. Should be 0.7mm)

N75 Valve is sticking, causing WOT Surging. Mine had this and replacing the n75 fixed it.

Or the 'chip' is pants. Where did you get the chip from? Does it plug in, or did you get different software flashed onto your car?

Hello there

Okay you are right about the wires. I meant coilpacks ;). I changed them all 4 and also 4 new ik20 plugs(I think they are 0.7mm). But still problem. However when I disconnect the N75 valve the car runns fine, but then the car is 60-70bhp less i think. I also tried putting a manual boost controller and the car was a little better but not perfect. Any thoughts guys and thanks for your interest :D

I did not buy some cheap fake chip, I bought this one for 90GBP: Chip The chip is not plugged in. I had to open the ECU and take the stock chip out and put this one in. Took about an hour to do.

here are some pics:

ECU before

ECU after

and one of the car :)

IMG_0290.jpg

Who has done this work for you? and what chip is it, sounds like they did a pretty poor job to me.

Turbo surge can only be fixed by getting the thing altered, so you'll still need to take it up with the company doing the work.

I would get the car put back to how it was, then go with a reputable company. We have plenty on here using Shark Performance, Unit 18, Jabba, Revo and more.

okay I will do that if I can't fix this, that is if this is not a problem with my car :)

thanks

It would make sense that disconnecting the n75 makes the car smoother. The ecu uses the n75 to control boost by opening the wastegate. If the n75 is disconnected, the turbo opens it's own wastegate, but it can only produce around 8 psi of boost this way.

Do you know anyone with a good n75 you could borrow? I had a dodgy one which was causing the exact same issue as you're having. The N75 gets slow to react, and causes over/underboost spikes. If the car is on the original N75, it may be tired. Mine is a 2002 car too.

It would make sense that disconnecting the n75 makes the car smoother. The ecu uses the n75 to control boost by opening the wastegate. If the n75 is disconnected, the turbo opens it's own wastegate, but it can only produce around 8 psi of boost this way.

Do you know anyone with a good n75 you could borrow? I had a dodgy one which was causing the exact same issue as you're having. The N75 gets slow to react, and causes over/underboost spikes. If the car is on the original N75, it may be tired. Mine is a 2002 car too.

yeah it is like stock but only slightly less power.

I don't know anyone with this exact valve but thanks for the advice ;). I'll probably just buy a new valve and see if that is the problem. If not I'll just take the loss. I want my car to be good :). New valve is only around 50bucks or so I think.

Did you have a chip or map in your ecu when you got this problem with the n75 valve?

Thanks,

Tomas,

ICELAND.

I did not buy some cheap fake chip, I bought this one for 90GBP: Chip The chip is not plugged in. I had to open the ECU and take the stock chip out and put this one in. Took about an hour to do.

here are some pics:

ECU before

ECU after

and one of the car :)

IMG_0290.jpg

That is still a cheap chip and not a direction i would take or most folks on here to getting a reliable map. There is really only one way of guaranteed reliable mapping is to get the ECU flashed by a tuner that has the benefit of adjusting the map to suit the cars various settings. Yes a generic map will suit most cars but not all. I had mine mapped and put on a rolling road to see what was going on and ensure all was well.

I would put back to std and verify the coilpack wiring you replaced and plugs still make car run ok in std form. If yes then you can count out your wiring and plugs and potentially your N75 valve and point to the chip.

I have a spare N75 if you wish to verify that. PM me if you want it.

By the way I like the look of your car. Rear roof spoiler looks nice. Where did you get it?

Colour coding trim looks good too. :thumbup:

Agree with bowders - The chip might not be any good, but theres a chance it just might be OK too. Depends on who wrote it. If the new N75 doesn't fix it, at least you know you have a working one and it can't be that. They don't last forever anyway. It may be that the pulsing is there with the standard map, but less noticeable due to less bost etc.

And to Poweradz, I have a Shark performance remap, and cleaned and calibrated the TB before I got it (Looked pretty clean as the car only had 38k on when I mapped it).

Have you removed your cheep chip?

no not yet because I want to have more power, but only without a surge though :) will change the n75 valve next week and see if that's the problem.

