First MOT & Timing Belt/Chain

My third year of ownership will be completed in September. My plan is to book the first MOT for August in order to have any problems rectified under the remaining one month of the warranty. Has anyone done this and had work completed?

My 2008 Roomster 3 has the 1.6 16V petrol engine - anyone know if this is a chain or belt driven camshaft? I'm guessing it's a chain, 'cos I can hear a faint ticking related to engine speed, once it's warmed up.

Thanks.

Yep i had the waterpump done after they thought it was out of warranty and kindly tried to upsell to me! One week before the warranty expired i had that done :thumbup:

My third year of ownership will be completed in September. My plan is to book the first MOT for August in order to have any problems rectified under the remaining one month of the warranty. Has anyone done this and had work completed?

My 2008 Roomster 3 has the 1.6 16V petrol engine - anyone know if this is a chain or belt driven camshaft? I'm guessing it's a chain, 'cos I can hear a faint ticking related to engine speed, once it's warmed up.

Thanks.

I think it is a belt driven camshaft but i don't bet my head. Take a look at your owner's manual or make a call to a Skoda dealer.

If you book in your 1st MOT up to 28 days before it is due, remember to take in your reg document so the expiry date of the mot can be made up to the registration date.

Mark

So would it be right to assume that being a chain , it wont need replacing for some years yet?I admit I have never had a car with a timing chain , but wouldn,t they have at least twice the life span of a belt.

I suppose the answer to my question would be in the owners handbook for the 1.6?

So would it be right to assume that being a chain , it wont need replacing for some years yet?I admit I have never had a car with a timing chain , but wouldn,t they have at least twice the life span of a belt.

I suppose the answer to my question would be in the owners handbook for the 1.6?

Chains apparently stretch as well (just had the chain done on my daughter's Corsa). I believe it's rare for them to break, in comparison with a timing belt. looked in the service book but couldn't find anything on when it should be changed, although the figure of 40K miles is in my head for some reason!

The only issue I found with chain driven is the tickover can be it a bit up and down when it stretches. This happened on 1 1.4 fabia although those models did not have any tensioner