That is still a cheap chip and not a direction i would take or most folks on here to getting a reliable map. There is really only one way of guaranteed reliable mapping is to get the ECU flashed by a tuner that has the benefit of adjusting the map to suit the cars various settings. Yes a generic map will suit most cars but not all. I had mine mapped and put on a rolling road to see what was going on and ensure all was well.I would put back to std and verify the coilpack wiring you replaced and plugs still make car run ok in std form. If yes then you can count out your wiring and plugs and potentially your N75 valve and point to the chip.I have a spare N75 if you wish to verify that. PM me if you want it.By the way I like the look of your car. Rear roof spoiler looks nice. Where did you get it?Colour coding trim looks good too. :thumbup:

Yeah i know this was the only chipcompany I found which could send the chip to me. All other companies will only map the ecu if I send it to them and that means I'll have to live without a car here in Iceland until it is done.

That sounds like a good idea you have there. Or at least a safe one! Why do you have a spare n75? I'm gonna check and see how much a new one costs here in iceland and if that is some ridiculous price I'll talk to you ;). The rear roof spoiler was on my car when I bought it. I thought vRS came original with 2 spoilers? Thanks.

Agree with bowders - The chip might not be any good, but theres a chance it just might be OK too. Depends on who wrote it. If the new N75 doesn't fix it, at least you know you have a working one and it can't be that. They don't last forever anyway. It may be that the pulsing is there with the standard map, but less noticeable due to less bost etc.

And to Poweradz, I have a Shark performance remap, and cleaned and calibrated the TB before I got it (Looked pretty clean as the car only had 38k on when I mapped it).

Yeah I checked the feedback which was over 99% so I thought I could give this chip a try. I think the boost only goes to 0.3 bar with the standard map and with the modified map it goes to 1.0 bar with 1.3 bar overpressure so I guess a good n75 valve is necessary with that map.

Okay I think I'll clean and recalibrate the tb next week and that's one more thing that I can put of my checklist to fix this :).

One thought: do you think this problem could be due to a bad intercooler?

No it's the cheep chip, remove the chip and talk to shark performance about the sts system. You should not have to send your ecu away to get it remapped.

It will be a waste of money changing these things if they only started to play up after the 'chip'

No it's the cheep chip, remove the chip and talk to shark performance about the sts system. You should not have to send your ecu away to get it remapped.

It will be a waste of money changing these things if they only started to play up after the 'chip'

Okay i can give them a try. But I don't want the sts system because I would not use it. I always want to have more power, never go to stock again hehe..

if the n75 valve does not fix this and the tb clean then I'll probably just send the damn ECU to shark or revo or some.

Thanks for your input sir

I agree there, I am surprised that you can still get chips when nearly all ECU's are flashable no.

the fact its off ebay is bad enough but the add doesnt sound right to me and also states it lifts the boost limit to 1 bar and has an overboost to 1.3........

that in its self can cause the unsmooth driving can it not?

hope you get it sorted mate. no map is perfect and as smooth as the OE one, well not in my experience and Ive had Red Dot map, APR, CCCTech/ Upsolute map, Imposible performance, and RS Tuning maps. the RS and IP ones are good but still not smooth as the OE one. the extra power does make up for it tho.

billy

Yeah I checked the feedback which was over 99% so I thought I could give this chip a try. I think the boost only goes to 0.3 bar with the standard map and with the modified map it goes to 1.0 bar with 1.3 bar overpressure so I guess a good n75 valve is necessary with that map.

The feedback maybe over 99% but because all the auctions are private you cannot see what the feedback is for, for all you know it could be anything other than car related maps. A genuine seller with nothing to hide would not have private auctions. Also some people leave feedback as soon as they get the item they purchased, and later find out that the product is poor, then find they cannot alter the feedback later on.

remove it mate and get your money back.

I had my first remap off Red Dot in Watford from seing an ebay ad saying full custom remap. Went and he only got 196 bhp out of it!!!!!

I had that much trouble with it I got my money back coz it was S$%T. Had a few others and not many impressed me tbh. all have some form of hesitation of lumpy ness, only very monor and its only under partial acceleration I find it on my RSTuning map or the Imposible Performance generic one. I use the IP one as its less power but more eco lol for traveling.

shame you cant get another ECU and have it work on your car so you can send your ecu to have it flashed. Take it there is no tuners over in Iceland?

:thumbup: